SSR Lovers and Owners Part 3

Where is Chip n Dale's Cafe near the golf course? Hope we get a room in the Paddock area, but the Cafe looks like it has some good options. What do people think of their offerings? Thanks!
LoL, It took me a minute or 2 to find out what in the world you were talking about...I've been over at SSR numerous times and played golf there like 4 times, and I never even knew that it was there..LoL
It is on the backside of the carriage House, ground level, kinda below the Turf club *(going towards the boat launch area)....It does have a rather large menu, and now that I know about it, I'm definitely going to give it a visit this fall.

LoL, It took me a minute or 2 to find out what in the world you were talking about...I've been over at SSR numerous times and played golf there like 4 times, and I never even knew that it was there..LoL
It is on the backside of the carriage House, ground level, kinda below the Turf club *(going towards the boat launch area)....It does have a rather large menu, and now that I know about it, I'm definitely going to give it a visit this fall.
Wow, no kidding. I'm embarrassed to mention how many Disney bloggers/YouTubers, etc that I watch and I've never heard mention of this either.

Where is Chip n Dale's Cafe near the golf course? Hope we get a room in the Paddock area, but the Cafe looks like it has some good options. What do people think of their offerings? Thanks!

We passed it several times on the way to the boat dock, but never stopped. They do not take the DDP for meals, just so you know.

Does anybody know if pool hours are posted for March? I'm not sure if I need to temper my kids' expectations for swimming on our arrival day.

We arrived 2/16. Booked a one-bedroom preferred. Got to SSR about 12:45. Had lunch. Room was not yet ready. There were no seats at the main pool. Went to Congress Park pool. Room became ready at 3:55. We lucked out with a room in Congress Park. Will post room view and number once we check out. Main pool hours are 10-8, and most pool chairs are gone or saved by 10:05 am as they let people in a few minutes early.

Here now..put a post of my experience on the main DVC resort page. This post is about busses. This morning at 6:30 dd and I went out to get the bus at carousel. We were crossing the street and running to the bus. The bus stopped, opened its door and left. I was waving trying to get the guy's attention. He didn't see me, I get it, but why wouldn't the bus wait a minute to see if anyone is coming? We started racing to the paddock.stop..we were a sight. Then a disney van driver saw us and gave us ride to next stop on bus loop. We had a breakfast reservation and did not want to.wait 20 minutes for another bus. When returning from.MK we saw the Saratoga bus pulling out and we were right there getting to the gate...waved our arms..looked the guy in the eye and he just drove on. I bet they aren't allowed to stop but this morning kinda floored me. Has anyone else had this experience?

Here now..put a post of my experience on the main DVC resort page. This post is about busses. This morning at 6:30 dd and I went out to get the bus at carousel. We were crossing the street and running to the bus. The bus stopped, opened its door and left. I was waving trying to get the guy's attention. He didn't see me, I get it, but why wouldn't the bus wait a minute to see if anyone is coming? We started racing to the paddock.stop..we were a sight. Then a disney van driver saw us and gave us ride to next stop on bus loop. We had a breakfast reservation and did not want to.wait 20 minutes for another bus. When returning from.MK we saw the Saratoga bus pulling out and we were right there getting to the gate...waved our arms..looked the guy in the eye and he just drove on. I bet they aren't allowed to stop but this morning kinda floored me. Has anyone else had this experience?

It happens and it's really upsetting when it does! If the driver has started to pull out, he/she is not supposed to stop and allow anyone to board. However, we did once see someone running after a bus that had clearly left its slot at Epcot, had passed the last slot and was ready to make the right turn to exit; but this person wasn't going to give up and we were shocked to see the bus driver stop the bus and let the man on in the middle of the roadway!

We also saw a time at Disney Springs (while still Downtown Disney) where it was pouring rain, the driver had JUST closed his door; the bus was still in its slot and was almost empty; a couple arrived (drenched) and stood there practically begging for him to open the door and he proceeded to drive off. The 6 or 7 of us on the bus were shouting at the driver to stop, but he proceeded to leave. >:(

I've seen many drivers wait when they see people walking toward their stop, even when it was fairly obvious the guests were going to another bus stop. Those are the drivers who deserve our praise! :worship:

My advice is if you can get the bus # - report it with the location and time of day. :thumbsup2

My DW and I were at Wilderness Lodge in December. We walked over to the boat to MK. As we walked up the dock the boat was there and was loading. The boat operator had closed the rope gate as we walked up the dock. The boat operator looked over at my DW and I, picked up the metal ramp to get on the boat, closed the door and took off. The other boat operator to go to the other resorts, walked over and said he should have had us board. No boat for 30 minutes due to Electric Water Parade. It’s frustrating.

Anyone know what the pools hours are in March? Seems our weekend is the start of spring break at WDW so I’m hoping that means expanded pool hours.

We are planning a short trip in December. We are looking to arrive 12/17 and leave 12/20. How are the crowds?

We've been here since Sunday, and coincidentally, we stopped by Chip 'n Dale for a quick bite yesterday. I had the club sandwich, and it was tasty--not great but solid (they don't give you pickle). They can take any sandwich, by the way, and make it into a salad which they did for my wife (she had the club salad). Again, good but not amazing. They do have other options, such as a cucumber-based sandwich which sounds refreshing. Service was quick and efficient. You can ask for any item to go, as well, which we did as we went back to the room and ate there.

I've read on another thread that the Congress Park building refurbs are complete and that crews have moved to The Springs. Are there any official sources confirming this? We check in this weekend (preferred one bedroom), and like everyone else, are hoping we luck out with a room in CP. The new rooms look amazing and I hope we get a sprinkling of Disney magic. :)
Most of the major renovation at CP is done; however, there are still crews working on some rooms here, and given the number of trucks and personnel involved, it appears there is still some serious work being done (some of the trucks are electrical and cooling contractors). We are in 2123, so our room has been renovated, as well as the other rooms here in this particular building. Right next door, however, Villas 25xx-28xx, there appears to be quite a bit of refurb activity. On the other side of us, essentially the rest of CP, there is very little to no work being done that we can see.

As for the room itself (studio), overall, it's a huge improvement over the older style. Naturally, being newer means it's shiny, largely undamaged, and quite clean.
- The new standard bed for the most recent refurbishments and construction is here, so plenty of storage underneath. No duvet, just white top spread, thin blanket, and sheet on top of fitted sheet.
- Big dresser with 6 drawers, a murphy bed mounted in the wall, a movable coffee table that shifts into table with storage inside, a sitting bench with two drawers, and two bedside tables with plugs and ports. The large dresser has power outlets and ports on both ends, as well, so your electronics should be well-served.
- Lighting is decent to good.
- The small fridge has no freezer.
- Utensils, plates, cups, are all plastic or paper.
- Automatic ventilation fan comes on with any activity in the bathroom area and stays on until it senses no movement after 5-10 minutes.
- Wall-mounted dispensers for shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. However, they still give you a couple of small soap bars and a small tube of lotion.
- TP is terrible as it is at every location within Disney, anymore.
- Big TV swings out from the wall which is convenient since the bed is off to one side.
- Furnishings are nice but as with most things dealing with Disney theming, quite bland and a bit monotonous. There is a touch of color in the wall behind the murphy bed which has a horse's head in a stable, but even that is mostly browns and grays. In fact, not one thing in the room is anything other than a variation of brown, black, cream, gray, or brass. The only noticeable Disney "artifact" in the room is a riding cap shaped with Mickey ears in one of the small wall prints. My wife calls it clean and minimalistic--I call it boring. Generic is a good word.
- The shower/bath has good water flow and abundant hot water. There is a rainforest shower head along with a removable wand head shower nozzle.
- Coffee maker is typical drip style, not Keurig.
- Bathroom prep area has lighted mirror that swings out from the wall--nice touch says my wife. Oddly, on the opposite wall, the hand towel ring sits about six inches above the counter which makes it rather cumbersome as the towel then proceeds to take up room on the counter unless folded twice.
- Outdoor noise still a bit of an issue, though we've had good neighbors so far. Still, you can hear voices echoing along the hallways and the CM golf carts that roll by at all hours.
- Location is perfect for us--10 to 15 minutes to pretty much any place in DS, and our small verandah looks toward the quiet pool. For the person wondering about pool hours, the main pools are 10-8. The quiet pool is 7-11 which is great for a late night soak in the hot tub. . .and for watching ducks swimming in the actual pool.

Overall, this has been a marvelous trip. Our walk to the gym in the morning is about 5 minutes. We can get to DS in 10. We drive to the parks, and that's been easy enough, too. Never an issue for parking, either. With this new, albeit bland, refurbishment, SSR has risen a few spots in our estimation. We're looking forward to coming back here in future visits.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I'm typing this note early Friday morning, sitting on our verandah as the day begins to unfold, sipping coffee which we brewed in our room--we brought a Keurig and our own water. Anyway, it struck me last night that this newly refurbished room is reminiscent of the rooms we toured at Riviera. It has that same cream-brown-brass-gray color scheme, the similar minimalistic design to the artwork (only less color here), a very similar tile pattern in the bathroom and shower, and even the couch with the murphy bed looks almost the same. So, if you're a fan of Riviera, you'll love the new SSR. If not, then you may be disappointed.

Also, one final point. Garbage cans. Disney must expect you to not have much refuse as there are only two small receptacles in the room. One of them is in the bathroom proper, and the other is located next to the bench with drawers. It has two sections, one for recyclables and one for plain trash. Neither side is very big, and there's a cover on it with openings indicating which is which. It doesn't take long to fill either side, and as there is no plastic bag in them, you have to dump out items, such as unconsumed coffee, before tossing the cup away. Both fill up quickly.

The first four days, we had our trash emptied each day, so it wasn't an issue. Nothing happened yesterday: no trash, no towels, no spot check of which we were aware. Oddly, our very first day, we were visited and left with four extra towels and four extra hand towels. Go figure.

We ate dinner at the Turf Club last night, sitting out on the patio. Overall, it was a solid meal. The fried shrimp with a faintly Asian remoulade was very good as the batter was very light, and the shrimp juicy. My wife's NY strip was ordered med-rare but most of it was medium. Still, it was close and it was tasty. When they describe the broccolini as having garlic, they weren't kidding! We devour garlic, but this particular presentation almost had too much. However, it and my asparagus were cooked perfectly. Despite my concerns about the cook on it, I ordered the duck breast with confit. It came out med to med-well (I ordered med-rare), so it was a little chewy. Part of that issue also had to do with not rendering the skin quite long enough, too. However, it was overall a nice effort on the chef's part, and the fennel-parsnip puree was excellent. I've had far worse duck (Monsieur Paul, I'm talking about you) and far better (pretty much every time we make it at home). I capped off the night with a slice of lemon meringue pie, another solid though unremarkable effort. It was more of an icebox pie consistency, and it could have used a bit more actual lemon flavor. Service was again, solid. On an average night for business, it took 35 minutes between our appetizer and our entree, with our server coming out twice to apologize. Between finishing my dessert and getting the check was another 15 minutes. Again, he apologized, and that was fine. Would we eat there again? Sure. Would we make an effort to go there if not staying at SSR? No.

Finally, for those wondering about cleanliness, Disney has been better about wiping down things such as garbage cans and hand rails in resorts. They also have numerous self-dispensing hand sanitizer units at various entry points, such as the CP side entry to Disney Springs right past the boat dock. I've also noticed people taking greater care to wash hands and cough into their arms. We're heading out today for a one night stay at Kidani (long story) before heading home. It's been a marvelous trip.

It|'s a hidden gem. There Turkey Club is very good!

We are planning a December trip and wanted to ask about the renovations. Does anyone know which of the standard sections they will start on after they finish the Springs area? I know this is partly dependent on when real work can resume.

We are planning a December trip and wanted to ask about the renovations. Does anyone know which of the standard sections they will start on after they finish the Springs area? I know this is partly dependent on when real work can resume.
If you want a guaranteed Refurbished room, then I'd suggest putting in for a preferred room instead. Those in Springs should definitely be done by then. & CP I believe are all done.

In regards to your original question, I'm not sure which route they take next. My personal feeling would be Grandstand before Paddock, but who knows :confused3 .
The only drawback would be that you possibly can get stuck back in Carousel, which to me is Not where I'd like to be...Unless that is the only spot left on property.

SSR owners here (2008) and the first time I noticed this forum. YEAH.

We have reservations for Congress Park 3 bedroom grand villa preferred in Sept. My question is: what building number(s) should I "request" (when we get closer to the date) that is best located for access to DS and the bus stop? This will be for a family of 9 (family reunion vacation to MK and DCL). I want the optimum location for herding everyone. TIA.

SSR owners here (2008) and the first time I noticed this forum. YEAH.

We have reservations for Congress Park 3 bedroom grand villa preferred in Sept. My question is: what building number(s) should I "request" (when we get closer to the date) that is best located for access to DS and the bus stop? This will be for a family of 9 (family reunion vacation to MK and DCL). I want the optimum location for herding everyone. TIA.
We were at CP in early March, and we were in building 2101-2436, specifically in room 2122. That building, as well as building 1501-1836 are the two closest to the bus stop in CP. To be fair, none of the buildings in CP are far from the stop. The closest building to DS is 1101-1436, though again, all of CP is relatively close. We loved our location in that we could walk to the Carriage House in five minutes and to DS in under 10. Even better, the quiet pool and hot tub was literally right outside our ground floor room, maybe 40 yards away. And the quiet pool area opens early and stays open late: 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., I believe. The pool sits between buildings 2101-2436 and 1501-1836, as a reference. It's easy to call up a map of Saratoga Springs to see just how all the buildings lie in relation to your needs. Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter