SSR Lovers and Owners Part 3

We were moved to SS 2 BR from AOA. We are not preferred. I don't know a lot about the resort, it's one I've never stayed at and really only superficially even visited once. I was hoping for a renovated room that is walkable both to DS and the main building. Does a room like that exist??
The rooms that are close to Disney springs and the main building are preferred rooms. I think the best you could hope for is building 12 in the Paddock.
If you ask for the eastern side of the Grandstand it is not preferred and it is very near the lobby. You are also then halfway between the first drop off bus stop and the last pick up bus stop if you are going when the parks reopen for the buses. To my understanding at the moment though, these rooms have not been refurbished and are quite far from the DS entrance.
Just wanting to add that Congress Park (preferred) is the only section confirmed to have been refurbished so far. I believe they are now working on the other preferred section, the Springs. @CastAStone is correct with recommending the Paddock. My family and I have stayed here for several trips, most recently last summer. The rooms are a bit worn, but we really didn't have a problem with it. The Paddock section has a pool with food and drink options, so it isn't as far of a walk. The buses also didn't give us any issues- Paddock is pretty much the middle stop. You can also take a bus to then main building if you didn't want to walk. You could try requesting close to the pool at Paddock if you want to be close to food and transportation.

Another perk with staying in a 2 bedroom is the full kitchen/full fridge and the in-room washer and dryer...

Just wanting to add that Congress Park (preferred) is the only section confirmed to have been refurbished so far. I believe they are now working on the other preferred section, the Springs. @CastAStone is correct with recommending the Paddock. My family and I have stayed here for several trips, most recently last summer. The rooms are a bit worn, but we really didn't have a problem with it. The Paddock section has a pool with food and drink options, so it isn't as far of a walk. The buses also didn't give us any issues- Paddock is pretty much the middle stop. You can also take a bus to then main building if you didn't want to walk. You could try requesting close to the pool at Paddock if you want to be close to food and transportation.

Another perk with staying in a 2 bedroom is the full kitchen/full fridge and the in-room washer and dryer...
Wow, it seems like the only way to be close enough to things to easily walk at this resort is to be preferred? My only experience with preferred rooms prior to this are just values and moderates, and for those resorts while I know some people say they are too big to walk comfortably we have always found you don't have to book preferred, and can easily walk from anywhere (even though preferred is nice, it isn't necessary). I know it's hard to look a gift horse in the mouth during these circumstances, but i think if I ever book here with points I would want to do preferred.

Looking at the map on the first page it seems like the paddock section on the end by Congress park would be close enough to walk to DS, and maybe close enough to walk to the main building without feeling like it was a hike? I imagine I'll put all of this thought into it and then end up in that far upper corner section that is far from anything and way far from DS :sad2: . I can't say I've had a stellar track record with requests - not terrible but not lucky either.

Hasn't construction been going on for like a year here? When I first read this thread I saw when it had started and breathed a sigh of relief, figuring it had to have all been long done by now! So I was surprised to find out only 1 section is done. I'm either mistaken on the start date, or they've been taking their time on this one.

Hasn't construction been going on for like a year here? When I first read this thread I saw when it had started and breathed a sigh of relief, figuring it had to have all been long done by now! So I was surprised to find out only 1 section is done. I'm either mistaken on the start date, or they've been taking their time on this one.
It’s a huge resort; it has almost 3000 rooms (literal rooms, not booking units) with beds or pull outs; by that measure, only pop century and Art of Animation are bigger. DVC renovations are slower than hotel rooms because Disney can only legally pull so many rooms out of inventory at a time. You’d never see something like what they’re doing at All Stars where they are closing 20% of the resort at once. So yeah, it’s slow. It was scheduled to take two years initially, and it’s been on pause for over three months because of the pandemic.

It’s a huge resort; it has almost 3000 rooms (literal rooms, not booking units) with beds or pull outs; by that measure, only pop century and Art of Animation are bigger. DVC renovations are slower than hotel rooms because Disney can only legally pull so many rooms out of inventory at a time. You’d never see something like what they’re doing at All Stars where they are closing 20% of the resort at once. So yeah, it’s slow. It was scheduled to take two years initially, and it’s been on pause for over three months because of the pandemic.
I didn't realize that DVC renovations were different from regular resort ones as far as the timeline went. If AOA and Pop are bigger, then it seems like walking should be OK because I would have no problem walking around those resorts from any room on a regular basis Or is it much more spread out, so less rooms but more acreage?

I didn't realize that DVC renovations were different from regular resort ones as far as the timeline went. If AOA and Pop are bigger, then it seems like walking should be OK because I would have no problem walking around those resorts from any room on a regular basis Or is it much more spread out, so less rooms but more acreage?
Somewhat more spread out, with a lake providing some additional obstacle. But the walk from one end of Disney Springs to the other is roughly the walk from one end of Saratoga springs the other, and the main building at SSR is centrally located, so you won’t have to do more than half of that.

Wow, it seems like the only way to be close enough to things to easily walk at this resort is to be preferred? My only experience with preferred rooms prior to this are just values and moderates, and for those resorts while I know some people say they are too big to walk comfortably we have always found you don't have to book preferred, and can easily walk from anywhere (even though preferred is nice, it isn't necessary). I know it's hard to look a gift horse in the mouth during these circumstances, but i think if I ever book here with points I would want to do preferred.

Looking at the map on the first page it seems like the paddock section on the end by Congress park would be close enough to walk to DS, and maybe close enough to walk to the main building without feeling like it was a hike? I imagine I'll put all of this thought into it and then end up in that far upper corner section that is far from anything and way far from DS :sad2: . I can't say I've had a stellar track record with requests - not terrible but not lucky either.

They apparently stopped construction when everything closed and have just now started it up again. And yes, they were starting the Congress Park refurb last year when we were there. It is a large resort with a lot of rooms, but it's also typically quiet and peaceful.

The Paddock section closest to Congress Park would probably work for walking to Disney Springs. It wouldn't be much of a walk to the pool area for a snack either. It would be longer to get to the main building, but not that much longer than from any other area in the Paddock.

Here at SS now. It’s a ghost town. We’re in a 2 bedroom villa in Congress Park. The villa is beautiful. I do miss the hustle and bustle of going to the parks😩 . Such a strange feeling of being so close and yet so far.
Let us know if you see construction workers activity working on renovations, and where!

We’re looking at buying here to stay here and are trying to understand the hit rate around room requests.

My wife is very interested in The Paddock and specifically the buildings on either side of the pool there, at least so long as the kids are young enough to enjoy the small slides.

I know there are no guarantees but I’m curious as to people’s hit rates for room requests in general at SSR.

Thanks in Advance!

We’re looking at buying here to stay here and are trying to understand the hit rate around room requests.

My wife is very interested in The Paddock and specifically the buildings on either side of the pool there, at least so long as the kids are young enough to enjoy the small slides.

I know there are no guarantees but I’m curious as to people’s hit rates for room requests in general at SSR.

Thanks in Advance!
We've stayed at SSR for several trips, most recently last summer (which was booked at 5 months out) and have never had an issue with a room request for Paddock. We typically ask for "near pool", and have not been more than one building away from it. One of the trips a few years back was booked with a group of family members- 18 of us- and we had no problem getting room near each other in the Paddock area. Hope that helps?

We have stayed here about 6 times and have always gotten our room request. The first time was CP, and the last several were Paddock. It is one of the more reliable resorts for requests.

We've stayed at SSR for several trips, most recently last summer (which was booked at 5 months out) and have never had an issue with a room request for Paddock. We typically ask for "near pool", and have not been more than one building away from it. One of the trips a few years back was booked with a group of family members- 18 of us- and we had no problem getting room near each other in the Paddock area. Hope that helps?
We have stayed here about 6 times and have always gotten our room request. The first time was CP, and the last several were Paddock. It is one of the more reliable resorts for requests.
Thank you both. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has a different perspective too.

I've been studying DVC resorts for several months and kind of ignoring SSR because my wife told me the theme was "boring" but then I showed her the pools this week and all of the sudden its where she wants to buy, and the pools are a huge part of that. I absolutely love the renovation they're doing and think my kids will appreciate the real bed in the living room as they get older (and the proximity to DS as they get older still). Can't beat the price either.

Thank you both. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has a different perspective too.

I've been studying DVC resorts for several months and kind of ignoring SSR because my wife told me the theme was "boring" but then I showed her the pools this week and all of the sudden its where she wants to buy, and the pools are a huge part of that. I absolutely love the renovation they're doing and think my kids will appreciate the real bed in the living room as they get older (and the proximity to DS as they get older still). Can't beat the price either.
we have a contract for SSR in ROFR right now. The lower cost and lower point per night is what originally appealed to us. We ended up buying at AKL last year because of the extra bed in a 1bedroom and the bathroom situation. Last May we visited SSR for a couple of hours and ate at their quick service and toured the grounds. The facility is gorgeous. The pools are amazing. The kids club (or whatever it's called) is very large with so many activities.

Those things along with the renovation of the 1 bed units to sleep 5 tipped us over the edge to add on there instead of more AKV points this time.

It is my kids' favorite resort. Why? They love the pools and the nature! Warning: If you stay in the Paddock area, it might take you ten minutes to walk across that long bridge to the main area. My kids have to stop every few feet to look over at the fish, turtles, and occasionally, there are even otters! They also really like Artist Palette which has a nice selection of food and desserts.

We are super excited about the renovations as well! SSR has a lot of extras especially being close to Disney Springs. We are happy to own there and you will be too!!

Thanks in Advance!
Hi, we own here and whenever we book standard we always request paddock near the pool and we have gotten it every time so far. I'm not saying we always will but so far we've been lucky enough to get it when we requested it. We have been very happy owners here. Hope this helps.😊

We have a contract sent to ROFR right now. We were debating between SSR and AKV. The pools was a big deciding factor for our family too. Dh isn’t a Disney fan so on the trips he comes we spend a lot of time as the resort. The kids will love the pool and I will love being able to get all the dining and shopping at Disney springs. I also really like the new rooms. I can’t wait for our first stay once we get our points.

Hey guys! We are owners at SSR, just bought points last year! We are looking forward to our first stay (as owners) this Fall! Stayed once a few years back! The renovations are beautiful!! I can’t wait to see them in person!!

We booked a 1Br. Preferred. Which location would you recommend? We are looking for a fun pool (one with with slide and music/activities for the kids - if possible).

Does the preferred location just mean you are closer to the lobby and/or parking? Any good views of DS in this area?

Thank you in advance 🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter