Star Wars and Avatar multiple sequel schedules.

What stands out to me is the Gambit movie being killed once again. I've wanted this but don't expect to live long enough now.

I am more or less talking about the universe aspect. Also no in more recent years they have not always been about the original storyline. Look at the Mandalorian coming out later this year. You have the Star Wars TV show series as well. Yes they all build off that original story but they add new characters and go to new places not seen in the 9 Skywalker saga films. Star Wars is and should not be limited to the Skywalkers. Its a universe.

Yep, and with Disney owning Marvel, they've been pretty good with expanding the universe in canon with the various Marvel Comic series. I'm amazed that Disney hasn't announced or done anything yet with the Doctor Aphra comic character with Disney+. I've been reading comics for decades and get the same vibe from Aphra as I did when Bucky/Winter Solder and Miles Morales (Spider-Man) were introduced to the comics pages ... and they transitioned quite well to the screen!

Aphra's current stories take place between Eps 4 and 5, and she comes across as a few years older than Luke Skywalker ... possibly could we see her pop up in the Cassian Andor series or an older version in The Mandalorian?

https://www.starwars.com/news/doctor-aphra-readers-guide
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Chelli_Lona_Aphra

Fans are doing Aphra cosplay, she's already got an action-figure and there's rumors of Aphra references at Dok-Ondar's shop in Galaxy's Edge ... but when the heck will Disney get her into live-action media?

This is the end of the Skywalker saga. That was always known. Anything going forward would be new stories. I don't think of it as overkill. This is like Marvel. Its a universe, lots of stories to tell. People aren't obviously burned out by Marvel.
One difference is Marvel has always been a Universe. Right now Star Wars isn't, it has always been focused on the Skywalkers and the empire vs the rebellion.

Many of the Marvel characters could be named or recognized by people who had never read a comic before any move was released, I don't think the same is true for Star Wars.

Not saying it can't work, but I am disagreeing that it is already a massive universe and people will be interested when they pivot away from the main arc.

One difference is Marvel has always been a Universe. Right now Star Wars isn't, it has always been focused on the Skywalkers and the empire vs the rebellion.

Many of the Marvel characters could be named or recognized by people who had never read a comic before any move was released, I don't think the same is true for Star Wars.

Not saying it can't work, but I am disagreeing that it is already a massive universe and people will be interested when they pivot away from the main arc.
That is true. I just think because it is a universe they can expand the stories quite a bit.

Star Wars really does not need to be focused on the Skywalkers....however, if there is anything about Star Wars, it is the presence of Wars. Regardless 9f how good or not any future SW story is, tv or movie, if there aren't wars going on between good and bad, dark and light, then the universe shouldn't be called Star Wars anymore. Star Politics? Lucasverse?

I'm just a little upset that Avatar 2 is delayed yet again! I don't know if that's on Cameron or Disney. I love Avatar and want more! I'm all in for whatever Star Wars comes our way of course.

I'm just a little upset that Avatar 2 is delayed yet again! I don't know if that's on Cameron or Disney. I love Avatar and want more! I'm all in for whatever Star Wars comes our way of course.
This move was Disney. They wanted SW and Avatar to alternate.

This move was Disney. They wanted SW and Avatar to alternate.

It's not like Cameron wouldn't want extra time though. He is...not fast when it comes to film making. I am surprised though that they would want to delay this at all if they want to turn it back into a big franchise. Avatar isn't top of mind for most people anymore. Maybe they could get a high-quality animated series, even if just a limited one that bridges the gap between 1 & 2. With Pandora at AK as popular as it is, now is the time!

I have a feeling that Disney must have something worthwhile with this new trilogy. They have already scrapped other projects as it has become obvious that the boxoffice trajectory has not been ideal.

They know they have some serious brand repair to do so I imagine whatever this is will turn out to be pretty darn good.

Star Wars really does not need to be focused on the Skywalkers....however, if there is anything about Star Wars, it is the presence of Wars. Regardless 9f how good or not any future SW story is, tv or movie, if there aren't wars going on between good and bad, dark and light, then the universe shouldn't be called Star Wars anymore. Star Politics? Lucasverse?
Well the other issue in using any character that was around during any of the 11 movies is the main story has already been told. Any new movie with those characters will only be a side story.

I'm not saying it can't work, I'm just saying it is different than Marvel.

I personally wish they'd fill in the gap between 6 and 7, with or without the Skywalkers. I'd also be fine with an old republic series. But if they did a series based on the X-wing books, I don't see many people getting into it because the end of the story is already known.

Well the other issue in using any character that was around during any of the 11 movies is the main story has already been told. Any new movie with those characters will only be a side story.

I'm not saying it can't work, I'm just saying it is different than Marvel.

I personally wish they'd fill in the gap between 6 and 7, with or without the Skywalkers. I'd also be fine with an old republic series. But if they did a series based on the X-wing books, I don't see many people getting into it because the end of the story is already known.
I see your point, but, just because that story is finished doesn't mean it is the only compelling story. About filling gaps, I don't think it is necessary, although it would be nice. The Solo film falls into this category. It was nice, but not necessary. The Rogue One film was similar, but what was so intriguing about that one was that although we obviously already knew the end of that story, it was from a very different perspective - that of just a war, no Jedi or Force (yes, there are references and those awesome Vader scenes, but they were basic asides). Stories can be set within that timeframe from the perspectives of bounty hunters or villagers who have no care about the outcome of said Star Wars, but just how it affects them either financially (bounty hunters) or personally (villagers). Where did the First Order come from? How is Rey so powerful? Who is/was Snoke? These are questions people have now, but they can also be asked of many characters across timelines and light-years that we have never encountered. Personally, that's one of the reasons why I loved Last Jedi so much. Took a huge wide angle lens.

I continue to be disappointed that nothing ever happened with sequels of Rockeeter. I it like better than ANY of the Marvel stuff. It's one of my all-time favorite movies.

If I’m mistaken it’s going to have a presence on Disney+.

I only know of a series for Disney Jr. that last I knew was still coming out. It is about a girl who receives a package containing the rocket pack, so it is similar to talks of the sequel movie.

More Star Wars films??? We love Star Wars, but honestly, the side story films haven't really done much for us.

I am a huge Star Wars fan and I actually like Rouge One and Solo better then Force Awakens and Last Jedi.

Yeah I'm amazed at the Avatar plans. Honestly, I really don't feel that warranted a follow up, and I think it's going to be pretty hard to build interest in a saga, 12 years later. Seems more like they're just trying to build interest in it, to justify Pandora?

I really wouldn't be surprised if some of the Avatar sequels never see the light of day.

Star Wars I can understand (although there is a danger of saturation there) but is there really the demand for all those Avatar sequels?? I've not heard anyone mention the original film outside of the context of the WDW land for years

Star Wars I can understand (although there is a danger of saturation there) but is there really the demand for all those Avatar sequels?? I've not heard anyone mention the original film outside of the context of the WDW land for years
It may be a more global thing. That's where the film made a lot more of it's money proportionally.

I think there’s a ton of opportunity for stories in the Star Wars universe. The universe itself with its planets and aliens and laser guns and space ships is cool. I can’t imagine that it would be difficult to come up with several stories using that setting. Just ignore all current characters and Star Wars politics and write something new.

I guess I don't understand the worry about "Star Wars Saturation" when Marvel has been producing 2-3 movies a YEAR that while separate combined into an epic 2-part conclusion.

The problem with Star Wars is they have no goal .. it was just "let's dip into the pool of Star Wars and make a movie". That works great for books and comic books and games because you have the invested fans interested in those, it doesn't work well for the casual Star Wars fan that just really knows (or cares) about the movies

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter