Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading this update from the Disney Parks Blog on the new hotel which will be seamlessly connected to SWGE
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-resort-planned-for-walt-disney-world-resort/

And started wondering... How will this immersive hotel where guests are encouraged to dress in Star Wars clothing work with the WDW policy of no costumes in the parks for guests 14 and up?
Not sure that they will be coming and going to parks as they please. I *think* the stay will be mostly in the resort with possibly small excursions into the park, if any. At least, that's the way I've read it.

Not sure that they will be coming and going to parks as they please. I *think* the stay will be mostly in the resort with possibly small excursions into the park, if any. At least, that's the way I've read it.

I also suspect when the Hotel guests go into Galaxy's Edge it will be during hours when the park is not open to regular guests

Related, I think it will be interesting if the policy about costumes is updated at all ... I mean, lot's of Star Wars fans really love to dress up and I can see a lot of them expecting to be able to dress up when they "go to Star Wars Land"

I also suspect when the Hotel guests go into Galaxy's Edge it will be during hours when the park is not open to regular guests

Related, I think it will be interesting if the policy about costumes is updated at all ... I mean, lot's of Star Wars fans really love to dress up and I can see a lot of them expecting to be able to dress up when they "go to Star Wars Land"
Knowing how awesome some of the fans’ costumes can be I would suspect Disney leaves their policy as is. I could see lots of confusion about who is a CM or who is a guest.

Although it would be cool to allow guests to dress up.

My guess is that you will be rented costumes for your stay - so it's not like you will be confusing people for Han Solo or Luke Skywalker or Rey... you will be in a uniform or outfit that suits your hotel stay mission.

Wonder if you get to pick light side or dark?

Knowing how awesome some of the fans’ costumes can be I would suspect Disney leaves their policy as is. I could see lots of confusion about who is a CM or who is a guest.

Although it would be cool to allow guests to dress up.

Yeah, that is why I am wondering if they revise or at least clarify guidelines and indicate what is ok vs not

My guess is that you will be rented costumes for your stay - so it's not like you will be confusing people for Han Solo or Luke Skywalker or Rey... you will be in a uniform or outfit that suits your hotel stay mission.

That's how I'm kinda figuring it'll work as well. They may encourage cosplay for separate events or stuff in the park, but I figure main 'hero' characters may be off limits due to confusion ... Imagine 20 Hans, 15 Leias, throw in some anachronistic Padmes to confuse things even more (and sadly still no JarJars)

I just want to know how 6 people can fly the falcon at the same time? I thought the max crew was 4 (1 pilot, 1 co-pilot and 2 gunners). I suspect there will be 2 "flyers" while the others will be responsible for deflector shields, engine management, weapons, etc.

Maybe your experience changes with each one of the 6 seats?

2 gunners, 1 pilot, 1 co-pilot, and two people to stand behind the pilot and co-pilot saying "what does that light mean?" and "that's no moon."

yeah, I suppose they could give a bit of movement to one of their legs or something, maybe one lifts up as your vehicle goes underneath it, and you just get missed being crushed by it ... so some movement, but not walking around or anything

They will use a strobe light to give the "appearance" of movement.

While I do think this is a really cool idea, I think this might be challenging for Disney to pull off. First, a lot of people, like myself, are allergic to certain types of detergent, especially dry cleaning chemicals which they might use. Or what if you're allergic to cigarette smoke or peanuts and the previous renter used/ate them. There are also some microbes and parasites that are notoriously difficult to get out of fabric, like ringworm.

Costumes aren't easy to throw in a sanitizing wash cycle with bleach like you can with towels and sheets.

I'm guessing (could be totally wrong) that they'll have costumes available for purchase, possibly with a discount for staying there.

Star Wars has lost much of its mojo. This could be a Disney disaster. Star Wars is becoming only for the older generation.

If anything, it's the older fans who are starting to be disengaged with the franchise. I think the kids still love it.

so Disco AT-ATs?
EGYLv.gif

2 gunners, 1 pilot, 1 co-pilot, and two people to stand behind the pilot and co-pilot saying "what does that light mean?" and "that's no moon.

Funny. What I did notice in the concept art is that the back 2 seats are different than the other 4. Hmmmm......

Funny. What I did notice in the concept art is that the back 2 seats are different than the other 4. Hmmmm......

good point - maybe it is just that the others have to be able to swivel to allow the guest to sit in them or something, but the back two definitely do look different .... also, that guy in the back right one doesn't seem to feel the need to pay much attention to what buttons he is actually pushing - at least he is smiling

also interesting they are showing shorter people in the back with the tallest in the middle seats - would think that would impact how well the people in the back can see out the front. I know this is just concept art so probably means nothing but, I mean, over-analyzing is kinda what we do
Millenium-Falcon-Ride.jpg

good point - maybe it is just that the others have to be able to swivel to allow the guest to sit in them or something, but the back two definitely do look different .... also, that guy in the back right one doesn't seem to feel the need to pay much attention to what buttons he is actually pushing - at least he is smiling

also interesting they are showing shorter people in the back with the tallest in the middle seats - would think that would impact how well the people in the back can see out the front. I know this is just concept art so probably means nothing but, I mean, over-analyzing is kinda what we do

Yeah, I definitely tend to over-analyze, but that's what gives me more excitement for these attractions.

I could envision that the back two seats rotate 180° and can operate switches/functions on the back of the cockpit. In this way, the rear passengers get, arguably, a more immersive experience.

My first guess was that the back row is for kids who are too young to usefully participate but still want to be on the ride with the rest of their family. Or anyone else who wants to do very little.

Yeah, I definitely tend to over-analyze, but that's what gives me more excitement for these attractions.

I could envision that the back two seats rotate 180° and can operate switches/functions on the back of the cockpit. In this way, the rear passengers get, arguably, a more immersive experience.

My first guess was that the back row is for kids who are too young to usefully participate but still want to be on the ride with the rest of their family. Or anyone else who wants to do very little.

So we have narrowed it down to the back seats either providing more abilities/immersion or less ;)

Also wonder if perhaps the last two seats also have less movement - so are better for those who maybe get motion sickness and/or are more accessible to people that have accessibility challenges? If so then each cockpit would be like 4 regular seats and 2 special seats but they might not force it to have all 6 full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter