Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Star Wars has lost much of its mojo. This could be a Disney disaster. Star Wars is becoming only for the older generation.

Star Wars is one of the all time biggest film franchises in movie history, so expectations have been set extremely high for it. Last Jedi was the highest grossing movie of 2017 and is the 11th highest grossing movie of all time. Solo has only been out for one weekend and is the 6th highest grossing movie so far this year. If we were talking about pretty much anything other then Star Wars these would be considered great numbers. It might not being doing as good as Disney hopes, but it still has massive popular appeal and the Star Wars lands will surely do very well.

The other side of the costume question is that kids under 14 are still allowed to wear any costumes they want, so, if and when I stay at the hotel... I fully intend to dress up my little girl as General Organa and have her go around giving orders to people.

In the movies the back 2 seats do swivel while the front 2 do not.

Star Wars is one of the all time biggest film franchises in movie history, so expectations have been set extremely high for it. Last Jedi was the highest grossing movie of 2017 and is the 11th highest grossing movie of all time. Solo has only been out for one weekend and is the 6th highest grossing movie so far this year. If we were talking about pretty much anything other then Star Wars these would be considered great numbers. It might not being doing as good as Disney hopes, but it still has massive popular appeal and the Star Wars lands will surely do very well.

The only reason that Solo's numbers aren't considered great is because of the super-huge budget it had. While other Star Wars movies seemed to justify it, we are seeing that even SW can't garner every movie-going dollar out there.

Star Wars has lost much of its mojo. This could be a Disney disaster. Star Wars is becoming only for the older generation.

I highly disagree. But hey, maybe you're right and NO ONE will want to visit a theme park attraction linked to a dying, mojo-less movie franchise. Works for me!

If anything, it's the older fans who are starting to be disengaged with the franchise. I think the kids still love it.

My eight year old son would strongly, strongly disagree with you.

My first grader and most of his classmates disagree.
Just adding that my 11 and 13 year olds (and my husband, sister, myself, etc.) would disagree as well. Totally dispositive! :D

The only reason that Solo's numbers aren't considered great is because of the super-huge budget it had. While other Star Wars movies seemed to justify it, we are seeing that even SW can't garner every movie-going dollar out there.

Don't forget the Marketing budget, which was around $100 M I believe, that helped in ballooning the upfront cost. Which, honestly how much marketing did you see for this movie? nothing really until maybe 6 weeks or so before opening?

This happened to another Disney film that people called a "flop", John Carter. I for one kind of liked the film, but since it din't meet it's projected earnings, everyone piled on and called it a dud.

Solo had to be shot twice basically, then it got this outrageous marketing budget, which did a poor job. The film gets saddled with a huge cost and since it can't meet the financial demands imposed on it...."box office bomb"

Not to mention there was a huge contingency of die-hard fans bad mouthing the film before release and creating a lot of unjustified negative expectations before release.

One last thing to note. this is the fourth year in a row Disney has released a film on this weekend that has done less than hoped for: Tomorrowland,Alice through the looking glass, Pirates Dead men tell no tales. Good luck Aladdin!

Don't forget the Marketing budget, which was around $100 M I believe, that helped in ballooning the upfront cost. Which, honestly how much marketing did you see for this movie? nothing really until maybe 6 weeks or so before opening?

This happened to another Disney film that people called a "flop", John Carter. I for one kind of liked the film, but since it din't meet it's projected earnings, everyone piled on and called it a dud.

Solo had to be shot twice basically, then it got this outrageous marketing budget, which did a poor job. The film gets saddled with a huge cost and since it can't meet the financial demands imposed on it...."box office bomb"

Not to mention there was a huge contingency of die-hard fans bad mouthing the film before release and creating a lot of unjustified negative expectations before release.

One last thing to note. this is the fourth year in a row Disney has released a film on this weekend that has done less than hoped for: Tomorrowland,Alice through the looking glass, Pirates Dead men tell no tales. Good luck Aladdin!

I'm not sure what the marketing budget was, but total cost estimates put Solo between $250M and $300M, so it's a ton either way.

I also kinda liked John Carter.

Last edited:

I have to be honest: though we went to see it in the theatre, I had no expectations whatsoever for Solo given the filming intrigue I had heard. Wasn’t sure at all about that actor as Solo either.

Our entire family (group of 6 ranging from 11yo to 45yo) really enjoyed it. Good pacing, acting seemed solid to us, nice visually, enough nuggets for the “old” fans and enough new. I could have done without the droid revolt political nonsense, but really good overall.

I think it’s getting unfair treatment. I also thought John Carter wasn’t bad, but this film was better IMO. I’ll be curious to see what the ultimate bottom line net is.

I think there is a Solo movie related thread? I was told that my SWGE comments on there would be best posted on this thread.

For anyone who was arguing that star wars was losing popularity and disney would flop with SWGE...

Avatarland was based on a movie that many people didn't like, many argued had no place in animal kingdom, and has still not produced even 1 sequel and it was received very well.

I think disney will be fine with SWGE(understatement of the century)

My first guess was that the back row is for kids who are too young to usefully participate but still want to be on the ride with the rest of their family. Or anyone else who wants to do very little.

Or me! :rotfl: I fear I will be the one everyone is yelling at for ruining the mission. No fear, Micky (guy in green shirt in my avatar) will be yelling at me the loudest. :laughing:

Any rumors on when this will open? My husband wants to wait to go back to disney until this opens so I'm thinking end of October next year which is already too long for me so I'm looking for any rumors that anyone has heard. I'd hate to wait 1 1/2 years to go for them to not be finished when we go. Let me know if you've heard anything about an official date!

Any rumors on when this will open? My husband wants to wait to go back to disney until this opens so I'm thinking end of October next year which is already too long for me so I'm looking for any rumors that anyone has heard. I'd hate to wait 1 1/2 years to go for them to not be finished when we go. Let me know if you've heard anything about an official date!

Just "late fall" so far. And if you plan on booking for October, better do it now and cancel if your plans change. Rooms are filling up fast.

Disney has announced Late Fall. I would expect late November (Thanksgiving time) or early December.

If Disneyland is an option, their version of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is slated for Summer 2019. You could go there and see Galaxy's Edge in October 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter