Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're onsite till 9/2 so I'm thinking the best opportunity to try to get in SWGE would be 9/1 6AM, right? Wondering if we should bother going at 6AM on our regular scheduled HS day of 8/30 or if it's better to wait till the hardcore guests get in. We'd like to see GE, but it won't spoil the day if we don't.

"The overnight lineups will be handled similarly to the queues to formed for DL's 50th and 60th anniv. celebrations."

So how did DL handle the queues then?

Allowing camping kind of screws me. If they allow camping out for more than 12-18 hours I think I'm out. I can't go on a "family vacation" and dedicate more than a day to waiting in line. I must be getting out becasue days sitting out in the Florida heat and sleeping on the sidewalk might be too much too. I guess I'm not as dedicated of a Star Wars nerd as I thought.

Assuming there is overnight camping allowed for the 8/29 opening, any guesses regarding how early you’ll need to be in line to be part of the initial wave into the land (not being queued on grand avenue, etc)?

Assuming there is overnight camping allowed for the 8/29 opening, any guesses regarding how early you’ll need to be in line to be part of the initial wave into the land (not being queued on grand avenue, etc)?
By my estimation around 8pm the night before if you want to be inside SWGE in the first wave. I'm basically waiting to see DL opening, how many people will they allow into the land before it hits capacity, any jump in on site and off site reservation and general chatter from all my SW friends that are local.
My estimate is based purely at the moment from SW friends that are local and we use to "camp out" for SWW

"The overnight lineups will be handled similarly to the queues to formed for DL's 50th and 60th anniv. celebrations."

So how did DL handle the queues then?

Allowing camping kind of screws me. If they allow camping out for more than 12-18 hours I think I'm out. I can't go on a "family vacation" and dedicate more than a day to waiting in line. I must be getting out becasue days sitting out in the Florida heat and sleeping on the sidewalk might be too much too. I guess I'm not as dedicated of a Star Wars nerd as I thought.
They basically allowed people to bring small tents, foldable chairs and form a line outside the entrance. There were taped queues so everyone knew who was in front and behind them

By my estimation around 8pm the night before if you want to be inside SWGE in the first wave. I'm basically waiting to see DL opening, how many people will they allow into the land before it hits capacity, any jump in on site and off site reservation and general chatter from all my SW friends that are local.
My estimate is based purely at the moment from SW friends that are local and we use to "camp out" for SWW
So interesting...will mean a very early and massive queue on grand avenue and given that the first wave will be the uber-fans particularly inclined to spend the whole day in the land, I don’t see how the queue moves.

So interesting...will mean a very early and massive queue on grand avenue and given that the first wave will be the uber-fans particularly inclined to spend the whole day in the land, I don’t see how the queue moves.
We'll eventually leave :)
In all seriousness, no need to worry about this now, but it's smart to be aware

given that they have figured out how to impose time limits at DL, I would expect something similar at WDW. The ability to sweep the park and move people out is already established (with the evening parties in MK) and SWGE is 1/10 the size of MK so it's absolutely within the wheelhouse of logistics to execute.

given that they have figured out how to impose time limits at DL, I would expect something similar at WDW. The ability to sweep the park and move people out is already established (with the evening parties in MK) and SWGE is 1/10 the size of MK so it's absolutely within the wheelhouse of logistics to execute.
I initially thought they would use something similar at WDW and while I’m still hopeful, my completely speculative read of the tea leaves at this point is no significant addition to crowd control outside of the already announced 6am openings/EMHs

They basically allowed people to bring small tents, foldable chairs and form a line outside the entrance. There were taped queues so everyone knew who was in front and behind them
Hopefully the queues will go past some of the boardwalk area hotels so we can check our chairs and tents with bell services :D

Hopefully the queues will go past some of the boardwalk area hotels so we can check our chairs and tents with bell services :D
Virgin Holidays have announced The Ultimate Star Wars Experience, Star Wars themes flight, immersive dining, SWs themed desert party and 'Be among the first in the queue for one of the exciting rides in this new land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Also take part in a private 1-hour event where you are free to explore the land (without rides), encountering roaming Star Wars™ Characters along the way.'

Virgin Holidays have announced The Ultimate Star Wars Experience, Star Wars themes flight, immersive dining, SWs themed desert party and 'Be among the first in the queue for one of the exciting rides in this new land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Also take part in a private 1-hour event where you are free to explore the land (without rides), encountering roaming Star Wars™ Characters along the way.'

Thanks for posting! Here’s more info if anyone else is curious. There’s a 1 min video using Disney footage we’ve seen before. Trips not starting until February 15, 2020. Wonder how many more of these tours there will be. Very interested in the hour without rides - I wonder how “exclusive” it will be.

https://www.virginholidays.co.uk/the-ultimate-star-wars-experience

Last edited:
This is for Disneyland, but perhaps a preview of what will be allowed at WDW too

NEWS

Disney will allow camping out for opening day (May 31st) and first post-reservation day (June 24th) at Disneyland

View attachment 399465

This may be naive but.... June 24th makes perfect sense but May 31st? Disney have explicitly stated that you have to have a reservation to get in. They have explicitly stated that reservations are limited, and indeed, they have sold out. Reservations are for a guaranteed block of time.
What do people need to camp out for?

This may be naive but.... June 24th makes perfect sense but May 31st? Disney have explicitly stated that you have to have a reservation to get in. They have explicitly stated that reservations are limited, and indeed, they have sold out. Reservations are for a guaranteed block of time.
This point has been discussed in several threads already. People with reservations will get there early to be at the front of the pack of their time schedule

definite not naive - others have posted the same question.

My guess is there is still people who will want to be first for their reservation slot so they are first into the land and get the view without a mass of people in front of them and also Star Wars fans (and other similar fans) seem to enjoy the community and waiting in line for cons and stuff like that. So I think there would have been some people getting there really early anyway and Disney just wanted to get a head of it and let them know the procedure, etc. Especially at Disneyland where if they didn't have a space on property the people would just be out on the city street in the middle of the night (potentially)

So any thoughts of how early to get to HS the 2nd day, Aug. 30th? We fly out on Sat. the 31st and we don't need to be there for opening day.
Friday the 31st will be our only day we can go unless there are some soft opening early in the week.
Do you guys think getting to the gate at 5am for the 6am opening will be too late?

So any thoughts of how early to get to HS the 2nd day, Aug. 30th? We fly out on Sat. the 31st and we don't need to be there for opening day.
Friday the 31st will be our only day we can go unless there are some soft opening early in the week.
Do you guys think getting to the gate at 5am for the 6am opening will be too late?
For rope drop and minimal waits for things in SWGE? The earlier the better obviously. I would say 4:30AM at the latest to get in the front pack but we don't know for sure quite yet. 5AM will still get you in no doubt but you may see a wait for things at that point.

Will be there the first 3 days of opening and trying to figure out the best way to bring the kids to SWGE. Is it kosher to hold a place in the rope drop line and have wife/2 kids join around 5a? I am pretty sensitive about these types of issues and don’t want to do something the majority feel is unfair.

Will be there the first 3 days of opening and trying to figure out the best way to bring the kids to SWGE. Is it kosher to hold a place in the rope drop line and have wife/2 kids join around 5a? I am pretty sensitive about these types of issues and don’t want to do something the majority feel is unfair.
This was common practice during SWW. But we don't know how they will approach rope drop here for this. The park is scheduled to open at 6am but i bet they will be opening the tapstiles way earlier just to get people walking over to the entrance to the land like they did with Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!