Star Wars: Obi Wan movie in production

Lightsoutx12

Mouseketeer
Last edited:
If anything I'm relieved at this announcement. Relieved because they aren't doing a Yoda backstory or ruining any other characters by giving them a back story movie.

I assume this will be about Obi Wan's time during the Empire's consolidation of power. I know the new comics touch on this subject, but I find it hard to believe that Obi Wan just decided to sit everything out and stay on Tattoine and baby sit Luke (but not train him or reveal his presence to him).

Plus I like Ewan McGregor, I think he'll do a good job.

This article mentions the Boba Fett movie, I thought that idea had been nixed. Though it could have been good if they made it like a western (those were the rumors) and he was like Eastwood's character in the Fistful of Dollars trilogy. Dark and mysterious, gotta let the secondary characters do all the talking.

feels like his story is largely know / covered via the prequels and Clone Wars

If anything I'd prefer a move about Qui-Gon that could have Obi-Wan in it, but more focused on the former

Unfortunately it's all about name recognition and already well established quotes to put on t-shirts.

I've admitted before I don't know much about the Star Wars lore (it's just not my thing). I too thought his backstory was already explained via the prequels. It's kind of pathetic at this point.

If they really wanted to expand they should have never started these one-off character based movies. Who really cares about backstory? Do we really need to know where Han got his blaster? Or his name? Or his vest and boots? Are the Star Wars fans asking for this? Is the general public even asking for this?

Instead of trying to force a story that isn't there just to push a known character, why not, dare I say it, come up with a compelling story on it's own creating a new character that could potentially turn into a big character.

I'll answer it myself, because the potential of something failing is too big of a risk.

Each Star Wars movie is going to make money, it's almost a fact. Why not leverage that and do something unique? You want to do by the numbers big blockbuster movies with all the episodes go ahead. But at least challenge yourself with the "a Star Wars story" movies. Use those movies to experiment and try to create new and interesting characters.

I'm sure people weren't screaming for a Han Solo film, and to me he seems like a character where his mysterious backstory only strengthens his character, but at least that is a backstory that hasn't been told before.

I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter this morning or maybe I've been watching too much Red Letter Media (just kidding, one can never watch too much Red Letter Media). It's just an announcement of a movie where the backstory has already been told is the most blatant lack of originality I've ever seen.

Unfortunately it's all about name recognition and already well established quotes to put on t-shirts.

I've admitted before I don't know much about the Star Wars lore (it's just not my thing). I too thought his backstory was already explained via the prequels. It's kind of pathetic at this point.

If they really wanted to expand they should have never started these one-off character based movies. Who really cares about backstory? Do we really need to know where Han got his blaster? Or his name? Or his vest and boots? Are the Star Wars fans asking for this? Is the general public even asking for this?

Instead of trying to force a story that isn't there just to push a known character, why not, dare I say it, come up with a compelling story on it's own creating a new character that could potentially turn into a big character.

I'll answer it myself, because the potential of something failing is too big of a risk.

Each Star Wars movie is going to make money, it's almost a fact. Why not leverage that and do something unique? You want to do by the numbers big blockbuster movies with all the episodes go ahead. But at least challenge yourself with the "a Star Wars story" movies. Use those movies to experiment and try to create new and interesting characters.

I'm sure people weren't screaming for a Han Solo film, and to me he seems like a character where his mysterious backstory only strengthens his character, but at least that is a backstory that hasn't been told before.

I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter this morning or maybe I've been watching too much Red Letter Media (just kidding, one can never watch too much Red Letter Media). It's just an announcement of a movie where the backstory has already been told is the most blatant lack of originality I've ever seen.

The only counter I have to this is: Rogue One. That was a new story with all new characters - and that is regarded as one of the better movies and did pretty well at the box office

The only counter I have to this is: Rogue One. That was a new story with all new characters - and that is regarded as one of the better movies and did pretty well at the box office

Right, that's why I was talking about the one-off character based movies. Does anyone really care about a Boba Fett origin story? (Which wasn't that also shown in the prequels?) You already have an established timeline. Episode I - VII. Instead of expanding that timeline from the end (like showing stuff that happened before Episode I) just expand it form the middle.

They don't even have to be original...all the Star Wars books they can take from...the amount of Star Wars media that existed prior to the acquisition. They literally have an entire galaxy to work with...it's just disappointing to me (and I'm not even a Star Wars fan).

I'm telling you... we need to go all the way back to Obi-Wan's early padawan days in the temple. Creepy building full of magic users teaching mystical arts to parentless young children. There is no end to mischief with strange creatures, disguised evil people, old people hiding behind cryptic wisdom, prophesies! and children experiencing all the joys and tribulations of adolescence that occur with no parental supervision to provide common sense and boundaries.

Hey... if USO can steal Beastly Kingdom, Disney can steal Hogwarts, right?

Right, that's why I was talking about the one-off character based movies. Does anyone really care about a Boba Fett origin story? (Which wasn't that also shown in the prequels?) You already have an established timeline. Episode I - VII. Instead of expanding that timeline from the end (like showing stuff that happened before Episode I) just expand it form the middle.

They don't even have to be original...all the Star Wars books they can take from...the amount of Star Wars media that existed prior to the acquisition. They literally have an entire galaxy to work with...it's just disappointing to me (and I'm not even a Star Wars fan).

Yeah, I guess my point was they have done that at least once - but I fully agree that I wish they would tell more untold stories rather than just rehashing/slightly building out stories already known

Han I am ok with but really don't need Obi Wan or Bobba Fett

Yeah, I guess my point was they have done that at least once - but I fully agree that I wish they would tell more untold stories rather than just rehashing/slightly building out stories already known

Han I am ok with but really don't need Obi Wan or Bobba Fett

Right, it just seems like Rogue One is turning into an exception instead of a rule. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the release timeline was/is

Episode VII - 2015
Rogue One - 2016
Episode VIII - 2017
Han Solo - 2018
Episode IX - 2019
Boba Fett - 2020

Following that we'll get Episode X in 2021 which means if there's going to be another Rogue One-esque movie it's not going to be released until 2021...yikes.

I want to take an unpopular opinion, mix it with a popular opinion, and make a new popular suggestion.

Unpopular opinion: We need more reboots.
Popular opinion: The Prequels were largely bad.
Suggestion: Reboot the prequels!

Those characters deserve better.

I never thought it would be possible to over saturate the world with Star Wars. But in my opinion, it has.

This makes me laugh. So far, Disney has put out 2 Star Wars movies and about 10 hours of Rebels. There were 6 movies already, plus about 40 hours of Clone Wars, plus some ridiculous 80s specials, plus a 90s era droids nightmare. That doesn't go in to the hundreds of books and games. In other words, Disney hasn't begun to over saturate. Disney has taken a measured pace to Star Wars that is just beginning to ramp. Look at Marvel and realize just how much more is coming, and how much demand has gone unfulfilled over 40 years.

I have been thinking what are they going to do in terms of story. For the most part we know (believe) Obi-Wan lived out his life protecting Luke on Tatooine so I can't imagine him ever leaving there, unless the story takes place there?

This makes me laugh. So far, Disney has put out 2 Star Wars movies and about 10 hours of Rebels. There were 6 movies already, plus about 40 hours of Clone Wars, plus some ridiculous 80s specials, plus a 90s era droids nightmare. That doesn't go in to the hundreds of books and games. In other words, Disney hasn't begun to over saturate. Disney has taken a measured pace to Star Wars that is just beginning to ramp. Look at Marvel and realize just how much more is coming, and how much demand has gone unfulfilled over 40 years.

I never said Disney is the one who I thought has over saturated. Im including all of that as well, plus the rumors of things to come.

I have been thinking what are they going to do in terms of story. For the most part we know (believe) Obi-Wan lived out his life protecting Luke on Tatooine so I can't imagine him ever leaving there, unless the story takes place there?

Well, there are theories that Ben did leave Tatooine at times (in fact, one theory is that during one of those trips is when he fathered Rey)

But I thought it would be more his background and when he became a Jedi and that sort of thing - but perhaps that all is TBD

Rebels showed Obi-Wan living on Tatooine. This would have been a few years after Revenge of the Sith. So there is a timeline established that he went to Tatooine and stayed. But given his limited interaction with Luke growing up, who clearly has heard of him but doesn't know him much at all, it is possible he was in and out. In Episode IV Leia clearly indicates he had not been a significant part of the Rebellion, as far as she knows, during this time period. Which also ties out with the fact that he and Yoda were hiding. But I guess all of that could be adjusted as much of the above is reading between the lines.

The best I can see is that it will focus on a very tight period of time. A single mission somewhere in one of these gaps between 1 and 2 or 3 and 4. It could take place over just a few weeks like Rogue and then it doesn't have to be a true backstory, more of a single adventure than a character story. You could do that before he becomes a Padawan, though I really don't think they are going with Jedi kids for this one. If I had to guess, I'd say between 3 and 4. A single short mission shortly after he drops Luke off with Uncle Owen and he is still somewhat involved. Maybe an attempt to rescue another Jedi who had escaped the purge before Vader gets there. Probably one where he fails would play with the biggest emotional hit, though I'm not sure they want Rogue One style carnage with an established character. But a story like that would explain why he fairly happily faded away on Tatooine until absolutely forced back into action.

Rebels showed Obi-Wan living on Tatooine. This would have been a few years after Revenge of the Sith. So there is a timeline established that he went to Tatooine and stayed. But given his limited interaction with Luke growing up, who clearly has heard of him but doesn't know him much at all, it is possible he was in and out. In Episode IV Leia clearly indicates he had not been a significant part of the Rebellion, as far as she knows, during this time period. Which also ties out with the fact that he and Yoda were hiding. But I guess all of that could be adjusted as much of the above is reading between the lines.

The best I can see is that it will focus on a very tight period of time. A single mission somewhere in one of these gaps between 1 and 2 or 3 and 4. It could take place over just a few weeks like Rogue and then it doesn't have to be a true backstory, more of a single adventure than a character story. You could do that before he becomes a Padawan, though I really don't think they are going with Jedi kids for this one. If I had to guess, I'd say between 3 and 4. A single short mission shortly after he drops Luke off with Uncle Owen and he is still somewhat involved. Maybe an attempt to rescue another Jedi who had escaped the purge before Vader gets there. Probably one where he fails would play with the biggest emotional hit, though I'm not sure they want Rogue One style carnage with an established character. But a story like that would explain why he fairly happily faded away on Tatooine until absolutely forced back into action.

Yeah I can imagine it will be between 3-4, if only Maul would have survived then they could have had him fight in the movie rather then them fight in rebels. Maybe they will show him talking to yoda and going through the training to become one with the force.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter