Started Running December 2015, Hoping to Only Finish Half Marathon

tmungania

Earning My Ears
Sometimes we make a hard task even more difficulty. looking at my Log, I have noticed I made all those super hard Daniel's formula Workout even more hard. Instead of doing the workout only, I added some extra Miles to get 16 Mile workouts to 20 Miles. That might have put too much pressure on the system and training throw my knee discomfort didn't help much.

Lesson learnt? More is not necessarily better. I was too much into hitting my weekly miles goal that adding the ez miles to the long run seemed like a great idea.

Sometimes we make a hard task even more difficulty. looking at my Log, I have noticed I made all those super hard Daniel's formula Workout even more hard. Instead of doing the workout only, I added some extra Miles to get 16 Mile workouts to 20 Miles. That might have put too much pressure on the system and training throw my knee discomfort didn't help much.

Lesson learnt? More is not necessarily better. I was too much into hitting my weekly miles goal that adding the ez miles to the long run seemed like a great idea.

Congrats on starting a journal!

I totally get and know all to well about adding too much easy mileage into the mix. I did that in my Lakefront 2016 training cycle and learned the same lesson. Sometimes more is not necessarily better. I've actually run significantly faster races by training less the last few cycles.

Excited to see what you do next!

Congrats on starting a journal!

I totally get and know all to well about adding too much easy mileage into the mix. I did that in my Lakefront 2016 training cycle and learned the same lesson. Sometimes more is not necessarily better. I've actually run significantly faster races by training less the last few cycles.

Excited to see what you do next!
Thanks man!!
This marathon distance is so fascinating!! I am taking my recovery seriously before getting out there again. I feel like i definitely did not show my full fitness potential in Houston and will be looking forward to another race! I just need to stay as healthy as Possible

A little Background about myself.
In 2015, I saw a sign about a 5K to" Run 4 Rachel" and thought , that would be something good to do for someone. Little did I know you need to register to run. When race day came, I checked online and it said registration closed. I was like, what? After Missing that race, I decided to look at nearby races on the calendar. I found Austin half marathon and signed up with about 8 weeks to train.
I found a random training plan and did my best. I ran hard everyday thinking that's too the way to do it. On race day, I was just hoping to finish. I finished in 1 hr 56 mins and the last mine was my fastest. That finish got me thinking I can do more.
That lend me to signing up for my first.
To make this long story short, I did the first Marathon, Austin marathon in 2016 and finished with a time of 3 hrs and 44 mins, Trained Harder, Using Hanson's Marathon method, Did the second in 3 hrs 23 mins in the same year. 21 Minutes PR.
I started believing I can Run Boston Qualifying time ( 3.15.00)

Did my 3rd as a training run because it was super hot for the Austin marathon and finished in 3 hrs 48 mins. That was in Feb 2017.

I decided I needed to take it to the next level. I started a More tough Hanson's Marathon method plan getting my Miles up to 80Mpw peak! I had a July Race in Seattle and Finally at Jack and Jill downhill Marathon I ran that Boston Qualifying time. ( 3.11.48). That was good for a 11 mins PR and Boston Qualifying buffer of 3 mins 11 secs.

That buffer ended up being Not enough to actually run Boston 2018 by 12 secs! Ouch!!

I decided to do a short Houston marathon cycle to get at least a 5 mins buffer. The training cycle had so many speed bumps. My knee didn't feel healthy during training. Came race day, I ran a time of 3.17.12.
Not the time I wanted but given the way the cycle had been going, I finally had a" bad"race!

Now, I will have to reboot again and go get that BQ minus 5. I am dreaming of a sub 3 in the future. Hopefully, i get that in the next 2 years!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180121-203636.png
    Screenshot_20180121-203636.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 1

Great story Tim! You've made tremendous progress over the years. I feel very confident in saying that a sub-3 is in your near future. I've seen your workouts and you show tremendous potential.

Great story Tim! You've made tremendous progress over the years. I feel very confident in saying that a sub-3 is in your near future. I've seen your workouts and you show tremendous potential.

@DopeyBadger
Thanks man! I know I can try for a sub 3 but I think I better get that BQ minus 5 next to get that out of the way! I currently think I can run something in the range of 3.05 to 3.10 if things go my way on race day! Staying healthy will be the main focus! I have neglected core work and weight training and I think I will need to get that going to stay healthy. I have also tested my limits for how many Miles I can handle per week, and I believe 70-75 is my sweet spot. Over 80 Mpw and the body starts to break down! Thanks for always taking a look at my data and pointing me to the right direction. :)

Update;
11 weeks to go. I have tunnel light marathon race on September 16. So far, training is going well. I am using Daniel's formula 4 week cycle training plan and peaking my mileage at 75 MPW. This is a little less load than I did last cycle but seems to be better than the 80 Mpw. This summer feels hotter than last as well and very challenging to high the paces hence I have been adjusting for Temps + Dew. A few more weeks of heavy workload. The plan also has some built-in cut back weeks which I am loving as to compared to none on my last cycles plan. Now, I need to stay focused. Will check in after a few weeks

Update;
11 weeks to go. I have tunnel light marathon race on September 16. So far, training is going well. I am using Daniel's formula 4 week cycle training plan and peaking my mileage at 75 MPW. This is a little less load than I did last cycle but seems to be better than the 80 Mpw. This summer feels hotter than last as well and very challenging to high the paces hence I have been adjusting for Temps + Dew. A few more weeks of heavy workload. The plan also has some built-in cut back weeks which I am loving as to compared to none on my last cycles plan. Now, I need to stay focused. Will check in after a few weeks

Keep up the great work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!