Starting from zero, got nothing to lose... (comments welcome)

rebeccam31

DIS Veteran
I think this is a great idea.

Okay. Current me: I am a small (5'1") fairly slim person right now (though I have put on about 15 lbs. in the past couple years). I am slim but NOT fit. I want to be fit/healthy. I am a stay-at-home mom to an 11 year old (so I have some time if I'm smarter about managing it). I have 4 horses (also 3 dogs and 2 cats. I volunteer at an animal shelter--don't judge me ;) ).

So. My goals are as follows:

1) Drink more water. I am so bad at this! I just am not a person who feels thirsty. I drink a couple cups of coffee and maybe a glass of water a day. This is bad. I want to work up to the recommended eight. Preferably without having to pee every ten minutes. I don't know how you do this, but I'm going to try.

2) Get to the horses more often. They are boarded about 1/2 hour from my home. I want a goal of two mornings a week at the barn (hoping for 3 but life does intercede). This is both a mental health goal and a physical health goal. Riding is good for your core. And being around the horses just makes me a happier person.

3) Run a 5K this year. I have tried running in the past. I don't love it, but I want to like it. I started Couch to 5K in the fall and was doing well, but then I tweaked my knee. So I started it again yesterday. Last time I was running daily, and I just overdid it. So this time, 3x a week is the goal. Just as the program says. Off days I will ride the horses or walk on the treadmill.

4) Track food on myfitnesspal.com without being obsessive about it. I'd like to lose the 15 pounds I found. I also really like food. I'd like to discover a balance, if indeed it exists.

5) Do some strength exercises to tone (riding helps with this, too, but some supplementing will be required). Crunches and planks for core strength (again, to improve riding). Arm exercises with weights (because I hate my flabby arms).

That's the nutshell, I think. Thanks for providing a place for me to hold myself accountable (feel free to also hold me accountable and to critique my plan if you see glaring errors--I'm thick skinned).

Day one (1/3/2014):

1) Drank 6 glasses of water. So, not bad.

2) Single digit temperatures will make it impossible to do the horse thing for about another week. :(

3) Relaunched Couch to 5K. Did the first workout with no difficulty (other than boredom, but that can't be helped, I don't think...)

4) Eating was good. I stayed below recommended calorie amount even with one of my daughter's homemade chocolate/cream cheese cupcakes with strawberry icing! ;)

5) Did 40 crunches and a 30 second plank. Also some arm exercises. It's a start.

Day 2 (1/4/2014):

1) So far a drank a glass? I'm going to the theater today (driving 75 minutes to get there), so I doubt this will go well... ;/

2) Yeah. Still REALLY cold.

3) It's a resting day, so I walked briskly for 30 minutes on the treadmill

4) I'm having a protein bar for lunch because dinner is at a great burger and beer joint. So I'm gonna need my calories! ;)

5) Did 50 crunches, a 35 second plank, and bicep and tricep exercises. How come I'm not all buff, yet?!

Day one (1/3/2014):

1) Drank 6 glasses of water. So, not bad.

2) Single digit temperatures will make it impossible to do the horse thing for about another week. :(

3) Relaunched Couch to 5K. Did the first workout with no difficulty (other than boredom, but that can't be helped, I don't think...)

4) Eating was good. I stayed below recommended calorie amount even with one of my daughter's homemade chocolate/cream cheese cupcakes with strawberry icing! ;)

5) Did 40 crunches and a 30 second plank. Also some arm exercises. It's a start.

I'm in for your journal! I am doing Couch to 5k as well. I have the iPhone app. Is that what you use? If so, which trainer do you use?

I'm in for your journal! I am doing Couch to 5k as well. I have the iPhone app. Is that what you use? If so, which trainer do you use?

Yes, I also use the iPhone app. I have Constance as the trainer (though my daughter uses the zombie one!). And I also use the MyFitnessPal app to track my food/exercise/water. How is it going for you so far? I got through most of week 6 before I hurt my knee before, so hopefully I make it through this time. :)

Theater day worked out well. Not enough water, but that burger was worth the calories. ;) Yesterday was also good.

1) Probably only about 3 glasses of water. This is always such a struggle for me! Seems like this should be the easy one...

2) ::sigh::

3) I did workout 2, and it was pretty easy peasy. This is encouraging.

4) Eating again good. I really need to get to the store and get some more fresh vegetables, but that's not happening with the big cold front coming tomorrow. I'm not fighting against people who are stocking up on their milk, bread, and toilet paper. ;)

5) I did crunches and plank. More and longer of each. No arm exercises, but I will hit them today, since it is only my walking day on the treadmill. I hate my flabby arms. Hate! Did I mention hate?!

Log for 1/7/2014:

1) I'm working on it. Have about 3 glasses drunk. It's 2:30, so hopefully I can manage at least 6. I guess a bonus is that it makes me feel full?

2) Horses are in their stalls under blankets. There they shall stay. Shooting for Friday to go see them.

3) Week 1, session 3 of Couch to 5K completed. It wasn't at all bad, which gives me significant hope.

4) That Thai food is tasty and needs to be gone! Doing okay with calories, though. Dinner will be pizza that my husband brings home since we really need groceries but I'm not going out there in this cold. ;) I think I'll still come in under my recommended calorie level.

5) I also did 50 crunches and a 60 (!) second plank. Finished with some arm exercises with 3 lb. weights. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself today. :)

Yes, I also use the iPhone app. I have Constance as the trainer (though my daughter uses the zombie one!). And I also use the MyFitnessPal app to track my food/exercise/water. How is it going for you so far? I got through most of week 6 before I hurt my knee before, so hopefully I make it through this time. :)

Theater day worked out well. Not enough water, but that burger was worth the calories. ;) Yesterday was also good.

1) Probably only about 3 glasses of water. This is always such a struggle for me! Seems like this should be the easy one...

2) ::sigh::

3) I did workout 2, and it was pretty easy peasy. This is encouraging.

4) Eating again good. I really need to get to the store and get some more fresh vegetables, but that's not happening with the big cold front coming tomorrow. I'm not fighting against people who are stocking up on their milk, bread, and toilet paper. ;)

5) I did crunches and plank. More and longer of each. No arm exercises, but I will hit them today, since it is only my walking day on the treadmill. I hate my flabby arms. Hate! Did I mention hate?!

So far so good for me on the app. I am still on week 1. I had started it last year at the same time I restarted Tae Kwon Do and ended up pulling my hamstring. I tried Constance yesterday and didn't like her. I am trying a different trainer each work out and then deciding. So far, Johnny Dead is my favorite!

Do you mind if I ask which state you are in? Has this cold snap affected you too? Good job working toward your goals!

So far so good for me on the app. I am still on week 1. I had started it last year at the same time I restarted Tae Kwon Do and ended up pulling my hamstring. I tried Constance yesterday and didn't like her. I am trying a different trainer each work out and then deciding. So far, Johnny Dead is my favorite!

Do you mind if I ask which state you are in? Has this cold snap affected you too? Good job working toward your goals!

Not at all! I am in Pennsylvania (near Pittsburgh), and yes. Brutal cold. (Currently -4) I don't exercise outside in the cold because I am a big giant baby (I will ride in an unheated barn, though, because I am also contradictory ;) ).

I honestly don't usually even hear the trainer since I'm on a treadmill right now. I just watch the numbers.

Unrelated side note: my 11-year-old daughter does TKD. She'll black belt test in May if all goes as planned.

Good luck to your daughter. I made it to green belt and stopped due to finances and time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!