Status of the Food and Wine Festival?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the odds of it happening are slim to none and people who have WDW trips booked for that time frame should hope for the best, but plan for the festival to not be available to enjoy.

So far it seems the concerts are cancelled
the college program will not have returned
the international guests will not return this year
masks required so the food booths with all he people?

this year will most likely be a bust.

Since all large gatherings are still off the table, how could they have the shows?

nothing is normal and may never return to normal

past pandemics lasted YEARS or even decades (it is fascinating to read some of the past pandemics history)

we will have a new normal, but standing shoulder to shoulder w 10s of thousands of people is not happening any time soon. Masks may be w us for months, years or more. We just don’t know. And it’s so far out of our wheelhouse it’s hard to accept.

hang in there folks. We will get through this and someday be back to hugging Mickey Mouse
Tad dramatic?

Social distancing and staffing concerns aside, I can't see how it makes financial sense to put on Food & Wine this year. The parks will be at a reduced capacity, which means kiosk sales will be considerably less. That alone is reason enough not to hold it, in addition to the fact they will be trying to recoup money from the closure period for a long time to come.

The parks will be at a reduced capacity, which means kiosk sales will be considerably less.
I guess it really depends on how much lower kiosk sales will be. Would they be profitable at 50% of what they were last year? Perhaps. Also, if they help bring people in that otherwise might not go (and assuming there is capacity) then there is an additional benefit from admission and merchandise sales.

I guess it really depends on how much lower kiosk sales will be. Would they be profitable at 50% of what they were last year? Perhaps. Also, if they help bring people in that otherwise might not go (and assuming there is capacity) then there is an additional benefit from admission and merchandise sales.
I can only imagine the operational costs of putting the festival on - staffing and material cost for setting up the kiosks, staffing costs for running the kiosks, food and beverage supplies. These costs are offset by the amount of people that pack into Epcot each year for it, which won't be an option this year. I would guess any potential profit will be nominal, and the decision will be made to scrap it since there are so many other things on their plate this year. That said, I could see perhaps a light version of the festival with a couple kiosks or maybe some specialty limited time items at the existing Epcot countries.

No dining plan also means no snack credits to use

will guests be as willing to pay vs using a snack credit

no one knows and lots of we’ll sees

Disney is not letting any info out ahead of what they choose to trickle out. Can you imagine if in March they said we will be closed until July. No one would have believed it.

I think the biggest thing that could hurt food and wine is the lack of hopping. If they really don't have hopping in some fashion I don't see how the booths can be profitable. As much as I want the festival to go on, I can't see them having it with no hopping.

I think unintentionally when people drink alcohol they don't pay attention to their surroundings kind of like how bars were the last to open, I would be interested to see how this is enforced or practiced before I went.

I think unintentionally when people drink alcohol they don't pay attention to their surroundings kind of like how bars were the last to open, I would be interested to see how this is enforced or practiced before I went.

I second that first part for sure. I'm guessing if I'm there in September during these unmagical restrictions I'll probably be like this most of the time. Beware the old guy in the runaway railway mask.

Can you imagine if in March they said we will be closed until July. No one would have believed it.

No kidding! I was booked for May. I remember one of these threads where I was worried that it would no longer be a low-crowd time with all the people affected by the closure rebooking for my week. Many people who were cancelled rebooked to June or even early July because surely WDW would be up and running full speed by then. Guess the joke's on all of us.

It is hard to wrap my head around all the changes, and to acknowledge that many of them are permanent, or at least long-lasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter