Staying on RCI Points: A Trip Report

umbrelladrink200

Earning My Ears
Staying on RCI Points.
As mentioned in a prior post, I've been an RCI member for 10+ years. The DVCFan show did an episode on exchanging DVC points for RCI. I offered what I hoped would be helpful advice, as RCI is a strange beast. Comparing DVC and RCI is a lot like comparing apples to monkeys...they just really aren't the same thing. However, I KNOW a lot of people have questions about this and I wanted to give an unbiased opinion. This week, I'll be offering some comparisons for those that may like to read. For today, we will just post some photos and a general description of the area. We will draw some funny and serious comparisons throughout the week.
FULL DISCLOSURE: We did not trade our DVC points into RCI for this trip. These are our RCI points...but the spot we are staying at does have RCI availability for DVC exchange, starting at 100 points for a week. We are in a two bedroom villa, which is the equivalent of 230 points DVC points for a week stay.

Resort: Club Wyndham Bali Hai, Princeville, Kauai, HI. FOUR NIGHT STAY. We are not staying a full week.
DVC Cost 160 points. RCI Point Cost: 63,500 points. Cash Cost for the four night stay: $1,100.

Overall, the resort is actually in the top tier of any RCI property I've ever stayed. (This is our 13th RCI stay). It's not an all-inclusive resort. The room is a little dated, but not too bad. Full Kitchen and better appointed than the DVC rooms with regard to appliances, dishes and utensils. If this were a DVC room, it would be coming up on refurbishment fairly quickly. As is, it's decent. I've stayed at another RCI on Kauai (Pono Kai) and would sooner sleep in a cardboard box on the beach than ever set foot in there again. This is definitely an improvement. For those that don't know Kauai, it's a small island with a lot to do. You can't drive all the way around the island...the Na Pali Coast is not accessible by vehicle, so to drive from one end of the main road to the other takes 90 min to 2 hours. Princeville is on the north side, which means you're about 45 min to an hour from the airport. Famous for golf and rich people (Pierce Brosnan has a house here), its as pretty as it gets.
I've posted some photos of the two bedroom villa, pool area and lobby on the DVCFan Facebook Group. I'll update you as time goes on. Aloha and happy travels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter