Stolen credit card possibly caught on surveillance camera WWYD

Honestly, I would drop it also. Due to privacy laws, she won't be able to see the tapes anytime soon.

If the police pull them, she can see them

I had my wallet stolen a few years ago. Unfortunately, it was overnight so I didn't realize it until the next morning and they had already charged $300 worth of stuff. I called the police, filled out a police report, and contacted my bank. They replaced the money within a few days. The police said that they'd pull the video tapes from the places, but likely nothing would happen. I was a bank teller for quite a few years in my 20's and knew that the tapes were never of great quality. A few days later I got a call that my wallet and driver's license had been found in a ditch. I was just happy I didn't have to go to the DMV! :laughing:

You are lucky! MY purse was stolen 3 years ago (they broke into our garage and took it out of my van, which was locked) They gave me pictures of the guys from the camera footage at Walmart where they went shopping on my card. Never found my wallet, which means I had to replace EVERYTHING...license, debit card, credit card, AAA, library card, frequent shopper cards etc etc etc

The police are going to see a photo on a surveillance tape and then what? They know what they look like - but unless the cops go "oh, that's Five Fingered Sally, we'll go pick her up" all they know is what she looks like. If its a small town, you might get results, in a city it isn't worth the bother.

We got the photo. We didn't know the guy, but our neighbors remember seeing them soliciting in our neighborhood a few days before my purse was stolen, and the police went to the company, found the guy and arrested him.

We got the photo. We didn't know the guy, but our neighbors remember seeing them soliciting in our neighborhood a few days before my purse was stolen, and the police went to the company, found the guy and arrested him.

That's great! But its a low probability result.

If the police pull them, she can see them

Yes, but the police don't seem to feel its warranted. Thats the strange part of this. Usually the police will take the report, and depending on the dollar amount will stareport. rt the tracking for the report. Even the financial institution can not go to the retail store and get the tape. Internal LP and the police have to work together to get that done. If its a large retailer, it could take some time

You are lucky! MY purse was stolen 3 years ago (they broke into our garage and took it out of my van, which was locked) They gave me pictures of the guys from the camera footage at Walmart where they went shopping on my card. Never found my wallet, which means I had to replace EVERYTHING...license, debit card, credit card, AAA, library card, frequent shopper cards etc etc etc

My wallet was stolen from my car overnight at a beach house visiting my sister. Stupid on my part. There were 6 cars broken into that night. Not only did they take my wallet but they ate all the candy we had in the car from the ride down and left the wrappers. They were in my car a long time! All that was done was a police report and I had to call my cc/bank and attach the police report number in case of fraud. They only tried to use one card, and the cc stopped/overturned the charges. Then when they found my wallet, it was with someone else. Evidently selling of cc/bank cards is a big issue. They remake the cards with your number/their name to avoid id issues. The police told me that sometimes, the person using the card is NOT the person who stole the card. Most of the time, if its being sued on the internet, its the actual 'thief' using the card or at least trying to.

You were definitely very lucky!

Kelly

One of my co-workers had her wallet stolen. She immediately had her debit card cancelled and watches put on all three credit bureaus. Her credit union informed her that they attempted to use the card to make a $600 purchase at a local department store. Fortunately, the card was declined, so the person left without making a purchase.

She contacted the police department of the city where the wallet was stolen, and they told her to go to the city where he tried to use the card (about 25 miles away).

She contacted that city's police department, who said she had to go back to the city where the wallet was stolen.

The department store has good surveillance cameras, so she contacted the store to ask to see the tape. They said that police has to get involved.

The credit union gave her the time the attempted purchase was made, so it should be easy to pinpoint the thief. However it seems neither police departments want to get involved.

I told her to get a lawyer. We get free legal consultation through our work. But what would you do?
My. Purse and car keys were stloen in a store now i can use my car cant work cant feed my faimly my purse had my and my sons social my id my debit card my husbands debit my AAA card etc etc there has to be something that can be done it is not just a lost card i have no way

I wouldn't have her hire a lawyer per se. We get a half hour a year free law consultation.

I was going to have her hire the lawyer to force the store to show her the survellance tape. Probably with the police.

She is out very little money (a $7 McDonald's charge), so yes it's not worth it. But the wallet also contained her social security card. So she has to get fraud watches on all the credit bureaus.

Why do I suggest her do this? To make sure the thief doesn't do this again. She spent most of the past week dealing with police, credit union, credit bureaus, etc. No one should have to do this.

This is th reason you don't carry the social security card.!

My son had his wallet stolen. They did not use his debit card but did use his credit card. They used it at 7-11 t 3AM. My husband went up to the store and explained situation. They let him see the tape and gave him a copy for the police. My son filed a police report and the police knew who the guys on the tape were. The tape helped the police with their case against them.

Last year, my debit card was used at 4 Krogers in one day. I still had possession of my card. I called my credit union. They credited back all the money taken. Cancelled my card and sent me a new one. They handled everything.

One of my co-workers had her wallet stolen. She immediately had her debit card cancelled and watches put on all three credit bureaus. Her credit union informed her that they attempted to use the card to make a $600 purchase at a local department store. Fortunately, the card was declined, so the person left without making a purchase.

She contacted the police department of the city where the wallet was stolen, and they told her to go to the city where he tried to use the card (about 25 miles away).

She contacted that city's police department, who said she had to go back to the city where the wallet was stolen.

The department store has good surveillance cameras, so she contacted the store to ask to see the tape. They said that police has to get involved.

The credit union gave her the time the attempted purchase was made, so it should be easy to pinpoint the thief. However it seems neither police departments want to get involved.

I told her to get a lawyer. We get free legal consultation through our work. But what would you do?

I wouldn't do ANYTHING at all. The credit union/bank is the one that has to pursue this, it's not my problem. I'm not running around playing detective when it's not my loss, and where I don't have the authority to do anything. IF my credit union said anything besides "We'll take care of it", I'd be moving my accounts somewhere else.

So sorry to hear all this. It's so common though. You want heads to roll. You want justice. Unfortunately it costs money to do all of this. Sometimes you just have to put your faith in sweet lady Karma.

I wouldn't do ANYTHING at all. The credit union/bank is the one that has to pursue this, it's not my problem. I'm not running around playing detective when it's not my loss, and where I don't have the authority to do anything. IF my credit union said anything besides "We'll take care of it", I'd be moving my accounts somewhere else.
So sorry to hear all this. It's so common though. You want heads to roll. You want justice. Unfortunately it costs money to do all of this. Sometimes you just have to put your faith in sweet lady Karma.
This thread was from 2012.

I had a woman using my credit card buying all kinds of stuff and the credit card company knew who she was because she had the stuff shipped to her house. But they said it's too costly to pursue legal action so they just take the loss. It's a shame because then these lazy people continue to sit on their duffs at their computer (bought by me) and get free stuff. When caught on one credit card, they just try another And they know there's not much risk in their actions and NO consequences.

[This thread was from 2012/QUOTE]

I'd like to ask Grnmtnman why and how he restarted this thread? I'm curious how it happens. I've had several of mine resurrected and it seemed like the posters were trying to push a product but I'm baffled by this one.

I'd like to ask Grnmtnman why and how he restarted this thread? I'm curious how it happens. I've had several of mine resurrected and it seemed like the posters were trying to push a product but I'm baffled by this one.

He didn't. This (first time) poster did. Was probably doing a search on the topic (maybe to see what others had done) and found this thread so registered and posted.

My. Purse and car keys were stloen in a store now i can use my car cant work cant feed my faimly my purse had my and my sons social my id my debit card my husbands debit my AAA card etc etc there has to be something that can be done it is not just a lost card i have no way

I work in retail loss prevention. Video will only be given to law enforcement. Video will be recorded over in 30 to 90 days. Retailers have no reason to care because they get paid by the bank if the card was present. Most police dont care because banks right off and the consumer doesnt pay. This means that the bank has yi file charges for yhe card usage. Its a non violent crime so 99% of Police wont follow up. The police report is for you to show in case identity is stolen and to show banks you are not lying or will go to jail for doing so.

I work in retail loss prevention. Video will only be given to law enforcement. Video will be recorded over in 30 to 90 days. Retailers have no reason to care because they get paid by the bank if the card was present. Most police dont care because banks right off and the consumer doesnt pay. This means that the bank has yi file charges for yhe card usage. Its a non violent crime so 99% of Police wont follow up. The police report is for you to show in case identity is stolen and to show banks you are not lying or will go to jail for doing so.
Working in retail as a manager, I remember the company told us not to give the tapes to law enforcement. That really shocked me. Why would you not want to help with serious issues. Couldn't even play it for them in my office. I am glad I don't work for them any longer.

Working in retail as a manager, I remember the company told us not to give the tapes to law enforcement. That really shocked me. Why would you not want to help with serious issues. Couldn't even play it for them in my office. I am glad I don't work for them any longer.
Liability reasons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!