Strategy for DHS Extra Extra Magic Hours (6-9am Sept 1- Nov 2)

To avoid people "lining" up --- similar (if you are old enough to remember) the lottery system ticket venues used to sell concert tickets. Everyone in line got a random ticket and based on that ticket number was where you got your spot in line to buy tickets. So you didn't need to camp out all night to be first in line. Whether you were first or showed up 1 minute before, you had an equal chance to be first in line.

If they do a lottery system for entrance into the land? That will be pretty darn awesome.

They will need to control flow into/out of this land at first .. and any way it can be done without the huge crowds at the gates and the "stampede" at rope drop .. the better. They probably learned a lot since opening Pandora.
Pandora opening day wasn't a stampede at all. People lined up very early and got walked over to the land, there was a line to get into the land but it was contained and controlled by CM. To me a randomized lottery is very unfair when I am willing and able to be there very early and then someone shows up later and gets in first.

Pandora opening day wasn't a stampede at all. People lined up very early and got walked over to the land, there was a line to get into the land but it was contained and controlled by CM. To me a randomized lottery is very unfair when I am willing and able to be there very early and then someone shows up later and gets in first.

Totally agree with this - I know nothing should surprise me anymore, but a virtual que sounds like the best strategy. That way people arriving after the first "wave" get to go into the land, we're not just standing outside doing nothing when so much else can be done in those early morning hours.

Hopefully the Disneyland test to this "reservation" system go well. I would love to see it in action at WDW. After getting used to the FP+ system, I have no problem getting a reservation time of when I can enter the land without having to worry about lines, crowds, etc. I mean . .i have to plan out 3 rides and a meal. I want to experience this new land .. not get up pre-dawn to wait in lines to experience it with a 'mob' of people.

If they tell me I can't enter the land until 3:00 pm .. fine .. I can easily plan my park day around that. It's a bit harder to plan around not knowing if you have to wait to even enter the land (and if so how long) .. especially with little kids .. and especially if you just want to experience the land -- not the ride (again . .because of little kids)

I don't think they will change to a reservation system now, since they already committed to the EEMH.

Anyone else thoughts on this if they will change it?

I'm not sure a virtual que would be accessible to all guests if they don't have MDE and / or a magic band..both onsite or offsite guests.
I'm thinking outside the box here but..maybe both a pass into the land and a time for the ride combined into one paper pass as you are entering thru the gates. This would keep big lines from forming anywhere except the normal lines to get in. This way would also work for extra EMH as well, instead of a pass to get in SWGE and a FP you would just get a FP for smugglers run...
Kinda old school with a paper pass but it would be fair to everybody...of course a few problems could occur such as scalping and losing the actual ticket/pass.

It would be so simple it may just work....never mind :rolleyes:

To avoid people "lining" up --- similar (if you are old enough to remember) the lottery system ticket venues used to sell concert tickets. Everyone in line got a random ticket and based on that ticket number was where you got your spot in line to buy tickets. So you didn't need to camp out all night to be first in line. Whether you were first or showed up 1 minute before, you had an equal chance to be first in line.

If they do a lottery system for entrance into the land? That will be pretty darn awesome.

They will need to control flow into/out of this land at first .. and any way it can be done without the huge crowds at the gates and the "stampede" at rope drop .. the better. They probably learned a lot since opening Pandora.

Nooooo I’m not lucky. They would draw the number right behind me.

going to DHS approximately 1 month after GE opens staying at ASM i am a super early riser, plan to get to the park at 5am for my DHS day

We can not arrive until 8:30am from Disney Magic cruise bus. We are not going to Galaxy’s Edge. Do you think the other attractions will have long waits already? We have #3 anywhere FP from the cruise ship ticket but wanted to save at least one to hop to AK for FoP. Or would you go to AK first and use #2 FP for HS SDD and RaRC.

We can not arrive until 8:30am from Disney Magic cruise bus. We are not going to Galaxy’s Edge. Do you think the other attractions will have long waits already? We have #3 anywhere FP from the cruise ship ticket but wanted to save at least one to hop to AK for FoP. Or would you go to AK first and use #2 FP for HS SDD and RaRC.

Early in the day, I would think that everything not in GE will have reasonable waits, with the possible exception of SDD. As for FOP, most of the early crowd heads straight there, so if that ride is a priority for you, I would use your FPs for that.

I'll be curious to see what Disney does as well. Tons of people standing around in line just to enter the land means they are not spending their money elsewhere in the park. I think the money people will want to find that middle ground. You do not want GE overrun with people to the point where it is not enjoyable, but you also do not just want guests standing around doing nothing either.

DisneyLand will be a good test. Since they are initially not doing any type of FP for the new ride, I wonder why they would not just consider a temporary FP for entrance into the land itself.

Of course, for those who do not really care about Star Wars or plan for multiple days at DHS, they probably hope tons of people are just standing around in line because that will probably mean manageable waits everywhere else early in the day. If I were going, I would probably do two early morning half days at DHS. One to be there real early for GE and another just to take in all the other rides.

I'll be following along, waiting to see how it all unfolds. I went ahead and booked a couple nights in late Oct. to take advantage of EEMHs, but will also see how we fare later in the evening. I'm willing to get to DHS at 4:30am once to try EEMH, but my son is not, so we'll have to see how evening hours without anything special go. A virtual queue could come in handy for that, maybe.

Staying at the Boardwalk Villas 10/30 - 10/31

How long is the walk from the Boardwalk to DHS? I have never done it before. WOndering what time I should start walking over.

Man I love everyone's optimism in this thread compared to my own assumptions! We are going 9/25-10/2 and one EEMH was announced I figured we'd be doing a 3:30 wakeup and arriving close to 4:15. I see a lot of people here are theorizing 5a might be ok. I just figured SW fans and the hype will be way worse than Avatar hype. I'm glad I'll have a month of reports to better figure out when we need to get there.

As far as the virtual queue goes, I can see them doing that later in the AM/day once GE fills up. I know someone said it wouldn't be fair because not everyone has a smartphone/MDE but for DL you will be able to see a CM to get a return time as well so you would not need MDE in order to join the queue.

LOL, I am one of those who would love to see them have a long line to get into the land so that the lines for other rides are reasonable.................

Same. We'll be at the Boardwalk and plan on getting up at 5am to be there at 6am opening. We don't care about SWGE and I imagine most folks there that early will be trying to get that in so we'll wander down to RnR and ToT While everyone else is enjoying (?) space Disney.

For all our Disney trips, we NEVER did a rope drop or even close to it -- so with that said, do people have one person stand in line as a "place holder" and then they get joined closer to opening time/FP+ time by their family? I've seen this done multiple times on regular FP+ lines and it drives me absolutely crazy (I get it if a kid has to get off line to go to the bathroom or something), but for SWGE wonder if this will be allowed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!