Stroller for Kindergartener?

My vote is stroller. Our last trip our kids were 3 & 5 and we're leaving in 6 days with a 5 & 7 yo. We will have a stroller for our Kindergartner and there are even 2 nights that we plan to bring a 2nd stroller along for my very fit, active, non-complaining 7 yo. And yes, there are many threads on this and lots of very passionate views on this topic. ;)

It's A TON of walking day after day, less rest/sleep time, change in eating schedule, temps can be hot, etc. It's nice to have the stroller when needed. You don't have to bring it on every outing and can save it for when needed. For instance, if you're still out until 1am, or if you're touring all of Epcot - those are good times to bring it. If you're spending 6 hours or less at DHS -- then you can skip bringing the stroller. Also, you can always leave it in stroller parking for an extended time if you don't need it for a while.

My vote is also yes...we used strollers until our kids were about 8 years old, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

We're getting a stroller next month for my 5.5 year old with similar stats. I have a feeling his 9 year old brother will kick him out and rest in it more than he will, but I didn't want to be dealing with a cranky kid and not have a stroller, so I chose to be proactive. Not to mention, we pack our lunch and it's nice to have somewhere to store our bags.

We'll be bringing our old Graco stroller down with us for my Kindergartner when we go prior to Thanksgiving. It has a canopy, basket underneath for storage, reclines if he's really tired and folds down for travel. We're assuming he'll need it but it's not an expense since we've had the stroller for years and it's held up well and it anything happens to it no real loss... We just have to gate check it down with us as we are not planning to bring it back so will just give it to another family with a similar aged child on November 21 the day before we leave.

This probably gets asked and answered all the time, but the search is not my friend tonight!

I'm trying to decide on renting a stroller for my kid in December. He'll be turning 6 a month after our trip, and is 44" and 49 lbs. I'd rent the Citi Mini GT from Kingdom Strollers if I *do* rent one, but I can't decide if I want to bother.

He hasn't ridden in a stroller in years - probably not since the last time we were at WDW when he was almost 4. He definitely passed out in it a few times then, but he's two years older now, never takes naps, and our touring plans this time involves midday breaks (although we're staying at the BC, so I'm sure he'll want to be in the pool...).

The $85 to rent it definitely isn't going to break us, but I'm wondering if it'll be a waste. What would you do/have you done?

37631869812_2275bb04a2.jpg

My almost-4-year-old passed out in the stroller in 2015...

On our last trip, I did exactly what you are considering... rented a City Mini GT from Kingdom Strollers for our youngest who was 6 at the time. I wasn't sure if we needed one, but ended up being so glad we had it. I also have two older kids, so our situation is a bit different - with multiple kids you can't just go at "their pace" because all of their paces are different! If your son is the only child, it's a bit easier to work things around him.

Anyway, our youngest didn't ride in the stroller all the time. We parked it a lot, but I didn't find that much of a hassle. It was great having a spot to keep our extra stuff and not have to lug everything around. We took it to the parks with us every day. The City Mini GT was great - really easy to push around, fold & carry. And super comfortable for my daughter.

I was especially glad to have it:
1. When DD6 caught a cold and just didn't have the energy to keep up with her older siblings all day.
2. When she got traumatized on a ride that was too much for her, it was a refuge for her where she could feel safe and relax while the rest of us kept going.
3. When she fell asleep at the end of the night after fireworks and we would otherwise have had to carry her out of the park.

My daughter never rode in a stroller, even as a toddler (and she stopped napping when she was 2), but she never had any qualms about being in one at Disney. Even my 8 and 11 year olds wanted to take turns in it! People comment a lot about how kids should be fit enough to keep going all day, but it's not the walking that's the problem. My middle child has more energy than anyone I know. She does gymnastics and runs cross country. In her "normal life" she never sits still. But just being on your feet all day at Disney is really tiring, for anyone. I find standing in lines worse than the actual walking. And just the overstimulation alone can be exhausting. So most kids would love the chance to take a break, whatever form that might take.

Whatever decision you make, you will be in good company. There are tons of 6 year olds at Disney in strollers, and tons who are not. Do whatever makes your vacation better for you.

Yes to the stroller. Our son no longer rides in a stroller and was one month shy from turning 5 when we went to Disney. He asked to get in it all the time and it was great to hold our drinks and souvenirs. We would just leave it in a central stroller parking area at times and retrieve it when he wanted to sit or take his time eating a snack in it. Our eight year old even got a few rides. We will be taking a stroller next year when he is 6. It is a lot of walking and it can get busy at times walking through crowds. I wasn't worried he'd get stepped on or shoved in a stroller.

Yes to the stroller at that age. My daughter is 7. This will be her first trip walking. She is now too big for the stroller, and she now has two younger siblings so she is getting booted out of the double. She hasn't ridden in a stroller at home in years, but she does at Disney. We went when she was the same age as your child. We used a stroller. For us, it was a no easy as we had another younger child so we just got a double. At that age, she walked a lot, but it was nice to have at night when she got tired. She fell asleep a few times in the stroller at that age. It was also nice to navigate crowds after night shows. If she was in the stroller, I knew where she was and it wasn't as easy to get separated. Also, it is nice to have a place to put all the stuff you need with kids (snacks, ponchos, etc.).

We have taken a stroller/sit-n-stand for years and will take one for our next month trip. I am still amazed at how many people say that it's a hassle using them in the parks or taking them on buses. We have saved a LOT of time by having a stroller, we much rather have a stroller where we can have DD jump in and quickly get to where we are going and when she gets tired she can sit while we are still moving, unlike stopping to take 10-15 minutes breaks or walking at a slow pace. We normally close the parks and I can say that there has not been one time where either of our DD's has had a melt down because of being exhausted. Not to mention the other benefit of having somewhere to keep your stuff etc. Truthfully, we are not looking forward to (probably next year) when we will not have a stroller.

My daughter will be just 6 when we go (but grade 1 in Canada ;)
My plan is to try our best and see how she does with the option of renting within the park. I think we will end up getting one for world showcase. I want us to have as much fun as possible and I don't want tired legs to make her cranky.
On the other hand, I don't want an annoying stroller to push around and maneuver through crowds if she doesn't even sit in it some days.
And another point - I don't want to encourage the stroller- walking is good for you-- and if we have a stroller, my lazy bones will be in there from the start and I'm not having that.

I plan to bring my Sit N Stand stroller for my DS 4 and DD 6. Although she doesn't use it much, I like to have it for the evenings - which is when she starts to tire out. It gives them both a place to hang out if they get tired and we are still able to get around the park with the stroller. What I like most about bringing my own stroller vs renting at the park is that I can bring it back to the resort. After we get off the shuttles in the evening and they're tired, they can sit in the stroller and I won't have to listen to them whine about them wanting me to carry them all the way back to the hotel room (especially if your room is on the opposite side of the property from the shuttle stop). During the day at the parks, I can keep the strollers at stroller parking in each area and pick it up again before heading to the next area - to minimize their walking/getting tired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter