Stroller help for older child with foot injury (x-posted)

FourLeafClover

Earning My Ears
My 9 year old has a foot condition that is flaring up right now that can make it painful for him to walk at times. We will be at WDW late next week and I am starting to worry that it won't be healed enough for him to walk comfortably for 5-6 miles a day all week.

Can I rent a stroller for an older child at WDW? I looked on the WDW site and it says single strollers are for 50 lbs or less (he is small for his age, but 60 lbs). I know he would be mortified to be in a stroller, but I can't imagine how else we will get around all week if he can't walk comfortably. (This is a kid who powered through 3 days in NYC with no complaints, but that was before this foot thing.)

Any advice on renting strollers at WDW or a rental service that we could rent one through that could deliver to our condo?

Thank you!

I don't have advice on a stroller for his size, but would he find being pushed in a wheelchair less embarrassing? You might want to explore onsite and offsite rentals for that. The disABILITIES board could be a good resource.

If you do use a stroller and you will be using it in lines, you will want to get something that indicates that the stroller is being used as a wheelchair, so that you will be allowed to bring it in the line. I've heard about it on the boards, but I've never needed one myself. I'm assuming you would get it from guest relations, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Why not rent a child size wheelchair? You can rent one local and bring with you, or look at renting in Orlando and have it delivered to your resort? When my now 23 year old was in pre-k, he broke his leg and his teacher complained he was too slow on his walker (he wasn't coordinated enough for cruches) and when I talked to my insurance, they paid for a child size wheelchair from a local medical company. It was great, except then his before/after school program didn't like loading and unloading it every day.

If he doesn't want a wheelchair, what about the scooters that people use after foot surgery. You can also rent those from medical supply rental companies. They make them in kid sizes as well. https://www.amazon.com/KneeRover-Walker-Scooter-Pediatric-Alternative/dp/B01J4F1LIQ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter