Struggling to lose weight

While calories in vs. calories burned is a simple way to address losing weight, it doesn't address some realities many of us deal with. Water retention can vary so much day to day and mask any fat loss you may have. Hormones, too much salt and other factors play a role in water retention. Metabolism is also a factor. At various stages of your life, your metabolism will change and the number of calories your body burns while just existing will vary. If you always eat what you always ate and your body suddenly requires fewer calories just for you to exist, you will gain weight. My advice is to work with your body, eat mostly healthful foods and watch your portion sizes. In my case, while I generally ate healthful foods, my portions and proportions of protein, carbs and fat were so out of wack for so many years that I ended up being morbidly obese. Watching portions and modifying some of my eating habits has helped me lose 80 pounds in 16 months on Weight Watchers (plus 30 more on my own the previous 5 years). I chose a way that I will be able do until I reach my goal (45 pounds to go) and then adjust a bit to maintain. I don't exercise much (yet!) and am 61 so don't believe it when you hear that older people can't lose or you have to go to the gym every day. Find what works for you for long term success. Fad diets, surgery (IMHO) and manufactured products are not the answer.

A lot of really good stories and advice.

Here is what my wife and I have done:

The key is nutrition and portion control on guilty pleasures- and happiness.

Stress will pack on more lbs than food will- so feel good about yourself while your doing whatever you do.

We start our mornings with a cup of warm water and fresh lemon and honey to kick the metabolism into gear. Then have to have my cup of morning coffee. We use splenda now, instead of sugar (took about a week to get used too-but now cant stand the taste of cane sugar in my coffee)

We make cold oats buy mixing oatmeal, almond milk, splenda to taste, and add a little crushed unsweetened pineapple. (any fruit is fine) This is during the work week. Weekends we do have regular eggs and toast, but include avocado mixed with chopped tomatoes. To me-the key is avocado in EVeRY meal. (makes you feel full-and lasts longer)

Lunches consist of salads and tuna, or what was leftover from dinner. We purchased some ceramic lunch containers from amazon and only fill it to 3/4 full. (YES- it has avocado in it...lol)

Dinner is a small salad with boiled egg, romaine, red onion, Kalamata olives, cucumber an tomatoes. We make home made dressing of olive oil, red wine and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar. We do not use our dinner plates- We use the bread and butter plate for whatever we made that evening IE- boneless chicken thighs, sausage and peppers etc.

I cook a lot with turmeric, we've started doing more plant based like beans, rice (I only use Jasmine or Basmati rice-Asian country staples) Sweet and golden yellow potatoes. AND- avocado! Please remember to SEASON your food when you cook it.

That little bread and butter plate can have on it- a little rice and beans, small wedge of sweet potatoes, topped with avocado/tomatoes and pineapple with a sprig of cilantro and lime.

We make our own desserts-cakes too, but we cut a small piece to finish out the day.

Recently, we got rid of the stair-climber, 2 treadmills, and bicycles. We purchased a weight and squat bench through Walmart, and 300 lbs of weights. At Amazon, they had a group of exercise and weight training 18X40 laminated exercise posters which included yoga, streching, other fun stuff to do.

So far I have dropped 8 lbs, my wife 6 lbs. (2 weeks) We do 30 minutes of low weights Monday-Friday and relax on the weekend. AND its fun- we doo have a TV in the room so we always have something on when we work out.

We keep the house cold (temp wise) you burn more calories, if its a placebo-so be it- it appears to make us think its true. :)

I am 56 and my wife is 53.

Edited to say- with going more towards plant based (we didn't completely cut out meat protein) we have had a pretty big boast of energy lasting longer in the day. I have cut out milk an replaced it with almond milk- but I don't like the taste so I add a little cocoa and splenda to taste.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter