Studio villa vs. standard room

a real lady

Booking our very first trip to Hawaii & looking for advice. I see that a studio villa and a regular room are the same price. I know that the villa is slightly smaller, and also has a microwave and toaster. The regular room is slightly bigger, but only has the fridge & coffee maker. My question is- for a 12 night stay with DD's 11 & 9 YO, which is more practical? I've never been & am having trouble prioritizing. Thank you!

We have stayed in both and preferred the regular hotel room. It had two beds where the studio had a bed and a pull out sofa and that was not as comfortable for us (two adults/2 teens). If the kids dont mind the sofabed or perhaps even prefer it then the studio might be better for those full 12 days as it does allow for a little more space when the bed is put away.

I believe the studio has a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and toaster. If you want to save some money on food, I would get the studio so you could make sandwiches, salads, have mild for breakfast cereal, etc. The food at Aulani is very expensive, IMHO.

We have stayed in both and preferred the regular hotel room. It had two beds where the studio had a bed and a pull out sofa and that was not as comfortable for us (two adults/2 teens). If the kids dont mind the sofabed or perhaps even prefer it then the studio might be better for those full 12 days as it does allow for a little more space when the bed is put away.
Thanks for the reply! My kids are 11 & 8, and are so excited for their trip to aulani that I think they won't mind the sofa bed!

I believe the studio has a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and toaster. If you want to save some money on food, I would get the studio so you could make sandwiches, salads, have mild for breakfast cereal, etc. The food at Aulani is very expensive, IMHO.
That is a very good point. I think we will end up with the studio for that reason. Thank you!

Agree with @blondietink that the "kitchen" facilities of a villa unit will be very useful on a 12-night stay. You can buy your food items at the ABC store right across the street from Aulani.

The standard hotel room does have a refrig, coffee maker, and electric tea kettle. A microwave and toaster would have been nice but our daughters preferred the queen bed over a pull out. If you are going to be there for 12 nights, I am assuming you will have access to a rental car for at least part of the trip. I would go to the Super Target or another full size grocery store. ABC is fine for a few of the basics but is more expensive and less selection.

OP, your question is the same as mine. I am leaning more towards the standard room, though for different reasons. I was at Aulani in May 2014, in a studio. We had the misfortune of having crying babies on both sides of us all week. I think the chances of that happening again would be less in a standard room.

OP, your question is the same as mine. I am leaning more towards the standard room, though for different reasons. I was at Aulani in May 2014, in a studio. We had the misfortune of having crying babies on both sides of us all week. I think the chances of that happening again would be less in a standard room.
Sorry, but I'm not following the logic on this one. Why would a standard room have less likelihood of getting a crying baby one both sides?

Sorry, but I'm not following the logic on this one. Why would a standard room have less likelihood of getting a crying baby one both sides?
Because I think a family with a baby is more likely to stay in a DVC unit with the microwave than in the standard room.

Let me live in my fantasyland, please, until they can allocate one small section for adults only :)

Not to hijack, but does anyone know what bed is in a standard studio? King or queen?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter