Suggestions for a room where I can push bed up against wall.

Buzz2014

Mouseketeer
We are booked at Pop in the fall and I see new rooms have a nightstand table cubby thing between bed and wall as well as murphy bed and wall. Due to my kid being a very active sleeper we really need the bed moved up against wall. At other values it has never been an issue and we still get 2 bedrails. One for bottom and one for the non wall side. One trip housekeeping only had one rail avail and said they were out so that wall has really saved us (used alot of blankets at bottom too).
With this upcoming reservation I fear they wont be ok with giving us 3 bedrails since we can no longer push the bed over.. is it unreasonable to ask for 3? should I just ask to move to another value? I know places rent rails but its a longer trip and if they offer them it would be nice to save the money since I believe rental places charge per night. We have never stayed at a moderate and its never really fit our budget since we try to go 2/yr. (2x year budget works better for us than 1x year or everyother at a moderate/higher)

Also my child has special needs and this will be our first trip with a larger stroller. Does anyone think a jogging size stroller would fit at pop somewhere without collapsing. We have no problem folding it up but it has alot of additional padding and removable cushions that even once we collapse it, it may take up a good amount of floor space.

Thanks this is my first official thread/post, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:welcome:

You can request an "older" (non-refurbed) room at POP, though it is only a request. However, I've read varying reports as to whether or not resort beds are moveable, at various resorts. I honestly don't know if some people are stronger than others, or if there may in fact be different frame styles in use. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know if requesting an old POP room or changing resorts might not have the bed style you want/need.

As to bedrails, they are only a request through the resorts. The only way to guarantee having some -- and particularly 2 or 3 -- is to rent or bring them. I personally would not feel comfortable requesting 3 rails, as that would potentially mean 2 other families might get none. I don't know rental rates, are they that expensive? Is there a model that you could pack to bring with you, or ship to yourself at the resort? Would pool noodles work for keeping your child safe?

As for the stroller, people fit ECVs in value resort rooms, I've even seen a picture of 2 in one room. Unless your jogger is significantly oversized, I suspect it will fit. Keep in mind that If it is larger than 48x30 inches you may have trouble using it in queues at the parks.

Enjoy your vacation!

Hey thanks for all the info. The last time at pop housekeeping actually pushed the bed to the wall when they brought the bed rail. The platform moved pretty easily for her. At Music we move it and not as easy as it looked at pop.

Since we are going in the fall I think I will request the 50's and hope it's still an old room. I imagine it will be since they are working on 80's now, unless they go out of order and skip 70's and 60's saving them for last since they are more central.
I don't know too much about the renovations, just that ppl started getting new rooms in 90s recently. We are not too picky regarding decade or distances/location etc. So I don't think it will be a difficult request.

I think the stroller will be ok too... just reassuring to hear from someone else it will fit.

If your kiddo can sleep in a sleeping bag, then get one with the appropriate level of insulation (they make them as thin as bed sheets) and then pin it to the bed with giant safety pins.

I have night terrors most evenings and when traveling this trick provides just the right enough resistance to keep me in bed if I wake up looking to run. Maybe it can help your kiddo.

You could also look at the inflatable beds they sell - google inflatable kiddie bed.

You can also get inflatable bed rails, or use pool noodles under the sheets.

We are booked at Pop in the fall and I see new rooms have a nightstand table cubby thing between bed and wall as well as murphy bed and wall. Due to my kid being a very active sleeper we really need the bed moved up against wall. At other values it has never been an issue and we still get 2 bedrails. One for bottom and one for the non wall side. One trip housekeeping only had one rail avail and said they were out so that wall has really saved us (used alot of blankets at bottom too).
With this upcoming reservation I fear they wont be ok with giving us 3 bedrails since we can no longer push the bed over.. is it unreasonable to ask for 3? should I just ask to move to another value? I know places rent rails but its a longer trip and if they offer them it would be nice to save the money since I believe rental places charge per night. We have never stayed at a moderate and its never really fit our budget since we try to go 2/yr. (2x year budget works better for us than 1x year or everyother at a moderate/higher)

Also my child has special needs and this will be our first trip with a larger stroller. Does anyone think a jogging size stroller would fit at pop somewhere without collapsing. We have no problem folding it up but it has alot of additional padding and removable cushions that even once we collapse it, it may take up a good amount of floor space.

Thanks this is my first official thread/post, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
had our young grandson decide he did not want bed rails and kicked them off the bed which turned out to be very easy to do as the rails only pushed in

When our daughter was younger, she had night terrors, every night, sometimes several times a night. I think I didn't get more than 3 consecutive hours of sleep for about 10 years. LOL, she's 23 years old now, and I'm still tired!

What we learned was this: At home, her mattress was on the floor. No box springs, just the mattress on the floor. If she rolled out, it was no big deal.

But... when we had to travel (which was *all* the time, because she was a Shriner's Hospital patient, and we were down there quite often) I found that an inflatable rectangular kiddie pool was great. My hubby found a Coleman camping battery-powered inflator (meant for air mattresses and pool toys) and so I would pack that, plus the pool, plus her favorite quilt from home. Once she got used to sleeping in it, it worked like a charm; I would set it up on the floor (again, no worries if she did happen to fall out) and then if we were staying more than one night in a location, I wouldn't deflate it, but just stand it up against the wall in the hotel room.

Luckily, she did eventually learn to sleep on a "real" bed, and although she still has night terrors, they have changed as she has matured.

I love @cobright's idea; my only concern would be if one of the safety pins "popped" open, I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. As a quilter, I can tell you that the days of the good, sturdy, old-fashioned diaper pins with locking heads are long gone, and the thinner wire that is used now allows enough "flex" that I see pins pop open all the dang time. If you have access to good, sturdy pins that won't pop on you, then by all means, I think that is one of the most creative solutions to the problem!

I have noticed that many of the WDW rooms seem to have beds that are difficult to move. Perhaps consider an alternative solution - Then you can stay at any Resort you want to. If you have time before your trip, you can even "practice" at home with what you will use on the trip - that way everyone in your family is used to whatever you decide to do beforehand, and there's no question of "will it work?".

Good luck - and let us know what you decide to do!

Orlando Medical Rentals has bed rails -- a couple of different options -- that I consider not terribly expensive (and I tend to be quite budget-conscious). They offer daily as well as weekly rental rates, with the weekly rates equivalent to less than 3 nights -- so in the $20-$30 range for a week. Even multiplied by 3 that's going to give you peace of mind that you are guaranteed to have what you need/want without relying on bed frame style, bed move-ability, or availability/condition of free bed rails through the resort. Or others have given options of things you can bring with you.

I will caveat that I have not used this vendor, but I have read good reports here on the DIS.

Enjoy your vacation!

I love @cobright's idea; my only concern would be if one of the safety pins "popped" open, I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. As a quilter, I can tell you that the days of the good, sturdy, old-fashioned diaper pins with locking heads are long gone[...] If you have access to good, sturdy pins that won't pop on you, then by all means
I was referencing the old style diaper pins. I have a chock full o'nuts can with 30 or 40 of them in it that I think were originally bought to pin my father's diapers. It should have occurred to me that modern incarnations of it would be chincy things. I'm pretty sure my son could use one of these old pins as a rock climbing carabiner.

If I had to think out a solution without using giant safety pins... perhaps something using suspender clasps. The beefy ones have good holding power. I was hung up by my suspenders falling down a ladder last year.

I think that is one of the most creative solutions to the problem!
Well thank you. I try to have only the best ideas. Don't always succeed at it but I do try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!