suggestions for port excursions in Tortola & St. John's, St. Thomas

mikewdw

wdw coach
any info/suggestions/experiences for port excursions in Tortola & St. John's, St. Thomas
we are planning on next summer and trying to plan port adventures. any info appreciated
thanks
mikewdw

We always take a taxi (open air group transport) to Magen's Bay on St. Thomas. Yes, it's crowded as the day goes on, but there are less crowded areas the farther you walk. And it's still one of our favorite beaches. Our one visit to Tortola, we took a taxi (same open air concept) from the port to the beach at Cane Garden Bay. Beautiful ride over and nice beach. We rarely book organized excursions and prefer to go to the beaches on our own.

What is your party makeup?
What kinds of things do people like doing? Anyone like extreme sports, or are you beach people, shopping people, drinking :drinking1people? Any kids involved?

2 adults 3 kids, 14, 12,12 not shopping, not real extreme, like the idea of catamarans, snorkeling, seeing different parts of islands, not to comfortable just going off on our own

Tortola, I'd recommend booking an excursion off-cruise with Aristocat or Patouche Charters. Both are well-reviewed, reliable, and aren't "off on your own." They also aren't the cattle calls that DCL excursions are, so the snorkeling is much better.

For St. Thomas/St. John, I'd recommend an excursion to St. John. If you want to do DCL, I'd look at St. John On Your Own, Trunk Bay, Honeymoon Beach or the Eco Hike. If you're up for something more vigorous, there's a kayak excursion to the mangroves that is cool.

In St. Thomas, we did DCL excursion "pirate ship" and would recommend taking the catamaran instead. The "pirate" experience was minimal, except that it was a schooner, and since the seas were rough, OMG I was so sick. On a later excursion that day another passenger was injured and was in a wheelchair for the remainder of the cruise.

I know you said you weren't too comfortable "going of on your own" but what we did on Tortola was "on our own" but fairly painless and stress-free. We caught the Speedy's ferry just a short walk away from the cruise ship dock. The ferry goes to Virgin Gorda. Once there you take Speedy's "taxis" up to the top of the Baths and then you can explore the Baths on your own before getting their taxi (which is there waiting) back to the ferry dock. Much cheaper and essentially being on your own schedule rather than being herded through with everyone else make this a much better option than a DCL excursion to the Baths in my opinion. Just want to make sure you get the 7:45 ferry to Virgin Gorda, and we made sure to get the second to last ferry back before ship departure to ensure we didn't have problems.

All that said, if and when we return, we will try to do the Aristocat or Patouche excursions mentioned above. These were full by the time we started looking but they sound great.

We did the Virgin Gorda tour when we went to Tortola in May, we went thru DCL because we were only in port till 2pm and didn't want to be out on our own.
Yes, we were a big group but we had a really good tour guide who took us first to Devil's Bay and then lead the path to the Baths. The path to the Baths is like an obstacle course with some ladders, small rocks to clear and some bigger rocks to go under. It was fun and the payoff of the sight of The Baths makes 100% worth it.

In St Thomas we did Magen's Bay thru DCL, Its beautiful but if we did it again we would grab a taxi and go on our own. The excursion had a "private area' for DCL cruise guests and it was jammed packed. We were next to some very rude people and I was not happy. I looked over to where people were coming in on their own and it was much quieter. Wished we would have went that route...........

St Thomas did the Kon Tiki Boat Tour. It was amazing. We were a group of three adults and two kids ages four and nine at the time. Everyone loved it they have a band playing on board. The best daiquiris I've ever had included on board. Beautiful sightseeing on the way to the beach which is secluded gorgeous water and can see fish swimming around you. When we headed back they gave the kids food to feed fish and had a limbo competition. Food can be ordered on board and there are rest rooms. So much fun I am refusing to book a Disney cruise that does not go to St.Thomas because I want to do that excursion and go to that beach. Haha

St Thomas did the Kon Tiki Boat Tour. It was amazing. We were a group of three adults and two kids ages four and nine at the time. Everyone loved it they have a band playing on board. The best daiquiris I've ever had included on board. Beautiful sightseeing on the way to the beach which is secluded gorgeous water and can see fish swimming around you. When we headed back they gave the kids food to feed fish and had a limbo competition. Food can be ordered on board and there are rest rooms. So much fun I am refusing to book a Disney cruise that does not go to St.Thomas because I want to do that excursion and go to that beach. Haha

We went on the Jost Van Dyke beach day....home of a great beach bar and the "Pain killer",,,St thomas we went on the St John snorkle and beach day, very cool

We've booked with Aristocrat for Tortola and are pretty excited. I spoke with them on the phone to book and had a great experience talking to the owner for awhile. Felt very personable, professional and comes highly recommended over and over on this board (which is why I looked into it to begin with, being originally convinced I'd never do a non-DCL adventure). I'm most excited about this one. We're most likely going to book the Jeep adventure in St. Thomas. Hopefully they'll suit us well and we'll enjoy!

In Tortola we went to the Bath's on our own... very easy and in St. Thomas I highly recommend Godfrey Tours.

In Tortola we did the 1/2 day at the Baths. This is the 2nd time we have done this tour and enjoyed it. In St. Thomas/St. John we did the Champagne Catamaran to Honeymoon Beach and had a fun time as well. My kids, who don't snorkel, took a dingy to the beach.

What did you do once you got to the beach? Were there floats or kayaks to rent? What about beach chairs or snacks?

Does this still go to St. John's Honeymoon Beach?

What did you do once you got to the beach? Were there floats or kayaks to rent? What about beach chairs or snacks?
I believe we had a couple hours on the beach. We swam most of the time. There was a stand serving food on the island. I believe grill things like burgers and such. I didn't try it as I have a fish allergy so was careful and not eating off the ship but lots of people were eating there. There are some beach chairs and a covered seating area and you could also go on and off the boat to sit or for bathrooms etc. There were not things to rent that I recall. My kids love seashells and had brought goggles and were content. I would maybe bring some sand toys and things for young children.

IMG_2792.JPG IMG_2793.JPG Just a couple pics and a tip. This is the boat you're on. When you get off most people stay right next to the boat I'm assuming to be close to the bathrooms and bar. We went down the beach and had tons of space to ourselves and the walk back to the boat was only like a minute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter