suggestions for port excursions in Tortola & St. John's, St. Thomas

In St. Thomas, we did DCL excursion "pirate ship" and would recommend taking the catamaran instead. The "pirate" experience was minimal, except that it was a schooner, and since the seas were rough, OMG I was so sick. On a later excursion that day another passenger was injured and was in a wheelchair for the remainder of the cruise.

COMPLETELY agree. If this is on your list I would not recommend! These guys put completing the trip over safety--or at least did when I was on this excursion.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...SVI-St_Thomas_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html#REVIEWS

I don't know what your budget is but I agree with others that private excursions are not "on your own" and can get you a more private experience.

Good luck...

WJS3

St Thomas did the Kon Tiki Boat Tour. It was amazing. We were a group of three adults and two kids ages four and nine at the time. Everyone loved it they have a band playing on board. The best daiquiris I've ever had included on board. Beautiful sightseeing on the way to the beach which is secluded gorgeous water and can see fish swimming around you. When we headed back they gave the kids food to feed fish and had a limbo competition. Food can be ordered on board and there are rest rooms. So much fun I am refusing to book a Disney cruise that does not go to St.Thomas because I want to do that excursion and go to that beach. Haha

Just wondering if you booked this excursion though Disney or on your own?

Thanks,
Kelly

St Thomas did the Kon Tiki Boat Tour. It was amazing. We were a group of three adults and two kids ages four and nine at the time. Everyone loved it they have a band playing on board. The best daiquiris I've ever had included on board. Beautiful sightseeing on the way to the beach which is secluded gorgeous water and can see fish swimming around you. When we headed back they gave the kids food to feed fish and had a limbo competition. Food can be ordered on board and there are rest rooms. So much fun I am refusing to book a Disney cruise that does not go to St.Thomas because I want to do that excursion and go to that beach. Haha

Thank you for posting about this! Just booked it for me and my two younger kids while my husband and oldest do the kayak excursion. Was looking for something more low-key for us. Appreciate your feedback.

We just did the Jost Van Dyke Disney excursion last week on the Fantasy at the Tortola stop. We absolutely our favorite excursion thus far. My husband always wanted to go to the Soggy Dollar Bar ( http://www.soggydollar.com/bar ), & this was the only way it was happening since he won’t fly anywhere. It was absolutely beautiful, & the Soggy Dollar has a webcam, so our family & friends could see us which I thought was so cool. Plus free WiFi there. We had the famous Painkiller drink.

Attachments

• 8F0235DF-7CFF-4D2F-A81B-C3041FBD80E9.jpeg
    8F0235DF-7CFF-4D2F-A81B-C3041FBD80E9.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 8958A0D8-5AE7-4F76-91FE-B306738309F5.jpeg
    8958A0D8-5AE7-4F76-91FE-B306738309F5.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 94EA2375-5AA1-4FC2-A77B-26450B00F8F0.jpeg
    94EA2375-5AA1-4FC2-A77B-26450B00F8F0.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 49BEB003-B331-473F-9729-1EBA07F52DC9.jpeg
    49BEB003-B331-473F-9729-1EBA07F52DC9.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 62
We just did the Jost Van Dyke Disney excursion last week on the Fantasy at the Tortola stop. We absolutely our favorite excursion thus far. My husband always wanted to go to the Soggy Dollar Bar ( http://www.soggydollar.com/bar ), & this was the only way it was happening since he won’t fly anywhere. It was absolutely beautiful, & the Soggy Dollar has a webcam, so our family & friends could see us which I thought was so cool. Plus free WiFi there. We had the famous Painkiller drink.

How do you get there ? How much ?

How do you get there ? How much ?

It was very easy to get to the yacht as it was parked at the adjoining dock where the Fantasy was docked, less than a five minute walk & we never had to leave the port to get on the yacht. The yacht was very nice, the lower level was roomy & air conditioned or you could be on the open air deck top deck. The tender boat pulled right near the sand & lowered a ramp, so we never got wet transferring onto the beach. See attached pictures of the yacht & how close we were to the Fantasy.

From the Disney Cruise Line Website:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/tortola-virgin-islands-jost-van-dyke-beach-day/

Port of Call

Road Town (Tortola), B.V.I.
Prices

$83.00 (ages 10 and up)$72.00 (ages 3 to 9)$72.00 (ages 0 to 2)
Activity Level & Duration

Mild, Moderate4 Hours
Experience Type

Beach and Water Adventures, Nature
All Ages

Enjoy pure relaxation on Jost Van Dyke, one of the British Virgin Island's most unspoiled and beautiful destinations.
A Perfect Day in Paradise

Kick back and enjoy a day of pure relaxation on Jost Van Dyke, one of the British Virgin Island’s most unspoiled and beautiful destinations.

On this adventure you will…

• Board a motor launch for an approximately 35-minute cruise along the Sir Francis Drake Channel en route to Jost Van Dyke, the smallest of the 4 main islands in the British Virgin Islands archipelago. The island receives its name from a 17th-century Dutch privateer named Jost Van Dyke, who used the harbors as a hideout.
  • Arrive at Jost Van Dyke, where you'll transfer to a tender boat for a short journey to the spectacular White Bay Beach.
  • Be ready to get your feet wet as there is no dock on this white-sand beach, featuring crystal-clear water and waving palm trees. White Bay Beach is also known as the home of the famous “Painkiller” drink, a blend of rum and tropical fruit juices. Upon arrival the day is yours to enjoy - swim, stroll along the shoreline or take advantage of complimentary use of the beach chairs.
  • When it's time to return to the ship, take the tender boat back to the tour boat, for the 30-minute cruise back to the pier.

Attachments

• E221C10D-7850-4FE0-9F4C-7EE81832E783.jpeg
    E221C10D-7850-4FE0-9F4C-7EE81832E783.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 784D9F15-AED3-4675-93D1-7B9FAE15CEBF.jpeg
    784D9F15-AED3-4675-93D1-7B9FAE15CEBF.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Hi! I realize this is old but I'm wondering if you can tell me if you had to ride in a car or bus for the Kon Tiki tour? Or was it boat only?

EE40C406-2880-4A08-AB41-7EEB10205876.jpeg 57AB87F5-8C3F-4276-9808-D2A226BDA68D.jpeg F385AF36-6BBE-4DB7-BE0C-29CC0C616EB7.jpeg In the USVI, we did the pirate ship DCL excursion and I would not really recommend it (not a comfy ride, and beach experience was kind of meh). However! It did allow us to snorkel and see[GALLERY=][/GALLERY] these guys swimming in the crystal clear sea, so still very cool!

View attachment 383327 View attachment 383328 View attachment 383329 In Tortola, we did the DCL excursion to Virgin Gorda and absolutely loved it! Beautiful scenery/beach, the kids had a blast swimming and jumping in the waves (be careful if little ones though, the current can get strong if you go further out).
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Looks gorgeous!! We are doing a half day at Jost Van Dyke in Tortola. Just trying to figure out St. Thomas now! Leaning toward the Kon Tiki ride.

Angeejoe
Thank You so much! Just curious what did the time frame look like for you guys on the Jost Van Dyke. Time leaving the boat, time at the beach, and time back on? How was the boat ride over I thought I read somewhere is could be rough but maybe that was to the baths. Thanks again!

We've done private (non DCL} catamaran/sailboat snorkeling trips in both St Thomas and Tortola. Smaller groups and the captains are gernerally more flexible about changing the itinerary based on the group. Great experiences! You'll find plenty of reviews on TripAdvisor.

It was very easy to get to the yacht as it was parked at the adjoining dock where the Fantasy was docked, less than a five minute walk & we never had to leave the port to get on the yacht. The yacht was very nice, the lower level was roomy & air conditioned or you could be on the open air deck top deck. The tender boat pulled right near the sand & lowered a ramp, so we never got wet transferring onto the beach. See attached pictures of the yacht & how close we were to the Fantasy.

We really would be interested in this excursion, but in our group, we have several with hip issues. When reading they lower a ramp, it seems like that would be fairly easy getting off and back on the boat. Was this the case? Would you do this excursion with those who are more mobility challenged? Thanks!

Once you have been to Jost Van Dyke, little else will measure up. Make it a point to book it as soon as it opens up, as otherwise it will likely sell out.

We did it on our own.

We really would be interested in this excursion, but in our group, we have several with hip issues. When reading they lower a ramp, it seems like that would be fairly easy getting off and back on the boat. Was this the case? Would you do this excursion with those who are more mobility challenged? Thanks!

Yes, I would as long as they’re comfortable with transferring from the large yacht onto a smaller boat that takes you closer to shore, then you walk the ramp down into the sand-so also be comfortable walking in sand. We actually choose this excursion because my husband had had several knee surgeries, so excursion from boats with the straight ladders never work. If this is a person that generally relies on a wheelchair, but can walk short distances, I’d say no to it. It’s honestly the most beautiful beach I’ve ever been to.

Angeejoe
Thank You so much! Just curious what did the time frame look like for you guys on the Jost Van Dyke. Time leaving the boat, time at the beach, and time back on? How was the boat ride over I thought I read somewhere is could be rough but maybe that was to the baths. Thanks again!

I’m sorry, I’m just now seeing this, since I wasn’t quoted, I didn’t get an alert. It was like a half hour boat ride, all smooth with beautiful views, & then we were there like 2-2.5 hours I think. The time went fast. You’re dropped off right at the beach itself, do no time wasting driving then to a beach. There were 2 bars, we went to the Soggy Dollar, my husband has seen it on lots of boating shows & has always wanted to go. The Soggy Dollar has a live feed, so our family & friends at home we’re watching us & texting. It was so beautiful there. Go to the Soggy Dollar live feed, you can see for yourself:

https://www.soggydollar.com/webcam

Yes, I would as long as they’re comfortable with transferring from the large yacht onto a smaller boat that takes you closer to shore, then you walk the ramp down into the sand-so also be comfortable walking in sand. We actually choose this excursion because my husband had had several knee surgeries, so excursion from boats with the straight ladders never work. If this is a person that generally relies on a wheelchair, but can walk short distances, I’d say no to it. It’s honestly the most beautiful beach I’ve ever been to.

@ktate82 msybe watch the Soggy Dollar live feed, you may see the tender boat & ramp yourself to get a better idea!
https://www.soggydollar.com/webcam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!