suggestions for port excursions in Tortola & St. John's, St. Thomas

Has anyone done discover scuba on st Thomas, what time did you get back to the ship were you able to bring a go pro?

We went on the Jost Van Dyke beach day....home of a great beach bar and the "Pain killer",,,St thomas we went on the St John snorkle and beach day, very cool

What was the lunch options with the jost van dyke excursion? We have this booked for our next cruise

Tortola, I'd recommend booking an excursion off-cruise with Aristocat or Patouche Charters. Both are well-reviewed, reliable, and aren't "off on your own." They also aren't the cattle calls that DCL excursions are, so the snorkeling is much better.

For St. Thomas/St. John, I'd recommend an excursion to St. John. If you want to do DCL, I'd look at St. John On Your Own, Trunk Bay, Honeymoon Beach or the Eco Hike. If you're up for something more vigorous, there's a kayak excursion to the mangroves that is cool.

Are the Aristocat or Patouche Charters just snorkelling? Thanks

Yes, I would as long as they’re comfortable with transferring from the large yacht onto a smaller boat that takes you closer to shore, then you walk the ramp down into the sand-so also be comfortable walking in sand. We actually choose this excursion because my husband had had several knee surgeries, so excursion from boats with the straight ladders never work. If this is a person that generally relies on a wheelchair, but can walk short distances, I’d say no to it. It’s honestly the most beautiful beach I’ve ever been to.

This is just what I was looking for! They are generally mobile around home, shopping, and such, but when we go to Disney, they rent EVCs. They walk around on the ships, but I knew they couldn't do the straight ladders up and down into the boats for the snorkeling excursions.

Do you get chairs in the excursion or do you have to rent them?

Thanks!

This is just what I was looking for! They are generally mobile around home, shopping, and such, but when we go to Disney, they rent EVCs. They walk around on the ships, but I knew they couldn't do the straight ladders up and down into the boats for the snorkeling excursions.

Do you get chairs in the excursion or do you have to rent them?

Thanks!

The chairs were free to use. Our excursion & a handful of private boats were the only ones there because it’s so remote. They were the lower lounger chairs, but at the Soggy Dollar they had some picnic tables which would be easier for those with hip & knee issues to sit & stand from. Log onto their website, you can see the layout there.

What was the lunch options with the jost van dyke excursion? We have this booked for our next cruise

There were just 2 bars, I’m not sure if the other one had food as we went in the excursion for the Soggy Dollar, the Soggy Dollar has a restaurant- see the link to their menu below. Food was not included in the excursion.

https://www.soggydollar.com/eats

Nope. They can customize depending on the group. They'll go to the Baths, or to Jost Van Dyke, neither of which is a snorkel destination.

Just looked and looks like Jost Van Dyke not available with them for our date. Such a shame as recommendation

Don’t know who else to look at as not been before

Just looked and looks like Jost Van Dyke not available with them for our date. Such a shame as recommendation

Don’t know who else to look at as not been before

From what I can tell, because the cruise ships dock in Roadtown, you would have to do a complete boat charter to take Aristocat to JVD.

I think unless we do on our own which bit nervous of I am going have fo second choice :(

Reading recommendations for beaches in Tortola that can do on own with taxi

Beef island

Cane garden bay

(Assume both are just taxi rides)

Which would you say is better and closest

Also any other beaches you recommend please

We are lucky that in port for ten hours

At Thomas

Again want a beautiful beach. Again what people have suggested
  1. St John (ferry?)
  2. Trunk bay (ferry?)
  3. Magens Bay taxi
  4. Honeymoon beach (not sure how get there)
  5. Coki beach thoughts again please

Have found two companies recommended for tour/beach but both have good /bad reviews
  1. Godfrey
  2. Sunny Liston
Thoughts again please if anyone has used. Some reviews say turn up late

We loved Magen’s Bay on St Thomas. We did the excursion through Disney and it was fantastic. We arrived early and no one else showed up for about an hour to 90 minutes later.

I liked it because not only was the beach and water beautiful, but there is a restaurant right there that takes credit cards. That was important to us as we have kids and they needed to eat lunch while we were there.

Aristocat Charters in Tortola was our favorite day on our last cruise (in November). I would do it again in a heartbeat.

We wanted to do this cruise but DDs schedule bumped us to western. We have gone to St J and Trunk Bay twice on our own. That’s what we’d have done again. Very easy. And I would have done Disney’s Soggy Dollar excursion from Tortola. We’ve done The Baths twice.

Coki Beach is okay, but it's not anywhere close to one of the best beaches on St. Thomas. Magan's Bay is better, as is Lindbergh Bay, either of which is an easy taxi ride. Coki Beach is mostly good if you want to do Coral World AND go to a beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter