Suggestions from Floridians about moving and living near WDW

I dont know how much help I can be, but my husband and I moved from KC, MO to Orlando about a year and a half ago, and its been an experience for sure. Couple of things, I would STRONGLY suggest renting for awhile to get a handle on where you want to live and what is important to you. We vacationed in Orlando probably 3-4 times a year for 15+ years and it is NOT THE SAME as living in Orlando, meaning you may think you know it... but you don't. Finally, a year and a half after moving here we are just starting to build a house in Davenport, and that was made after months of months of researching on my part.

I get what you are saying about rif raf, and I think it's hilarious all those that are pretending they don't know what you mean. Probably the same people who would NEVER in a million years buy a house near section 8 housing, or in a low income area because they feel its "unsafe", let alone what it does to your property value. This is coming from someone who DID own a house right down the street from section 8 for about 11 years, and it didn't bother me in the slightest, however it did cause a problem when I went to sell our house (value was way down because of it). Most people I have found are hypocrites in that area, they will tell you not to judge, but have no problems doing it themselves.

With that being said, THIS: http://judgmentalmaps.com/post/138155787880/orlando

Is both hilarious and very factual.

As far as getting a job, I personally could not move without knowing I had employeement lined up. My husband got a job at Universal (he is in energy management, I call him a glorified meter reader...), and I am a nurse so it took me literally two weeks to get my job moved from KC to Orlando. With that being said I have known those that have moved to Orlando with no job offers at all, and did ok, not great, but ok. Like someone above said it depends on how you feel about risk.

As far as savings... take what you estimate moving will cost you and atleast double it, maybe triple it... that is what it will cost you, realistically. Seriously, stuff WILL come up that you don't expect, it costs A LOT to move, I MEAN A LOT. Also, if you have the money to pay someone to move for you, DO IT. We figured we could save so much by doing it ourselves... I laugh when I think of that. Its worth it.

With that being said I do not regret moving to Orlando, we had a lot of bumps along the way but I think it was worth it, no snow, no ice (though I still funny enough have my ice scrapper in my truck...) always something to do, and you really can never say you are bored its great.

Last thing, some have mentioned don't chose a location based on proximity to the parks because you may not always want to go. Now I have only been here a year and a half, so that may not be long enough.. but we have Disney Annual Passes, Universal Annual Passes (duh! its basically free for us!), Sea World and Busch passes. We are at a park, somewhere, almost every weekend. However, its different then if you are vacationing, we maybe go for a few hours, and then leave. Keep in mind we used to go to our local park in KC ALL THE TIME too, we love theme and amusement parks and have since we were both kids (we are in our 40's) so you may be different. Still, being within 30 mins or so of the parks is a big thing for us. Still you will not want to live in the tourist area, because a)traffic is HORRIBLE, b)tourists are HORRIBLE and c)Tourist areas are HORRIBLY expensive to live in. did I mention Traffic is horrible?!

Hope this is helpful!

I dont know how much help I can be, but my husband and I moved from KC, MO to Orlando about a year and a half ago, and its been an experience for sure.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Finally, a year and a half after moving here we are just starting to build a house in Davenport, and that was made after months of months of researching on my part.

Congratulations on your upcoming move to Davenport! Our winter home is in a touristy corner of Davenport and we can attest to the increased traffic during the peak seasons. But it doesn't bother us too much. We just plan our outings accordingly. We didn't find our place to be too expensive. But then it is a slightly older home in a short term rental neighborhood. We used to rent it out but not anymore. As our neighborhood ages it seems to be shifting to full time or seasonal folks like us.

We are at a park, somewhere, almost every weekend. However, its different then if you are vacationing, we maybe go for a few hours, and then leave.

Once per week is also about where our parks visits seem to have settled in. Since we have the flexibility, we prefer weekday morning rope drops visits. And, like you, we only stay for a few hours. As you say, there is always plenty to do.

Having lived in the area for many many years, two places that I would never move to are Celebration and Davenport. Most people who have lived in the area for a long time would agree.

okay farther away from Disney than most of you. that say LOVE where I live - it is small town - crime rate is pretty low (it definitely has thefts - but most murder are family)

takes me an hour to 90 minutes to get there - also cheaper than most of you - I have the weekday seasonal pass for WDW - so I go Mon-Fri most weeks. I am retired - that say looking for a job (had to get a car which was not in the budget) - can do w/o one - but want to still do WDW and that takes money.

I go through Winter park to get to WDW - there is a short cut - so Winter park is definitely closer. Do this w/o getting on any interstate - although you can take 429 if you want too. Winter park is a pretty town - looked there before moving down here and did not like the sections I was shown

Having lived in the area for many many years, two places that I would never move to are Celebration and Davenport. Most people who have lived in the area for a long time would agree.

Not really helpful information unless you elaborate, please. Why not Davenport? We are looking around Providence.

Not really helpful information unless you elaborate, please. Why not Davenport? We are looking around Providence.

I'm not the person you quoted, but Davenport wouldn't be my first choice simply because of location: it's almost rural with new suburban development sprawl.. if you don't mind being in a characterless environment with limited entertainment/cultural offerings nearby it may not matter. Also the sheer amount of vacation rental properties in the area and Polk County's reputation for poor schools just wouldn't put it near the top of my list. I do have friends who are building a home out there because it's just more affordable than being in Orlando.

I'm not the person you quoted, but Davenport wouldn't be my first choice simply because of location: it's almost rural with new suburban development sprawl.. if you don't mind being in a characterless environment with limited entertainment/cultural offerings nearby it may not matter. Also the sheer amount of vacation rental properties in the area and Polk County's reputation for poor schools just wouldn't put it near the top of my list. I do have friends who are building a home out there because it's just more affordable than being in Orlando.

Thank you for your insight!

Why not Davenport? We are looking around Providence.

If you have visited the Providence development you have seen the edges of the rural nature of Davenport. Hopefully you drove further down 17 into Davenport to get a sense of the area.

Also the sheer amount of vacation rental properties in the area and Polk County's reputation for poor schools just wouldn't put it near the top of my list

For us the short term rental was an advantage as we rented for the first few years. I know that some are cautious of being in a rental development but it has not be a problem for us. I think the Polk County school issues would be something that a family would want to be comfortable with. For our retired seasonal visits, that wasn't an issue.

I do have friends who are building a home out there because it's just more affordable than being in Orlando.

Affordability is what Davenport is about. It is the tradeoff against which you need to weigh the other issues. For us it meant we could afford a nice, slightly larger than we expected home in a well kept development. But I know that Davenport will not be for everybody.

Something I didn't see mentioned, or missed, is to consider your dogs when moving. If I were to move down I'd have to make sure I'm far enough away from the parks that we didn't hear fireworks each night because my current dog is afraid of fireworks. My last two couldn't have cared less.

Personally I wouldn't move anywhere unless I had a job lined up but I'm not freelance. I moved to and from FL and both times I had my job on the other end of the trip set before I even started looking for housing.

Last edited:
My family and I live in the Tampa Bay area, and it's nice. About 90 minutes away from the parks, and lots of things to do. Plenty of non-trailer park neighborhoods to live in, as well.

Just saw this ... on facebook.

Streaming the Magic

Are you seriously considering moving to Florida so you can be closer to Disney World? Have a lot of questions about the process? Well you're in luck!

August 14th at 9:pm eastern time we'll be hosting a LIVE Q&A with an Orlando Real Estate Agent who made that same decision a few years ago
1f642.png
:)

Agree with previous poster(s); visiting and thinking that living in the greater Orlando region is going to make Disney/Universal a transplant haven is mistaken IMO. I've lived here for over a decade and the construction/congestion has increased (it seems exponentially). I would never dissuade anyone from moving Orlando/Florida, but know what your getting yourself into.

I do love being so close to the theme parks, but the cost of living is just about on par with my experience with living in the NE (normalized for real estate, etc.).

I have a friend that works for Disney and she started in the CP. She then went part-time after that and then was able to get on full-time. She didn't start working in her "dream" area, but after being in the company for a bit and establishing a good reputation for herself, she was able to get into the area that she really wanted to be in.

So, if you have dreams of working for Disney, don't be afraid to start at the ground floor, even if it's in an area that isn't your "dream" area.

If you are unhappy in your current state, I would definitely say take the chance and move. As long as you are going into it with your eyes wide open (thanks, in part, to many great pieces of advice here), I think you will be fine. There are lots of people that I've talked to at Disney that just up and moved. Most have been very happy with their decision. In the end, you have to do what is best for you and your family. And staying somewhere that you are unhappy with, does not sound like the best thing for your family, IMO.

Best wishes on your decision!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter