Suite help needed

waggles02673

Mouseketeer
So we are thinking of booking our first Royal cruise in a Crown Loft Suite on the Oasis. We are Platinum on DCL and usually sail in a Concierge suite on DCL so we know how all that work but no clue as to how it works on Royal. Does Royal give you pre-booking like DCL Shoreside Concierge or do you have to book all your extras on your own? Can you book things like dining, shows etc before everyone else or does it open for everyone at the same time? If it opens at the same time is it one of those things that you have to do very quickly once the window opens? I'm sure I'll have a hundred more questions. Thanks in advance.

You will get contact info (email) from the concierge about 30 days before you sail, and he (or she) can make all of the reservations and bookings for you. Depending on which itinerary, the concierge is also where you would pre-book cabanas at RCL's private islands. The RCL concierge "snags" (holds back) a certain number of booking slots for everything that usually fills up fast.

You will get contact info (email) from the concierge about 30 days before you sail, and he (or she) can make all of the reservations and bookings for you. Depending on which itinerary, the concierge is also where you would pre-book cabanas at RCL's private islands. The RCL concierge "snags" (holds back) a certain number of booking slots for everything that usually fills up fast.

Thanks!! When does the window to book onboard activities open up and is it like DCL where the Concierge can usually get you a table etc. I know Cabana's would need to be booked early. Also how are the Cabana's on the private sundeck?

Last edited:
Thanks!! When does the window to book onboard activities open up and is it like DCL where the Concierge can usually get you a table etc. I know Cabana's would need to be booked early. Also how are the Cabana's on the private sundeck?

welcome to royal! the CLS is awesome. i hope you love it! it's our favorite cabin type.

the comedy show should be booked online. for all other shows you just show your suite seapass card to the folks at the door and they will let you in. there are reserved areas for suites in the theaters, though you dont have to sit there. some of the suite seating is very good, like at the aqua theater. in the main theater, suite seating used to be in the balcony, but i was just on allure last week and they had moved it downstairs, to the back of the center section. the seats were very good there, too.

no rhyme or reason as to when dining and entertainment open up on the website, and they sometimes open at different times, like you can book dinners before you can book shows. i start checking about 6 months out, but it's usually closer to 2-3 months. if you are on cruise critic, they have "roll calls" (like the dis meet boards) and someone usually blows the whistle there when they notice the reservations are opened. however, the concierge can generally get you into "sold out" restaurants, spa appointments, etc. also. the only time i've heard of a concierge not being able to do that was on wonderland on quantum, as well as the comedy show i mentioned before. be aware that if you book online before the cruise, you will be charged at time of booking, unlike disney; if you have the concierge book for you, or you book onboard, you will not be charged until you're onboard and it will go on your seapass account.

if you want a cabana, especially an over the water one, i would not wait for the concierge's email. i'd email them about a month out, maybe a little more. they will likely tell you to email back closer to the cruise, but at least you are on their radar and they will get you the cabana. on my allure cruise last week, when the concierges sent the email it noted that the over the water cabanas were already gone. also, royal now has different classes of suites, and it's possible that the higher class (CLS are in the middle class) was given opportunity to reserve the cabanas first. just conjecture on my part; i really have no idea, but it's the first time i was unable to get an over the water cabana if i wanted one (which i used to, but now they've doubled the price and it's definitely not worth it to me). if you've been in a cabana on castaway cay, royal's cabanas are nowhere near as nice - they are much smaller, with just a roof, 3 walls, and a cooler with bottled water, as well as some beat up seating. no fridge, no snacks, no safe, no hammock, no changing area, no doors, etc etc. the suite beach on labadee is great, though.

the cabanas on the sundeck are very nice. i wish i had thought to take pictures. i heard the upper level suites can reserve those, too, but the couple times we were on the sundeck there were always one or two open.

That's what I was looking for thank you very much. Any of the suites better than another (bigger balcony)?

That's what I was looking for thank you very much. Any of the suites better than another (bigger balcony)?

the big thing to realize with the crown lofts is that the L1s look over the ocean but L2s look over the sports courts (basketball, mini golf, etc) and i think the boardwalk area. Some people like L1s because they are quiet and private and have good ocean views. Some people like L2s because they can see all the action. There are occasional complaints that the L2s are noisy, though with the doors closed the soundproofing is generally pretty good. The L2s definitely have less privacy. So, one's not really better than the other, but you may prefer one over the other depending on whether you want ocean/privacy/quiet or action/fun views/something totally different. also, L1s are generally a little more expensive, but not much (maybe a couple hundred dollars).

If you choose an L1, the best views will be from the middle of the curve (the floor where the CLS are is slightly rounded). that is room 1710 on port, and whatever's right across from it on starboard (1748, i think). we were in 1708 on allure, and it was a great room. you can tell from the deck plans which rooms are in the center. 1702 has a sort of hallway when you walk in which some people like, but i think its balcony is slightly smaller (and same with 1756 on starboard). if it was up to me, i'd try for 1748, or the room right in front of or behind it. but really, they are all fantastic, and like no other room out there.

there is smoking allowed on the port side of the pool deck, so occasionally when we were in port and not moving, we could faintly smell smoke on our balcony in 1708. as a result, we booked on starboard for our upcoming harmony cruise. it would probably not bother most people, but DH is very sensitive to it.

as for balcony size, the balcony on the CLS is smaller than that of some of the other suites, like owners suites. the balcony holds two loungers and a table between them, and that's it. there is room for a little more furniture - i've heard some people request dining tables or more chairs - but not a ton of space. the double-high ceiling is great, though - it makes the balcony really feel airy. other suites like the owner's suite and grand suite have wider balconies (OS is generally about the width of 3 staterooms, GS about 2 rooms wide), so they often have loungers and also a dining table and maybe some other chairs. you don't get the high and airy feeling, though. the CLS being on 17 is also great now that the suite lounge and coastal kitchen are there. We've stayed in both GS and OS and they are fine, but you don't really get the "wow" you get with a CLS.

if you want a bigger balcony, you might want to look at the A4 aqua theater suites. they are one bedroom suites way at the back of the ship that have a wrap around balcony with views of the aqua theater. they are on decks 11, 12 and 14 (no deck 13 on oasis). i would not stay on 14 as the balcony is tiny, but on 11 and 12 the balconies are huge and have fabulous views. the bedroom is quite tight on 12, but for two it is ok for a week. if you'll have kids with you, i wouldn't do it. i haven't been in the suite on 11, but it's bigger than the one on 12. if you'll have family with you, the larger aqua theater suites on the lower floors have two bedrooms and way more balcony space, but they are $$$$ compared to the CLS, OS, GS, or smaller aqua suites.

sorry if that's too much info. we were just on allure last week so it's all fresh in my mind. :)

the big thing to realize with the crown lofts is that the L1s look over the ocean but L2s look over the sports courts (basketball, mini golf, etc) and i think the boardwalk area. Some people like L1s because they are quiet and private and have good ocean views. Some people like L2s because they can see all the action. There are occasional complaints that the L2s are noisy, though with the doors closed the soundproofing is generally pretty good. The L2s definitely have less privacy. So, one's not really better than the other, but you may prefer one over the other depending on whether you want ocean/privacy/quiet or action/fun views/something totally different. also, L1s are generally a little more expensive, but not much (maybe a couple hundred dollars).

If you choose an L1, the best views will be from the middle of the curve (the floor where the CLS are is slightly rounded). that is room 1710 on port, and whatever's right across from it on starboard (1748, i think). we were in 1708 on allure, and it was a great room. you can tell from the deck plans which rooms are in the center. 1702 has a sort of hallway when you walk in which some people like, but i think its balcony is slightly smaller (and same with 1756 on starboard). if it was up to me, i'd try for 1748, or the room right in front of or behind it. but really, they are all fantastic, and like no other room out there.

there is smoking allowed on the port side of the pool deck, so occasionally when we were in port and not moving, we could faintly smell smoke on our balcony in 1708. as a result, we booked on starboard for our upcoming harmony cruise. it would probably not bother most people, but DH is very sensitive to it.

as for balcony size, the balcony on the CLS is smaller than that of some of the other suites, like owners suites. the balcony holds two loungers and a table between them, and that's it. there is room for a little more furniture - i've heard some people request dining tables or more chairs - but not a ton of space. the double-high ceiling is great, though - it makes the balcony really feel airy. other suites like the owner's suite and grand suite have wider balconies (OS is generally about the width of 3 staterooms, GS about 2 rooms wide), so they often have loungers and also a dining table and maybe some other chairs. you don't get the high and airy feeling, though. the CLS being on 17 is also great now that the suite lounge and coastal kitchen are there. We've stayed in both GS and OS and they are fine, but you don't really get the "wow" you get with a CLS.

if you want a bigger balcony, you might want to look at the A4 aqua theater suites. they are one bedroom suites way at the back of the ship that have a wrap around balcony with views of the aqua theater. they are on decks 11, 12 and 14 (no deck 13 on oasis). i would not stay on 14 as the balcony is tiny, but on 11 and 12 the balconies are huge and have fabulous views. the bedroom is quite tight on 12, but for two it is ok for a week. if you'll have kids with you, i wouldn't do it. i haven't been in the suite on 11, but it's bigger than the one on 12. if you'll have family with you, the larger aqua theater suites on the lower floors have two bedrooms and way more balcony space, but they are $$$$ compared to the CLS, OS, GS, or smaller aqua suites.

sorry if that's too much info. we were just on allure last week so it's all fresh in my mind. :)

Thanks again we actually have CLS 1748 booked!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter