Summer vacation without a park visit?

We have our flights on SW still 7/20-7/31 (rebooked from 5/26-6/6), hotel res. on Dis property and tickets. I think we will skip Disney and save our tickets for when things aren't so scaled down. We will probably book a pool home in Windsor Hills which we are very familiar with and just enjoy the Orlando area. Maybe spend a few days at the beach. Enjoy your vacation!! :beach:

I love this too !!! I think its a good decision to hold onto Disney stuff when things are closer to normal again. Many times we have gone to Orlando area without going to Disney at all. We didn't miss it one bit. There is plenty to keep entertained. I hear Windsor Hills is nice. Its also on my bucket list to try. If we go for the entire month of August next year, I will definitely have Windsor Hills on my list of options. Have a WONDERFUL time. :cool1:

We are at Windsor Hills right now, everything is great! Our townhouse is perfect and the kids love having the plunge pool right here, they also love the main pool and water slides, no wait, just up and down the water slides all day. Went to DS for lunch yesterday and will go for dinner tonight, they are really enforcing the mask rule, I was told to pull mine up over my nose when it slipped down. It was too hot for too much yesterday, hope this evening won’t be so stifling. Other plans include KSC, Legoland & the beach.

If you have ALWAYS stayed on-site, this pandemic may give you the motive and chance to experience off-site. I am sure DISNEY does NOT want their die-hard on-site guests to see what is offered outside the bubble, hence, they have dropped their hotel prices. Its really a good sales tactic when you think about it. Keep the sheep herded together so they can never wander outside the gates. Intimidate them with fear in believing they will find it difficult to 'survive' outside the bubble. Give them free transportation from the airport and bring them in via 'toll-roads' so they can't see all the hotels, gift shops, entertainment and other amenities offered 'off-site'. Distract them by playing music and videos on the bus to keep them from paying attention to what's outside the windows and gates.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with their tactics; and actually I give them credit for it. Hey, sales are sales. A Disney only vacay works for many people. I am not insulting people who LOVE all things DISNEY. My point is, you don't know if you would like off-site if you have never tried it. Question: Why is it EASY to stay off-site and easily visit Disney attractions; BUT, if staying on-site, DISNEY makes it difficult to visit off-site attractions. ( Remember the big Uber and Lyft fiasco where Disney didn't want them coming onto their property? Was that ever really settled? I guess the "Minnie Vans" was the solution) Disney does NOT make it easy to venture out of the bubble. Honestly, if you paid on-site hotel rates, and park tickets, and meals, why would you want to venture off-site after spending all of that money anyway? Disney dictates the vacation by giving you 'choices' of where to stay, what to ride, when to ride it, what to eat, what times to eat, etc. The 'choices' are to make you THINK you are in control but they really have all the control. Their intent is to keep the off-site world as far from you as they possibly can. I advise people should take a chance and venture outside the bubble and discover all that Orlando and surrounding area has to offer. You may find that you don't need as much "DISNEY" to have a great vacation.
If you have ALWAYS stayed on-site, this pandemic may give you the motive and chance to experience off-site. I am sure DISNEY does NOT want their die-hard on-site guests to see what is offered outside the bubble, hence, they have dropped their hotel prices. Its really a good sales tactic when you think about it. Keep the sheep herded together so they can never wander outside the gates. Intimidate them with fear in believing they will find it difficult to 'survive' outside the bubble. Give them free transportation from the airport and bring them in via 'toll-roads' so they can't see all the hotels, gift shops, entertainment and other amenities offered 'off-site'. Distract them by playing music and videos on the bus to keep them from paying attention to what's outside the windows and gates.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with their tactics; and actually I give them credit for it. Hey, sales are sales. A Disney only vacay works for many people. I am not insulting people who LOVE all things DISNEY. My point is, you don't know if you would like off-site if you have never tried it. Question: Why is it EASY to stay off-site and easily visit Disney attractions; BUT, if staying on-site, DISNEY makes it difficult to visit off-site attractions. ( Remember the big Uber and Lyft fiasco where Disney didn't want them coming onto their property? Was that ever really settled? I guess the "Minnie Vans" was the solution) Disney does NOT make it easy to venture out of the bubble. Honestly, if you paid on-site hotel rates, and park tickets, and meals, why would you want to venture off-site after spending all of that money anyway? Disney dictates the vacation by giving you 'choices' of where to stay, what to ride, when to ride it, what to eat, what times to eat, etc. The 'choices' are to make you THINK you are in control but they really have all the control. Their intent is to keep the off-site world as far from you as they possibly can. I advise people should take a chance and venture outside the bubble and discover all that Orlando and surrounding area has to offer. You may find that you don't need as much "DISNEY" to have a great vacation.
So I’m a die hard Disney fan who has been driven away from Disney this summer. We have a three bedroom condo at The Grove booked.

What attractions and activities do you recommend? What else does Orlando have to offer?

We have a seven year old and a thirteen year old (both girls).

Planning on Icon Park, Titanic dinner, and Gatorland.

Legoland caters to kids younger than our teen.

Considering Wekiwa Springs, Volcano Bay, FunSpot America, Forever Florida, bioluminescent kayak tours, swim with manatees, Airboat tours, go karts, mini golf, Sunset Walk, New Smyrna Beach, and escape rooms.

Any thoughts on those? What else would you recommend?

So I’m a die hard Disney fan who has been driven away from Disney this summer. We have a three bedroom condo at The Grove booked.

What attractions and activities do you recommend? What else does Orlando have to offer?

We have a seven year old and a thirteen year old (both girls).

Planning on Icon Park, Titanic dinner, and Gatorland.

Legoland caters to kids younger than our teen.

Considering Wekiwa Springs, Volcano Bay, FunSpot America, Forever Florida, bioluminescent kayak tours, swim with manatees, Airboat tours, go karts, mini golf, Sunset Walk, New Smyrna Beach, and escape rooms.

Any thoughts on those? What else would you recommend?

Well considering you are staying at the "The Grove", that alone should have activities and stuff to do right there on the resort grounds. I think you have a good agenda already based on what you mentioned above. Have you checked the activity schedule at the Grove? The resort activity schedule is an important feature for our vacation. Check to see if they have a "dive in movie" at one of the resort pools. That is something that we enjoy. I am not sure if the shopping outlets are of interest to you but my DD always wants to visit one at some point of the vacation. The Florida mall has an American Girl doll store if your daughters are into that. We always had to go get "Amanda" an outfit and get her hair done while in Florida. I think the Titanic dinner show is a nice feature. Also a day at a beach is always nice. We always went to Clearwater but maybe we will try something different next time. Our last vacation, we spent more time in Busch Gardens and didn't make it over to Clearwater. Another suggestion I have is to go to the "Visit Orlando" & the "Experience Kissimmee" websites. Occasionally I have been known to order the actual hardcopy of the magazines. Its fun to have it around the house leading up to vacation. I like your plans you have already. I think you are going to have a FANTASTIC TIME!!!

Monykalyn, good for you! Sounds like Heaven! :thumbsup2

We have our flights on SW still 7/20-7/31 (rebooked from 5/26-6/6), hotel res. on Dis property and tickets. I think we will skip Disney and save our tickets for when things aren't so scaled down. We will probably book a pool home in Windsor Hills which we are very familiar with and just enjoy the Orlando area. Maybe spend a few days at the beach. Enjoy your vacation!! :beach:
thank you! Most restaurants are now open for dine in, but he few times we’ve wanted restaurant food we’ve gotten carry out. I had a Maggiano’s gift card, and they currently are offering “double portion” for $5-6 more on select items with online/carry out orders. I did that with 3 entrees and a dessert recently - OMG SO good and SO much food!
I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! I usually stay for 2 or 3 weeks now also. So to go to Orlando area and still Work from Home is such a FANTASTIC idea. Also sounds like you picked a good time to go while crowd level was low and just enough stuff open to enjoy. Staying at Marriott Harbor Lake is a HUGE PLUS also. Do you own at Harbor Lake? I have it on my bucket list to spend a week there at least once. Now that we go for 2 or 3 weeks(maybe 4 next year), I like to stay at different resorts each week of our stay. Anyway, it sounds like you had a FABULOUS time!!! I love the idea of an ice-cream social. A nice 'perk' to look forward to. Enjoy!!!!
Thank you! We don’t own MVC but have a timeshare at Lake Ozark in MO that was gifted to us 20 years ago- super low maintenance fees (in fact that’s how I get out of any timeshare wanna be salesperson pitch- just ask them why would I buy when I just traded here and my MF are <$500 year?) - it’s a good trader as it’s a 3bedroom - never had any issue getting into Marriotts in Orlando- in fact just snagged a 3 bedroom at Grande Vista for August when we bring the middle kiddo back for college. We actually had a Marriott resort next to Disneyland Paris for May this year- one of the reasons we ended up in Orlando to use the week. We get several “extra vacation certificates” trading in Interval International- usually not quite this many available resorts in June but we took advantage this year! We are really enjoying Harbor Lake- the last time my oldest had been here she was 6 and it was her first time to Disney!
I know you have stayed at several area resorts here what are your favorites? Westgate seems to always be available, as does Liki Tiki and Mystic Dunes. I’ve stayed at Cypress Pointe as well- Villa was fine but parking is horrible when busy.

My favorite MVC resort in Orlando though is Cypress Harbour- just love the villas and amenities, and it’s not quite so preferred by young families (think Harbor Lake is best for that).

Thank you! We don’t own MVC but have a timeshare at Lake Ozark in MO that was gifted to us 20 years ago- super low maintenance fees (in fact that’s how I get out of any timeshare wanna be salesperson pitch- just ask them why would I buy when I just traded here and my MF are <$500 year?) - it’s a good trader as it’s a 3bedroom - never had any issue getting into Marriotts in Orlando- in fact just snagged a 3 bedroom at Grande Vista for August when we bring the middle kiddo back for college. We actually had a Marriott resort next to Disneyland Paris for May this year- one of the reasons we ended up in Orlando to use the week. We get several “extra vacation certificates” trading in Interval International- usually not quite this many available resorts in June but we took advantage this year! We are really enjoying Harbor Lake- the last time my oldest had been here she was 6 and it was her first time to Disney!
I know you have stayed at several area resorts here what are your favorites? Westgate seems to always be available, as does Liki Tiki and Mystic Dunes. I’ve stayed at Cypress Pointe as well- Villa was fine but parking is horrible when busy.

My favorite MVC resort in Orlando though is Cypress Harbour- just love the villas and amenities, and it’s not quite so preferred by young families (think Harbor Lake is best for that).

OMG @Monykalyn are you kidding me?? o_O You have a timeshare that trades into Marriott resorts easily?? OMG!!! That is my dream come true. I used to own at Westgate Lakes in Orlando. I bought it on resale and gave it back because of the high maintenance fees. It was cheaper for us to rent than to pay those MFees. Lately I have been considering owning a timeshare again, but I want one that has low MFees and trades into Orlando easily. I have been pondering over this for a year or so. Thanks for sharing your info because you have what I am looking for. Not only does your Ozark trade into Orlando, but you get Marriotts which are very upscale resorts. Thanks for sharing this, I will look into your resort. Also, I hope you don't mind to send me a PM if you have any suggestions or recommendations. I hope you don't mind if I PM you too. I learned on TUG that I should not buy a TS in Orlando because of the high MFees. But, I didn't find TUG until after my resale purchase. Anyway, I am looking for something that trades easily for nice Orlando resorts and it sounds like Ozark does. Our favorite resorts in Orlando are: Westgate Town Center/Vacation Villas, HICV@Orange Lake, and Wyndham Bonnet Creek, in that order. I usually can rent a week in a 2bedroom in mid to late August at any of those for less than $700. But I never can get a Marriott for less than $1000/week. So if I can get a Timeshare with maintenance fees under $700 it would be worth it. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. :thanks:

Well now Orange County Fl is mandating face masks in public. Darn, it's getting more serious in Fl and my family will not wear face masks on vacation. We do it enough here. I was hoping to do outdoor things where we could social distance but now masks outdoors....Our trip is 7/20-31 on SW. We could reschedule for August but it is much more expensive now. This virus is SUCH A BUMMER!! :( Sorry, just venting...

Great thread 👍 I’ve had to cancel my 2 week break this year ( im in Scotland) Planning on going back Easter 2021 but this whole episode has soured me with Disney a little, we have alwasy stayed on site but its time for a change. Ive had a look at the Grove Resort mentioned and also the Marriott Harbour Lake and both look exactly like what I am after. We have a teenager and a 5 year old and hoping for a 2 bed suite. Any pros and cons on the above two resorts ? Or any others worth looking at ? Many thanks

Well now Orange County Fl is mandating face masks in public. Darn, it's getting more serious in Fl and my family will not wear face masks on vacation. We do it enough here. I was hoping to do outdoor things where we could social distance but now masks outdoors....Our trip is 7/20-31 on SW. We could reschedule for August but it is much more expensive now. This virus is SUCH A BUMMER!! :( Sorry, just venting...
Same boat here. Vent away. Hope you find something else. We will likely end up at the lake or at the beach instead. Makes me sad, we were going to do the Poly for first time.

Everyone is different. We do not mind the heat. Mountains/woods just doesn't appeal to us. Possibly because we live in NC and have plenty of mountains and forests here.
love Florida beaches in the summer - don't do cold beaches.

Update- we still haven't booked anything. The recent outbreaks in FL have me re-thinking the whole plan. Our state has been very conservative with reopening so we are in good shape. Heading down south and risking exposure does make me nervous. But what also makes me nervous is another 8 weeks at home with nothing to do!! My kids have been awesome through all of this but a week at a pool would be great for everyone's mental health. I have researched other areas on the East coast and the cost to have a pool or be near a beach is just SO much more expensive than our annual FL trip. ::sigh:: For a family of 7, that's a big consideration. It's not as if we will be out at crowded bars or sitting on top of others at the beach, but I think Florida is probably not in the cards for us this summer. :-(

Update- we still haven't booked anything. The recent outbreaks in FL have me re-thinking the whole plan. Our state has been very conservative with reopening so we are in good shape. Heading down south and risking exposure does make me nervous. But what also makes me nervous is another 8 weeks at home with nothing to do!! My kids have been awesome through all of this but a week at a pool would be great for everyone's mental health. I have researched other areas on the East coast and the cost to have a pool or be near a beach is just SO much more expensive than our annual FL trip. ::sigh:: For a family of 7, that's a big consideration. It's not as if we will be out at crowded bars or sitting on top of others at the beach, but I think Florida is probably not in the cards for us this summer. :-(
I hear ya! Earlier this month, on a spur of the moment, we booked a house with a private pool at Windsor Hills. It was amazing! We didn’t stray far from the house. But the kids loved playing in the house pool and the game room. We took walks at night around the neighborhood. Enjoyed mini golf, Kristy Kreme. 😊 Grocery pickup from Walmart. A morning walking around Disney Springs. There’s also a drive thru safari that looked neat but didn’t get there. We came home in a much better mental space.
Now, I watched the numbers rise while we were there and would have left if I felt uncomfortable. But we took all the precautions we use here in the Northeast. Good luck!

One spring we stayed at Sheraton vistana we had a package from seaworld with unlimited food/ 14 day tickets to 3 parks... a week for 4 people was $1200
Sheraton vistana had multiple pools, water slide and parties every night ( karaoke, smores, glow)
We also had go orlando passes... they had unlimited attractions. Just not sure if you will be able to move around in public I guess time will tell.

We are beach people even if we are not in the water. Our hotel in clearwater had a pool not all the traffic of orlando but you could drive in just a thought. We go to florida twice a year once for Disney once for other stuff.

We’re heading to the gulf coast this coming week. We have a rental on the beach where we stayed last year. It’s very private, lots of room on the beach making it easy to stay far away from anyone else.

We’ve already placed a grocery delivery order with enough to last most of the week. If we go anywhere we will mask up. We won’t be eating at any restaurants (maybe some take out or delivery).

Looking forward to it even under the circumstances.

We’re heading to the gulf coast this coming week. We have a rental on the beach where we stayed last year. It’s very private, lots of room on the beach making it easy to stay far away from anyone else.

We’ve already placed a grocery delivery order with enough to last most of the week. If we go anywhere we will mask up. We won’t be eating at any restaurants (maybe some take out or delivery).

Looking forward to it even under the circumstances.
Can you share your rental information. Looking for a place on the beach also. Thanks

Not for summer, but my brother is doing this with all of his grown kids and their kids in December (one lives in Orlando and the others are college professors and teachers who live in Idaho and Connecticut, so have lots of time off in December). He'll get either a pool home at Windsor Hills or a condo or two at one to the many great offsite timeshare resorts (did Cypress Pointe last year - two condos). He's doing that from Dec. 15 - 31 this year and different families will be down for different periods of time depending on school/vacation. It's cheaper for everyone to fly to Orlando than to someone's home, and this being Dec. everyone likes a chance to get out of the cold. With a son in Orlando who is really into all the nearby nature areas, they'll visit some of these places and do some kayaking. And everyone loves to just catch up, visit, and do pool time. The little ones think pool time with Grandpa is the most fun of anything and like that even more than the theme parks. The gang will probably throw in an economical day at SeaWorld too. Last year they did two weeks that included just two theme park days -- one day at SeaWorld and one day at the MK. We spent a little time with them in Orlando last year. This time due to big projects due at that timeframe (I've been told to take vacation early as December is going to be crazy with some tight deadlines), my family won't be going.

Offsite Orlando home and timeshare condo rentals (that have such a great resort feel) are a great value for the money (really nice places for such a reasonable price compared to almost anywhere else), as Orlando has always been overbuildt.

I'm a bit of a hot / humidity weeny, so for me if it's summer in Orlando, I only like to do water based things (too hot for theme parks IMHO in the summer). Have fun.

For beaches as a day trip from Orlando, although it's a bit of a haul ( one and one half to two hours there and one and one half to two hours back almost), I'm personally a big fan of Clearwater beach. I love the big wide beach, all the activity, the pier, and calm gulf waters. Note that I'm more into a happening beach vs. a secluded beach (although with Covid 19 the other is a better option right now). Coco Beach is the closest and just about an hour away instead of two.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!