Summit Plummet

Disney Skeptic

Earning My Ears
So please tell me just how scary is this thing? My beloved has made a bet with me that I won't do it because it's so high and the slide down is so fast. I've watched people going down it on You Tube and it doesn't seem that bad. I don't have an issue with heights, or speed, and really love water. However, I've been reading reports of folk getting nasty bruises on their legs and arms, and generally being bashed round quite a bit.

Can someone give me an idea of what to REALLY expect please?

Like most water rides, if you follow their instructions, you should be fine.
It is fast and really fun, and at points, you don't feel the slide.
Keeping the arms and legs crossed, I've never felt banged or bruised. If you flail around as you go down, I can see where that could happen. Or if you try and slow yourself down.

First time I went on it was before I had hypnotherapy to sort out my fear of heights. Even then, because of the fake 'ski jump' bit, it didn't overly bother me. If you do what you're meant to, like @gharter says, you'll be fine.

It's fun as all get out, and quite repeatable.

If you try and reduce your contact patch to just your heels and either shoulders or elbows, you can get some decent speed going... 🤣

So please tell me just how scary is this thing? My beloved has made a bet with me that I won't do it because it's so high and the slide down is so fast. I've watched people going down it on You Tube and it doesn't seem that bad. I don't have an issue with heights, or speed, and really love water. However, I've been reading reports of folk getting nasty bruises on their legs and arms, and generally being bashed round quite a bit.

Can someone give me an idea of what to REALLY expect please?
I’ve done the ride several times and I never feel scared on any ride at Disney. This ride though does make me nervous when it first starts out since you literally cannot see the bottom because of how steep it is. My back always gets scraped up on any body slide but especially on this one. I would recommend wearing a long sleeve spf type shirt meant for the water to help prevent the scratches. It is super fun and worth doing. Also hold your nose so it doesn’t fill with water when you reach the end.

I don't have an issue with heights, or speed, and really love water.

The height is not really the issue, but the speed is. I call it the wedgie machine; it feels like a high-powered firehose blown up your backside. I find it less than comfortable, and usually only ride it once or twice a trip (my kid will ride it dozens), but I've never known it to bruise anyone. I wouldn't ever talk or trick someone with a fear of heights to ride it, but since you say that's not an issue for you, I say ride it!

Last edited:
It's a lot of fun. I've never been scraped or bruised on it. It's relatively smooth for a tall water slide. Pretty steep, you do feel a bit of separation from the board when you first start. Frankly, I think Slush Gusher, right next to Summit, is far rougher. By time you go over the second hump, you're hauling butt and definitely catch a tiny bit of air. The landing back on the board hurts a bit and gives you a nice wedgie. I love them both, but think Summit is far less rough.

I did not get bruised or even bump the sidewalls. It must not go as fast as I thought it would, because I do remember thinking, "I thought I'd be down to the bottom by now."....and then I was. Great fun.

I love it. But after a few trips. You will get some back “carpet burn”. I mitigate this by kinda arching up a little. I also get a lot of airtime this way. Kinda that you are falling out feeling. But it’s so fun!

It looks worse than it is. It's not totally straight down as it looks from a distance. I didn't have any bruising or pain.

When you are all the way up at the top, it looks terrifying. I’m afraid of heights. It appears as though it goes straight down. I watched a little girl and a woman in her 60s go down before me. I’m a gal in my 40s, so I figured I would survive. They gave me the courage to take the plunge, and I am glad I did. It was so much fun. I have 2 teenage sons that also went down before me, but the little girl and woman who was young at heart gave me the courage. I’ve been about 6-7 times now and never had any issues with bruises and scraps. I definitely cross my legs, point my toes, cross my arms and keep my head and neck straight. I say go for it!!!

It's a lot of fun. I've never been scraped or bruised on it. It's relatively smooth for a tall water slide. Pretty steep, you do feel a bit of separation from the board when you first start. Frankly, I think Slush Gusher, right next to Summit, is far rougher. By time you go over the second hump, you're hauling butt and definitely catch a tiny bit of air. The landing back on the board hurts a bit and gives you a nice wedgie. I love them both, but think Summit is far less rough.

Yes, Summit Plummet is smooth, but the Slush Gusher has humps and you can bruise your tailbone on the landings.

Summit Plummet is awesome and you get a great view of the entire property from the top of it. I love the concept of a water slide that you have to take a ski-lift to ride (well, you can walk, but it's a haul!). You can go almost 60 MPH (check the radar) and it's a blast!

I do not see how those of you who say you have a fear of heights can ride this! You couldn't pay me any amount of money to do it. I'm about to have a panic attack just thinking about it!

I nearly chickened out the first time I did it. But I wasn't about to be outdone by the pair of octagenarian Southern Belles ahead of me.

I'd nevah have lived it down..

LOL!!!:thanks: Thank you all for your responses - I will most definitely be taking the plunge when we're there and I will be sure to hold my nose . . . and expect a biiiiig wedgie!!!:tigger: It sounds amazing - and will be well worth the $15 worth of ice cream (the terms of our bet) at the end!!🍦🍨🍦🍨🍦🍨

I love Summit Plummet but I have been seriously bruised riding it. My right hip/butt cheek, dark blue/black and the size of a small dinner plate. I rode it five times that day and the last run, I slammed against the side wall at the bottom, hard. Despite the hit, I was very surprised when I was back in my hotel room that night getting ready for bed and discovered the injury.

You should do it, it is fun -- but know going in it is definitely not the most comfortable ride. Wedgie city. And my daughter and I both got bruised on the sides our tushies from hitting the sides as you slow down at the end. Nothing horrendous, we felt the hit, but it wasn't super painful. More of an ouch, but quickly dismissed as I was too busy pulling my wedgie out. :blush: (and I must mention we do bruise easily)

And I am not afraid of heights, speed, or water but something about when you are up there and YOU have to push yourself off makes it a little more trepidatious. You can do it! But know it is steep when you are at the top.

You should go for it. Is it scary? A little bit...but that’s kinda the point right?
I’m a total scaredy-cat but I’ve ridden it maybe 3 times now. I had always avoided it (scared of heights, remember?) but one trip we arrived before park open and my hubby and I were chosen to “open the park.” That means you are pretty much obligated to ride it...no second guessing. So I went into it, knees quaking and pretty damn close to an anxiety attack....and I lived. :worship: It was kinda terrifying but also a lot of fun. It lasts a little longer than you think. I screamed all the way down...and had to take a breath to start screaming again. Still, I really enjoyed it and I try to hit it up each trip.

Notes:
- Do this first thing in the morning. The line will still be short, which gives you less time to second guess yourself.
- Cross your arms and hold your nose.
- Be prepared for “rug burn” on your back. It’s not the ride so much as the bubbles that slow you down.
- You WILL have a wedgie. I always wear a skirted bottom to this park because you can not linger on the end of the slide...but you’ll want to because wedgies are not a cute look.

Last edited:
Oh Elle, you did make me laugh!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing: Thank you for your honesty - I will take all of your very insightful comments on board when I go in May. Assuming I survive, I can report back on my experience then:thumbsup2 Ice cream here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🍨

Bruised here too, but not ftom hitting the sides. The water pressure against my thighs left bruises—note that I’m a lady with saddle bag thighs, so they stick out a bit. It was more fun when I was 30, a lot less fun now that I’m in my 50s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter