Sun lotion

GirlDreamer

DIS Veteran
Can anyone recommend good sun lotions? I want to get one that isn't sticky and that absorbs quickly. I'm also curious about the ones that you don't have to reapply as often, are they any good? I think it's Boot's own brand that has one that you can apparently wear for 8 hours before reapplying, has anyone tried that one?

We us the Boots Soltan brand all the time. I haven't used the 8 hour one but I find theirs is the best.

another vote for Boots Soltan. I just bought mine for my upcoming Disneyland California trip. I bought this today

http://www.boots.com/soltan-once-advanced-8hr-protect-lotion-spf50-200ml-10245663

When buying suncream you need to check the UVA protection, the Soltan brand has a 5 star rating, which is the highest.

I only buy factor 50 and even though it says only needed once in 8 hours I will still reapply every 2 to 3 hours in California. The sun is alot stronger and hotter in America then here in UK / Ireland

I used the Tesco 8-hour one (SPF 30, also has 5-star UVA) and that seemed to work for me. Initially I reapplied some in the middle of the day, but (in May) I seemed to get away without doing so with pretty fair skin.

I swear by the once a day creams. I've used Boots sultan (stained my clothes - but they may have reformulated since I last used) and piz buin. I've also used Tesco's own 8 hour cream but only in Europe so far. Never less than SPF 30. All worked really well.

They do last between 6 and 8 hours, so on an early start day will need a top up mid afternoon. Otherwise you will need to top up if you swim or get particularly sweaty (I did burn at Fantasia Gardens!)

Avoid the Nivea spray one - brought my DD out in an itchy rash. I love The Yeon one but it’s really difficult to get in the UK but smells gorgeous and doesn’t have that white sheen to it.

I swear by the once a day creams. I've used Boots sultan (stained my clothes - but they may have reformulated since I last used) and piz buin. I've also used Tesco's own 8 hour cream but only in Europe so far. Never less than SPF 30. All worked really well.

They do last between 6 and 8 hours, so on an early start day will need a top up mid afternoon. Otherwise you will need to top up if you swim or get particularly sweaty (I did burn at Fantasia Gardens!)

I think I saw some reviews saying the same about staining, but if I'm not wrong I think they might have updated it since then. I'll have to look again.

Avoid the Nivea spray one - brought my DD out in an itchy rash. I love The Yeon one but it’s really difficult to get in the UK but smells gorgeous and doesn’t have that white sheen to it.

I'll keep away from that one then as I've got eczema as it is, don't want to make it worse. I already have a regular Nivea one that I'm using up at the moment, but I feel so sticky after applying it, even hours after I put it on. Years ago, I used to get the light blue coloured Nivea one, which was brilliant, but now the light blue one is one that has a bronzer in it, so I'm not sure if it's as good as it was anymore.

I've got a hawaiian tropic aerosol spray, it don't find it sticky but tend to find it doesn't last as long as a normal bottle of sun lotion. It smells lovely though!

We are big fans of Ultrasun. Been using it for years and never had any pink bits. The Sport isn't sticky and doesn't discolour clothes. It is expensive but we try to buy it when it's on special offer (recently from M&S with 20% off) and it lasts ages.

Mrs TT

More often than not the expensive ones have lower UV ratings. Tesco and Boots own brands are 5 Star UV A and B. Boots baby one is good too!

Whilst (as I've already posted) our personal experience over many years means we wouldn't use anything other than Ultrasun, Best Buys in this months 'Which' are: -

1. Hawaiin Tropic Duo Defense SPF30 £5 per 100ml
2. Lidl Cien Sun Lotion Classic SPF30 £1.40 per 100ml
3. Morrisons Protect and Nourish Sun Spray SPF30 £1.50 per 100ml
4. Nivea Protect & Refresh Invisible Cooling Sun Spray SPF30 £3 per 100ml.

15 products were featured. Others tested were Aldi 5th, Asda 6th, Nivea 7th & 8th; Piz Buin 9th & 10th; Wilko 11th; Boots 12th; Lloyds 13th & 14th; Tesco 15th. The only 'Don't Buy' was Avon Sun+ Multi Protection Moisturising Sun Lotion SPF30. Although not tested this year, it was tested last year and hasn't been reformulated this year.

Creams were tested for their water resistance to see how much the SPF had dropped in different waters (salt, moving, tap, chlorinated).

Mrs TT

We use Riemann P20. I'm not sure of *any* once a day treatments, we always top up mid day, but this one has always worked well on sensitive skin. It can stain white clothes and you have to John Wayne it around the room while it dries, but not having eczema flair ups are always worth it.

Whilst (as I've already posted) our personal experience over many years means we wouldn't use anything other than Ultrasun, Best Buys in this months 'Which' are: -

1. Hawaiin Tropic Duo Defense SPF30 £5 per 100ml
2. Lidl Cien Sun Lotion Classic SPF30 £1.40 per 100ml
3. Morrisons Protect and Nourish Sun Spray SPF30 £1.50 per 100ml
4. Nivea Protect & Refresh Invisible Cooling Sun Spray SPF30 £3 per 100ml.

15 products were featured. Others tested were Aldi 5th, Asda 6th, Nivea 7th & 8th; Piz Buin 9th & 10th; Wilko 11th; Boots 12th; Lloyds 13th & 14th; Tesco 15th. The only 'Don't Buy' was Avon Sun+ Multi Protection Moisturising Sun Lotion SPF30. Although not tested this year, it was tested last year and hasn't been reformulated this year.

Creams were tested for their water resistance to see how much the SPF had dropped in different waters (salt, moving, tap, chlorinated).

Mrs TT
Did this report include the UV Protection Rating, parents are being told more and more to check these ratings

The Which report tested how effective they found manufacturers claimed SPF and UVA ratings in typical usage conditions that you would expect on holiday: sunbathing and swimming.

Mrs TT

We are big fans of Ultrasun. Been using it for years and never had any pink bits. The Sport isn't sticky and doesn't discolour clothes. It is expensive but we try to buy it when it's on special offer (recently from M&S with 20% off) and it lasts ages.

Mrs TT
We also are massive ultrasun fans-no staining, no reactions and great sun protection. I'm pretty sure it was Mrs TT's recomendation that got us hooked a good few trips ago.
Also darn it didn't think of using the M&S 20% off! We buy from Gorgeous shop online that sell at a great price and often have 10% on top of that. :wave:

We swear by Sun Bum. My daughter is very pale, and burns all the time, this is the only one we have used that she has not burned while in WDW.

Another Ultrasun fan!
I have ridiculously sensitive skin and my DD gets heat rash but we can both use their Family Sensitive without issues.
Personally can’t use their sports.
Would recommend QVCUK to buy it as they have the 30day money back guarantee if you aren’t happy with it.

We also are massive ultrasun fans-no staining, no reactions and great sun protection. I'm pretty sure it was Mrs TT's recomendation that got us hooked a good few trips ago.
Also darn it didn't think of using the M&S 20% off! We buy from Gorgeous shop online that sell at a great price and often have 10% on top of that. :wave:

Funnily enough there's an Ultrasun Bundle on QVC today as their 'Special Value'. 1 hour 20 minutes left to take advantage of it!

http://www.qvcuk.com/Ultrasun-3-Pie...34998.html?sc=TSV&UDC=TSV&MSG=TSV_OTO_INSTOCK

Mrs TT

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter