Sunscreen question...

The sunscreen stick is amazing. My boys didn't think it tickled as much as rubbing in sunscreen with my hands so they didn't fight at all. We applied 3-4 times a day depending on if we went swimming or not. We had a lot of luck with the NO AD brand, my redhead was nearly as translucent as when we left.

One point worth repeating for people who are not regular sunscreen wearers or regular wearers in Florida heat, Be very careful about how much and what kind of sunscreen you use on your face. Having sunscreen get into your eyes because you are sweating is not pleasant and can ruin a trip pretty quick.

My husband and I prefer the spray bottles of Banana Boat, and being a pale gal, I reapply multiple times a day. We only used 1 regular sized bottle for our entire 4 day trip. I'd recommend getting a few of the smaller bottles (they can be found in the travel section) so that you can carry less. I'm sure you'd go through more than the 2 of us, but maybe buying a small bottle per day might work and keep you from carrying a giant one each day.

I really wasn't too concerned with any of us burning...I'm glad I posted this question, though. I feel like I'll be a lot more aware of how often we are reapplying and what brand we will be using. My bigger concern now is sunblock getting in the little one's eyes and reapplying (which it probably should have been to begin with). The spray bottles make me a little nervous because I never feel like I get enough on the kids...

Having grown up a Florida kid, I can tell you that hats are a "very good thing". That way you can just avoid the sunscreen eye issue all together. When wearing a brimmed hat, you can avoid putting sunscreen on your forehead. That's where the sunscreen in the eyes problem usually comes in. If you are only using sunscreen below eye level, you should be good to go as long as you don't have someone who is a face wiper in the crew.

Since we're on the subject, here's my opinion on the spray sunscreen. If you want to use it on yourself, ok. On other people, just don't. Get a bottle of zinc oxide sunscreen. I'm a wimp when it comes to this stuff, and am in the habit of wiping my face, so I always buy the kid safe version of whatever brand I'm getting.

Thank you @Staren I think I will follow your advice. I have a hat for DD (worried about her the most) and I really think I will avoid the spray all around. I just don't feel very confident in it!

I am also a "sunchallenged" person of Irish decent. My family has found Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50 works best for us. We are allergic to other brands. You will need to apply it before leaving your room in the morning. It needs a few minutes to absorb. Be sure not to forget the neck, ears, and feet if you are wearing sandals. Generously reapply late morning, early afternoon, and late afternoon unless you have returned to your room for nap time. If you children go swimming in the afternoon, you will need to coat them again and let it absorb into their skin before swimming. I hope you have a lovely trip.

A thread about the sunburn challenges of redheads. THANK YOU unrequited23! I am glad your child came out of the parks unscathed, the sun is definitely not kind to us!

Our family trip to WDW is in 28 days. I've visited many times but this will be my first as a mom. Our youngest is going to be 4 on our trip, and as the mom it seems that on EVERY trip I end up carrying everything. So, I have read many threads about what to travel to the parks with and I just have one last question. What do you think is the best option for sunscreen? There are three of us traveling (DF, DD, and myself).

I was wondering specifically about the sunscreen wipes (I've never actually used these) vs travel size bottles or sprays. We are all pretty fair skinned...and I just want to figure out what will be best for protection while carrying as little as possible around the parks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

This may not be the best option, but works for us. I'm fair-skinned... like, I can burn in January in the north when it's snowing, lol, ok, not that bad, but you get the idea, lol.

We fly to WDW. So here's what we do. We actually take all our big bottles of toiletries. We scotch tape the caps shut then put everything in ziploc bags. We put these in our checked bags. We take extra baggies along as well as a scotch tape dispenser (put it in your checked bag too). You could then fill up smaller bottles while there and dispose of them before you leave. We then re-tape the lids shut prior to coming home. Worked like a charm in January and NOTHING leaked.

I'm definitely bringing large bottles and filling smaller bottles...we are also driving so no huge worries about checking luggage! Yay! I found Water Babies SPF 50 yesterday and grabbed two of those and also ordered two stick sunblocks from Amazon this morning. I think we're just about ready! I'm starting to pack some things this afternoon, we're all getting so excited :yay:

We use Equate Sport SPF 45 or 50 can't remember which one level as a general thing. Works well....when we reapply that is. We buy the bigger bottle but I'm planning on using one of my travel bottles that you get in a kit that's TSA approved and putting sunscreen in there to carry around the parks. It's less expensive than buying the smaller sunscreen bottles.

In-laws like the spray version but I find it's a waste of $ since I don't seem to get much usage out of it. YMMV.

OP I haven't checked out the kids versions (if you're wanting that) but you may consider doing that. I would go to the store and see what options they have. I must say I personally hadn't heard of the deodorant kind but if the ratings were good that might not be a bad option for you.

I used my daughters Equate brand this weekend at a splash park here in Tennessee. It was SPF 30 and worked great! I burn easily as does my daughter and we were there for several hours and the only place I got burned was along my hair line where I had apparently not applied the sunscreen. It didn't feel sticky and heavy like other sunblocks either.

I dont know if you have the store Five Below where you live but its an incredible resource for sunscreen and honestly a lot of travel items such as soap and little deodorants. Check it out.

It sounds like everyone is weighing in on what types of Sunscreen and how often to apply. But I will offer this... our worst case of Sunburn came from Animal Kingdom. Make sure you double apply while there. There's a lot of open ground without shade!!

I use coppertone sport 30+ spf. They make a spray and a lotion. It seems to last all day if you stay dry.

While it's definitely a must, I think the danger of sunburn is minimal if you are in the parks all day. You're not in direct sunlight for extended periods of time. A pool break or water park is a different story. Reapply often.

I have never used the wipes.

I would not use the spray in a park-you might spray others and you might miss a spot..it happens.

I would bring a bottle, heck get a small bottle and refill...less to carry. And a stick for the face and ears.

Add me to the list of pasty Irish folks. My husband is darker completed than I am (German/French background) and he never burns. Our little DS is a ghost like me. I use Babyganics on him and it works great! It's mineral based. I actually also use it on my own face. I use a spray on the rest of my body. I never had to reapply while we were there in May, but we tried to be in the shade as much as possible, especially when DS was stroller napping during the hottest part of the day. The only place I burned was my ears, where I forgot to apply sunscreen. Don't forget your ears!!

One suggestion about reapplying sunscreen........my family used the time we were waiting in line to reapply sunscreen, have a small snack, and a drink of water. It just became our routine, so no one argued. My other thought is that if your child is wearing a hat (or a headband) they may be less likely to get sunscreen in their eyes from sweating.

There's a great article in this month's Consumer Reports magazine (June 2017 edition) that rates sunscreens. They test things very thoroughly, including whether the SPF ratings are accurate. Might have been where the OP'S local new station got their info; I know that the Today show dis a news segment on the Consumer Reports article last week.

There were three that received perfect scores of 100. To my surprise, one of the highest rated was Traders Joe's spray sunscreen at $5.99 per can! Half the cost of other brands and doesn't go on sticky or shiny! It's my new best friend! I think one of the other top rated brands was Equate. I'll see if I can find the article and report back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter