Sunset Photos

scrapycruiser

DIS Veteran
Is it necessary to hire a photographer for sunset pictures ? Or will the photographers take your pictures on request without a fee ? Also I’m not sure how the Photo Pass works. Are you paying for a package or just paying for the individual pictures?

When I was at Aulani in May ‘17 there were always at least 3 photopass photographers on the beach at sunset to take pics. And photopass at Aulani works just like at the parks. You can purchase individual pics or you can pay a set price and get all your photos.

I am headed down again in 2 months and am trying to figure out how the photopass works now since in 2017 all the pics showed up in my account since I was a WDW AP holder. This time I am spending 3 days at DL first with MaxPass.

I would recommend trying a couple of different nights and hitting up both the locations—right in front of the snack shack AND around to the left (facing the water) of the lagoon. As with park PP, photographers, skill levels vary. We got one set of “ok” pics and one set of completely gorgeous ones.

We haven't been to Aulani ourselves yet, but read on these boards that if you're interested in buying all your photos on a CD, do so on the last night so that everything is included.

This was my #1 priority when we were there in October. All I wanted was one good family photo at sunset.

We did not reserve a photog. We went down about 45 minutes before sunset and there were 3 Photo Pass photogs standing around the lagoon. One of them was doing a private shoot. The others were just taking pictures of whoever asked. Someone had recommended to me to take photos with as many different photogs as are available, as each has a different eye and a slightly different view. We wound up shooting with two different photogs. I mentioned to both how important those photos were to me. We wound up with almost 150 photos at sunset. All from the same night. All taken in about 20 minutes total.

We bought the photopass CD the morning we were leaving for the airport. We came home with over 500 pictures from our 8 day visit. Then I was able to pick and choose on my own time, without any pressure to purchase particular photos. I ordered what I wanted from shutterfly in the sizes I wanted. Highly recommend photopass!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!