Super Sidekicks September Exercise Challenge

:welcome: Shrfleen to Pascal Purple!

One of the coolest sidekicks is Lucius Best, aka Frozone, best friend to Bob Parr, Mr. Incredible, in The Incredibles. Voiced by Samuel L. Jackson, Frozone has the ability to create ice and freeze surfaces with his hands. His speed-skating moves were inspired by U.S. Olympic speed skater Shani Davis, the first black athlete to win a gold medal in an individual sport at the Winter Olympics (Turin, 2006).

:welcome: Elizabeth Smith to Pascal Purple!

We've just closed out the second week of September, so this weekend let's feature sidekicks who come in twos. First up are Lumiere and Cogsworth, the candelabra and clock from Beauty and the Beast.

These two were heavily influenced by their lead animators in the 1991 animated film. The contentious dynamic between the characters was a cartoonish version of the animators' real-life "odd couple" relationship. They had really rubbed each other the wrong way while working on Rescuers Down Under, and the tension continued while they worked on BatB. But they inspired each other to make the characters even better.

Lumiere was voiced by Jerry Orbach in the 1991 animation and was played by Ewan McGregor in the 2017 live-action version, while Cogsworth was voiced by David Ogden Stiers in the animation and played by Ian McKellen in the live action film.

"Caturday Night Fever" at the zoo reminds me of The Lion King and our second pair, Timon the meerkat and Pumbaa the warthog. Voiced in the 1994 film by Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella, respectively, they correspond to the characters of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern from Hamlet. They are WDW's safety mascots and have appeared in a number of safety shorts in which Pumbaa tries to educate Timon.

Are you Timon or Pumbaa? Here's a quiz for you to find out (link to ohmy.disney.com).

I got Pumbaa, but I was surprised. I thought I'd get Timon.

I have 40 new minutes from today (closing the pool) and 70 other assorted minutes (mostly walking) since my last post, for a new total of 280/600.

Congratulations to Shrfleen for being the first team member to reach Piglet Pink! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Piglet is Winnie the Pooh's best friend. He may be small and timid, but he has a huge heart. His voice was John Fiedler from 1968 until he died in 2005 (with the exception of Welcome to Pooh Corner, which was Phil Baron). Since Fiedler's death, Piglet's voice has been Travis Oates.

Piglet's house has a sign outside saying "Trespassers W". This sign does not refer to the obvious, however; according to Piglet, it was a name sign for his grandfather, Trespassers William, who previously owned the house.

Congratulations to Elizabeth Smith and to me for turning Piglet Pink!

Villains have sidekicks too. One of my favorites is Mr. Smee, Captain Hook's "left hand man" (in the film Peter Pan, he's not identified as the first mate, and in J.M. Barrie's novel, he's the bosun). Mr. Smee isn't the brightest bulb, but unlike his captain, at least he's genial. In Peter Pan, he was animated by Ollie Johnston, one of Disney's Nine Old Men. According to The Disney Wiki entry for Mr. Smee, Johnston once said that Smee was one of his favorite roles to animate because he wasn't just a lackey, but had a role in the story and was useful as a personality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!