Supply & Demand?!?!?!

TinkerKat

<font color=coral>The only thing that "I own" that
Is it just me? Or are the prices for Pins via Ebay and other sources ridiculously high?

I have two DS Millenium Pins I was holding for a future trade.

The Evil Queen
Piglet

Saw both on ebay the other night. Evil Queen was up to $48.00 and Piglet was at $18.00.

What is up with that? The market had been saturated with some of these pins?! Can someone shed light on this ? Is my head stuck in the sandbox?

I prefer to try to trade simply because buying has become soooo expensive. I pass up a lot of pins I'd love to get hoping that it will turn up later on a trade page.

Don't get me wrong, I love DisBoards and their fair rules!
I have pending purchase with the Lovely folks willing to "shop and sell at cost". But I gotta wonder....
If Supply can equal Demand... why so much money?

Ok, I'll step out of the sandbox!

Thanks for letting me Gripe! Kathy T.

I Don't think Ebay is a good tool to judge value of a pin. People like to engage in bidding wars and prices vary almost daily, even on the same day they can vary...

I agree.. We have vented several times on posts about the auction sites.

Many collectors justify paying those prices because they aren't traveling to the parks to get pins. But some wars can get flat outrageous! It only takes two bidders to drive the price sky high.

I have a maximum bid amount. I just bid the maximum I am willing to pay. That varies if I already have the pin and just want an extra tradable or if it is a holy grail. And then I say: "The heck with it, if I win it, great. If I do not, I'll find it sometime". And just sleep on it.

I feel this way because I have seriously lucked out quite a few times and got great pins for peanuts! It seems that some bidders get caught up in the frenzy and last minute race, ignoring the fact that there may be more of the same freaking pins closing later or on another site! I have sat and watched a pin close at over $100.00, and then I slowly won the same one days later paying less than $15.00

Just be careful, don't let it feed an adrenalin rush and you should be OK.

Wanda

I think maybe you should get to like the auction boards.

If you have those two pins to trade, that's great. But I think you'll find that many of the most active traders got the set, so they're less likely to give up a 'good' pin for one of them.

On the other hand, with the exposure given to the auctions sites, it's more likely that you'll find a few people who are looking for that pin. It only takes 2 to want the pin. And those particular pins are some of the few pins from the set that weren't available by the dozens after the event.

One of the best things I like about selling pins is that I can turn around and buy the pins I haven't been able to get in trade. I find that if I sell a pin on ebay, I often make enough to pay for a pin that I wasn't able to trade the same pin for. (I just have to tell myself, "it's pin money, it's pin money" and try not to wince.) If in that way I can trade one pin for another, rather than having to give up several pins, or do a lopsided deal, I'm happy to do so.

If you want to trade exclusively, that's your perogative. But I think you'll find there are many people who do both and their collections are the better for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter