SW and Early Bird Check-In

The seat saving is ridiculous. But, I am used to squeezing in a NY City train seat. If the person isn’t there- you are not saving it. Sorry.

Seems like you found an airline, JetBlue, that suits your needs. No need to keep complaining about ones that don’t.

So what purpose does EBCI provide if not a better seat position? Automatic check in?
Yes. It is called Early Bird Check In because it checks in passengers 36 hours prior to flight departure, instead of the DIY 24 hours.

That's all it is - a service which, for a fee, allows passengers to not be online right at the 24 hour mark but still get a boarding position.

Period, end, full stop.

Yea, I can manage that. They may not guarantee an early boarding position, but I just checked the website and they sell it as main reason to purchase it. Misleading in the least
Not misleading at all. The entire description states, "We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In® doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat." (bolding mine)

I’m following this because I’m flying with my 7 year old to Disneyland in Feb. I bought it for the flight home from SNA so I dont have to worry about checking us in at the 24 hour mark. Obviously, I’m hoping for A, but even to mid B, I feel pretty good we can get seats together. If not, oh well. For the flight there, we are flying into Ontario. I’m rolling the dice and checking us in. But if for some reason, we get low numbers, I’d bet we can find two middles and I’ll just sit behind her, no big deal. I just can’t imagine getting super in a tizzy about sitting a row or two away from her.

Except if she kicks. Then, please, sit in front of her :D
Lol we just did this to Hawaii. We sat in front of the kids (2 and 2) in case they kicked. At 7 and 8, they didn’t want to sit with us and we were like, score! They didn’t kick at all and then the couple in front of us reclined and made out half the flight 🤮. On the way back, we were like, alright, you didn’t kick us. Now sit in front of us and don’t recline. 🤣 They just read and watch movies, they’re super chill travelers.

But for this particular flight, since her brother isn’t there, I’d feel better being able to see her. And hopefully it all works out and we are together, but if not... it’s fine.

I just think that EB is becoming a waste of money in general. It seems as though many people buy it, so if the majority of people pay for it, not all will be As. To pay an extra $25 pp and not be guaranteed an early position is a waste of money. I dislike the whole system, from when it was first come first pick to this whole A, B, C positioning thing. I'd rather pick and know my seat ahead of time. Unfortunately, SW is one of only a few out of our local airport. Sigh. Now, they have gone and added this, well if you REALLY want a good seat, pay a real premium at the airport and get one of the unused A1-A15 seats. Highway robbery.
So what purpose does EBCI provide if not a better seat position? Automatic check in? Yea, I can manage that. They may not guarantee an early boarding position, but I just checked the website and they sell it as main reason to purchase it. Misleading in the least. My point was that if the majority of people buy it, only a few will benefit.

Yes, as PPs have pointed out, the only expressed purpose of Early Bird Check-In is to check you in at the 36 hour mark automatically. Take the name of it literally. Its geared towards people who cannot or will not be near a computer or smart phone at the 24 hour mark and want to be automatically checked in. For example, those on vacation at Disney World who don't want to watch the clock to check-in for their flight while on vacation. Or those vacationing in a remote area with no phone service. Or those with a 6am flight. There are a lot of people who this appeals to that benefit from the service.

A byproduct that many have enjoyed as a result of being checked in early is that their boarding position is ahead of those who don't check in early or those that check themselves in at the 24 hour mark. There is nothing that says an A position will be guaranteed. Its just that simply by the nature of how the product is designed, you will be ahead of those who do not purchase it. Nothing more, nothing less, and your boarding position will vary every time depending on how many people do purchase it.

Now, I don't disagree that with the recent price increases, the value of it can be called into question. You just have to decide if you want to be checked in early and board ahead of those who do not purchase it, or save your money and take your chances.

OP here. I thought I would report back on my conversation with Southwest Customer Service. I called the Dallas number and spoke directly with corporate customer service and got a wonderful representative. She confirmed that EBCI is not only awarded by the order in which it was was purchased but the 'anytime' fares will be placed before the 'wanna get away' fares which explains why several people in line who bought months after we did were before us in boarding order. She also confirmed that my husband most likely was pushed up to A21 because it opened up with a cancellation just as his EBCI position was being assigned.

We also witnessed egregious family boarding issues which I did not address in my original post. She acknowledged the problem (aka as free-for-all) in MCO and that SW was aware and looking to find some kind of solution. I told her that SW needs seat assignments for MCO flights - that is really the only solution for the mess that can be MCO boarding. She acknowledged that but also cautioned that SW 'does not like the seat assignment model'.

I didn't ask for, nor expected, anything but she surprised me by giving me a refund of my EB fee. I think she knew after looking at our flight info, that booking a flight and purchasing EBCI within an hour of the flights opening up and being in a 'B' boarding position, and then behind more than 60 'families' which essentially made me one of the last to board, was not how EBCI should have worked, in this case.

I will not be purchasing EBCI any more, it's just not worth $25 for just a position and no seat assignment. 90% of the time, I have no issues checking in at 24 hours. And I don't need to be at the front of the plane. And if I truly need to board first because I have a tight connection and need to be first off or somehow end up in the C boarding group, I will just purchase priority boarding at the gate for $40 - they are almost always available. And funnily enough, the rep indicated that that is the strategy that her family uses.

I didn't ask for, nor expected, anything but she surprised me by giving me a refund of my EB fee. I think she knew after looking at our flight info, that booking a flight and purchasing EBCI within an hour of the flights opening up and being in a 'B' boarding position, and then behind more than 60 'families' which essentially made me one of the last to board, was not how EBCI should have worked, in this case.
I would suspect the EBCI fee was refunded as a goodwill gesture in the name of customer service. EBCI worked exactly as intended by checking you in 36 hours in advance. Its unfortunate that you were so far back, which is not usually typical, but it was just the perfect series of events making it so in your case. But its not because EBCI functioned erroneously.

Regardless, thanks for coming back with the update and I'm glad they settled it to your satisfaction.

I will not be purchasing EBCI any more, it's just not worth $25 for just a position and no seat assignment.
It should only be purchased by those who find the $25 worth it to not have to worry about checking in 24 hours in advance. There is no other value-add because nothing else is guaranteed. As I mentioned up-thread, EBCI is ideal for those vacationing that don't know what they'll be doing 24 hours in advance of their return flight, those who won't have cell service, those who have early flights, etc.

OP, thanks for that customer service response. Just got back from our return flight, had exact same positions as flight down (41&42, 51&52) even though flight back was through BWI instead of TPA.

We fly out of Houston regularly. I cannot remember the last time EBCI gave us an A position. We almost always get B despite buying it months in advance. When we fly with kids, we just use family boarding because we still have one young enough to qualify.

OP, thanks for that customer service response. Just got back from our return flight, had exact same positions as flight down (41&42, 51&52) even though flight back was through BWI instead of TPA.
If you gamble, you should play those numbers!

Our flight out of phila is tomorrow. We booked June 9. Not sure when the booking window opened. We did buy EB, we got A 17 - A22. We have wanna get away level tickets.

Our flight out of phila is tomorrow. We booked June 9. Not sure when the booking window opened. We did buy EB, we got A 17 - A22. We have wanna get away level tickets.
That’s very nice. You should have your pick of seats if the flight originates in Philadelphia. A1 through A15 are usually not all used, since they require a premium ticket, high level frequent flyer status, or additional cost. We have seen only two or three slots used on some flights, both out of Chicago Midway and MCO.

That’s very nice. You should have your pick of seats if the flight originates in Philadelphia. A1 through A15 are usually not all used, since they require a premium ticket, high level frequent flyer status, or additional cost. We have seen only two or three slots used on some flights, both out of Chicago Midway and MCO.

But there may be some preboarding for medical reasons.

For SWA A1-A15 is for Business Select Fare or Upgraded Boarding. Nothing special to it but either paying for the higher fare or paying for the Upgraded Boarding at the gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter