SW and Early Bird Check-In

Are you not reading the part where I purchased EBCI, the day the fare was released???? For both of us! This is my whole point, I paid for EBCI so my child and I would be sitting together! I WAS ENTITLED BECAUSE I PAID FOR IT!!!! How is that difficult to understand?

The fact that you purchased EBCI doesn't entitle you to anything other than an automatic check-in at the 36 hour mark. It doesn't guarantee you a certain boarding position or that your boarding positions will be together for everyone in your party. PPs are correct that SWA policy, which is announced when the gate announcements are made, is that if your group does not having boarding positions together, everyone in your group can board together at the highest boarding position. If you have A36 and your child has B24, you're both free to board together at B24 because your boarding position has already passed. It would be unfair to those at positions A37-B23 if you both boarded together at A36 because its cutting the line. And since your child had B24 (in my example) and you paid for EBCI, that means those in A37-B23 also purchased EBCI. So why would you be entitled to anything more than they would be? Everyone is in the same boat.

If your child is under age 6, or whatever the gate agent designates for family boarding, you're both free to forfeit your boarding positions and board with family boarding which occurs between A group boarding and B group boarding.

If your point is that you're peeved your child was separated from you and further back when you purchased EBCI, you're free to discuss that with the gate agent. I doubt if they'd do anything for you, but that's a better option than taking matters into your own hands.

but other people were too; and this could have been the result of different internet connection speeds.
But the customer service agent I spoke to said it was based on type of fare purchased so that is not the case.

I just think that EB is becoming a waste of money in general. It seems as though many people buy it, so if the majority of people pay for it, not all will be As. To pay an extra $25 pp and not be guaranteed an early position is a waste of money. I dislike the whole system, from when it was first come first pick to this whole A, B, C positioning thing. I'd rather pick and know my seat ahead of time. Unfortunately, SW is one of only a few out of our local airport. Sigh. Now, they have gone and added this, well if you REALLY want a good seat, pay a real premium at the airport and get one of the unused A1-A15 seats. Highway robbery.

Are you not reading the part where I purchased EBCI, the day the fare was released???? For both of us! This is my whole point, I paid for EBCI so my child and I would be sitting together! I WAS ENTITLED BECAUSE I PAID FOR IT!!!! How is that difficult to understand?

As others have pointed out, buy EBCI does not guarantee you will get an "A" boarding position. They make multiple announcements at the gate that if your boarding numbers are not in order to board with the higher number. So to move back, not up in boarding position.

Or to just board separately.

Have to agree with OP and a couple of others there is more to the equation than how early the flight is booked. Fly SWA frequently and always book early and have never had a position higher than A30. Used my accumulated points for the first time for a two leg Tampa going on to Ft. Lauderdale flight and both legs are in the A50's for my wife and I.

For the people who said shame on me for taking my CHILD with me to board; if you read my post before becoming judgy you would have understood that I paid $25 per person, per flight at the same time to sit with, and BOARD WITH my child. There was no reason for the boarding positions to be over 20 numbers apart. Since this was a month after I paid for EBCI and wasn't checked in, yes I took my daughter with me when I boarded. Geez, I forgot for a second why I quit reading DisBoards. . .
You've already gotten feedback but for anyone else reading along from SWA's website:

"Can groups assigned to different boarding positions board together?"
Yes. However, in order to maintain the integrity of the boarding process, we ask that earlier boarding positions board with the later positions. For example, if a passenger is assigned position A16 and wants to board with a passenger assigned position A45, the passenger holding the A16 boarding pass should board with the A45 passenger."

This is the policy, paid EBCI or not (SWA does not distinguish between passengers who had paid or not paid for EBCI within their description). Understanding that this is what SWA states in their website, it would be up to gate agents to enforce and as with a variety of things the answer will be "it varies"

Best advice we can give is to go off of what their website states for others reading along.

We've not had consecutive Boarding positions when on the same reservation without EBCI. I'd expect it to be possible with purchasing EBCI.

I just think that EB is becoming a waste of money in general. It seems as though many people buy it, so if the majority of people pay for it, not all will be As. To pay an extra $25 pp and not be guaranteed an early position is a waste of money. I dislike the whole system, from when it was first come first pick to this whole A, B, C positioning thing. I'd rather pick and know my seat ahead of time. Unfortunately, SW is one of only a few out of our local airport. Sigh. Now, they have gone and added this, well if you REALLY want a good seat, pay a real premium at the airport and get one of the unused A1-A15 seats. Highway robbery.
Consider that there are only 45 positions in the A group available for A-listers, EBCI (along with those who purchased Anytime Fare and Wanna Get Away Fare) and non-EBCI from the get go (after removing Business Select).

When you really think about it that's not that many anyways. Doesn't take but a few groups of traveling parties to push someone further back in Boarding Positions.

Consider that there are only 45 positions in the A group available for A-listers, EBCI (along with those who purchased Anytime Fare and Wanna Get Away Fare) and non-EBCI from the get go (after removing Business Select).

When you really think about it that's not that many anyways. Doesn't take but a few groups of traveling parties to push someone further back in Boarding Positions.
Exactly. As the program has been around for a few years now, people know about it and more and more buy it as well. It took a while for people to really buy in, but now it’s popular. I know SW is popular, but the only place I fly them is Florida because they have direct flights from the airport 11 min from my home. Otherwise, I don’t have time for their shenanigans with the seat jockeying.

Exactly. As the program has been around for a few years now, people know about it and more and more buy it as well. It took a while for people to really buy in, but now it’s popular. I know SW is popular, but the only place I fly them is Florida because they have direct flights from the airport 11 min from my home. Otherwise, I don’t have time for their shenanigans with the seat jockeying.
We pretty much only fly SWA we don't really see seat issues but I know others for sure have so I understand not wanting that.

All airlines have their issues. With Delta we feel like the lowest peon having their CC lol because of all the Boarding Zones.

But I for sure get ya!

To pay an extra $25 pp and not be guaranteed an early position is a waste of money.
You were never, ever, ever guaranteed an early position. Ever. EBCI = Early Bird Check In. It's what the initials stand for.

Now, they have gone and added this, well if you REALLY want a good seat,
You can blame the entrepreneurs who were selling fast check-in on Southwest long before Southwest developed EBCI. They're the reason EBCI was created. People were paying for the service; why shouldn't SWA benefit?

But again, EBCI never offered a good seat! It did, does, and will likely always provide early check in - exactly as its name states.

All airlines have their issues. With Delta we feel like the lowest peon having their CC lol because of all the Boarding Zones.

But I for sure get ya!

Get t his--I flew on Delta with my sister and her family. She purchased the tickets. I was the only one to end up with a "C" boarding position. The rest of them had "A". Not a big deal that the only advantage A has is access to the overhead bin. And her husband was nice enough to take my bag on for me. Sis then stayed back with me. I didn't try to go thru at A and make a stink that as the tickets were bought at the same time I deserved to board with them.

Get t his--I flew on Delta with my sister and her family. She purchased the tickets. I was the only one to end up with a "C" boarding position. The rest of them had "A". Not a big deal that the only advantage A has is access to the overhead bin. And her husband was nice enough to take my bag on for me. Sis then stayed back with me. I didn't try to go thru at A and make a stink that as the tickets were bought at the same time I deserved to board with them.

Delta is outrageously bad with boring positions. Even with main cabin 1, you’re stuck boarding behind like six other groups. I agree with PP, makes you feel like a chump 😂

You were never, ever, ever guaranteed an early position. Ever. EBCI = Early Bird Check In. It's what the initials stand for.

You can blame the entrepreneurs who were selling fast check-in on Southwest long before Southwest developed EBCI. They're the reason EBCI was created. People were paying for the service; why shouldn't SWA benefit?

But again, EBCI never offered a good seat! It did, does, and will likely always provide early check in - exactly as its name states.
So what purpose does EBCI provide if not a better seat position? Automatic check in? Yea, I can manage that. They may not guarantee an early boarding position, but I just checked the website and they sell it as main reason to purchase it. Misleading in the least. My point was that if the majority of people buy it, only a few will benefit.

Last edited:
We pretty much only fly SWA we don't really see seat issues but I know others for sure have so I understand not wanting that.

But I for sure get ya!
My favorite airline is JetBlue. Haven’t had any issues and their customer service is fantastic.

Last edited:
So what purpose does EBCI provide if not a better seat position? Automatic check in? Yea, I can manage that. They may not guarantee an early boarding position, but I just checked the website and they sell it as main reason to purchase it. Misleading in the least. My point was that if the majority of people buy it, only a few will benefit.

The website also says you’re not guaranteed an A. Just that you’ll be checked in a full 12 hours before other people are. Seems pretty fair to me.

I've never used Jet Blue as my home airport doesn't have them but I've heard good things about them.
If you pay the extra fee for priority seating, you not only board first but you get extra legroom. Plus, TV in the seatbacks. You know where you are sitting and what you are getting ahead of time. This means that if you are traveling with children, there isn’t a question as to whether or not they will be seated next to you.

I agree, lots of people are paying extra for something, they shouldn't be stuck behind family boarding.
We are flying Jet Blue next trip because SW sells EBCI but does nothing about seat saving; why should I pay more for a better boarding position while other passengers have companions save seats for those further back in the line?
The seat saving is ridiculous. But, I am used to squeezing in a NY City train seat. If the person isn’t there- you are not saving it. Sorry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!