Sweet and Sour Bongkok Style Quail with Red Chiles

cbg1027

Florida Girl
So I don't know if this counts as a Disney recipe, but it's what I have to share. It's from Andrew Zimmern, he demonstrated making this dish at the Epcot F&W Festival. I thought it was really wonderful, but I haven't tried making it myself yet.

DSCN0286.jpg

He said that almost any type of protein works well with this dish - chicken, pork, fish, shellfish, tofu, etc. The only thing he advised against making it with is beef.

It was paired with Meeker FroZin wine, and I thought they really went well together.

Sweet and Sour Bangkok Style Quail with Red Chiles

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:
12 boneless whole whole quail
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tsp cinnamon
10 dried whole California or Mexican chiles (arbols or other long red thin chiles)
5 fresh red Thai chiles or 1 scotch bonnet/habanero chile
6 minced shallots
4 minced garlic cloves
4 stalks lemongrass, cleaned, trimmed, and minced
3 tbsp peanut oil
1 cup ketchup
2/3 cup white vinegar
5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 cup diced carrots, blanched and cooled
1 cup of cooked peas (frozen are fine)
40 fresh mint leaves

Method:
1. Toss the quail with the salt, turmeric, and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. Cut off and discard the chile stems and shake out the seeds.
3. Place the dried chiles in to a cup of boiling water to refresh for 10 minutes.
4. Drain and puree them with the fresh chiles, shallots, garlic, and lemon grass in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
5. Heat the peanut oil in a very large skillet or wok over high heat. Brown the quail and set aside.
6. Add the chile mixture to the pan and cook for 4 minutes until fragrant and mahogany colored. Add the quail back to the pan and cook, tossing, until they are all cooked thoroughly.
7. Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, remaining salt, and sugar.
8. Cook for several more minutes after the mixture has reached a boil in order to heat through and consolidate the flavors. Add the vegetables and mint towards the very end.
9. Toss and serve immediately with a side of steamed Thai sticky rice served at room temperature.

If you would like a few tips for the dish, here is a 3.5 minute video clip of Andrew Zimmern cooking it at the demo - http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h70/cbg1027/Nov Disney/?action=view&current=DSCN0284.flv

I've quoted your post & Copied it into the Disney recipe thread because others have posted recipes from Demos at the F&W Festival. Thanks so much for sharing this! :teeth:

I only made it to one demo at the welcome center and the Puglia demo so was hoping we would get people posting the recipes THEY got at demos. Thanks so much for sharing this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter