SWGE and HS EMM August 28th - Chance for soft opening?

LisaDKG

A little obsessed...
I am really shocked at the Aug 29th opening announcement, thinking that there was no way it would occur during our summer trip. But now I'm starting to get excited as our trip lasts until Aug. 31 and we will definitely try to at least see the land before we leave. I actually had booked a 7:30am EMM for HS on Wed. Aug. 28th. and now I'm wondering about soft openings or chance early views. I am thinking I remember there were no soft openings for Pandora - am I right about that? Will an Aug 28 EMM simply be status quo Toy Story Land and nothing more? Could guests visiting HS for the few days before SWGE opening be pixie dusted with views/rides? What does everyone think?

I can only speak of my experience the week before Toy Story Land opened. We left a week before the opening day and I have a friend who is a CM at HS. We were hoping for some sort of sneak peek or even a soft opening with no luck (though, granted, that was a full week vs. the one day you're asking about). I couldn't even get a FP for TSMM! Sadly my connection that day didn't work in our favor.

Maybe. Fantasyland had some random periods of previews in the days prior to opening. We got to experience ETwB, but TSL did not offer any previews.

Right now, WDW is not even confirming whether SWGE will even be available during EMM and DAH once it opens. It left that out of the FAQ, even when asked about it. But it did confirm that it will be available during regular EMH.

Q.
Will Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge be available in Extra Magic Hours, Disney Early Morning Magic or Disney After Hours?

A.
Valid theme park admission to Disney’s Hollywood Studios is required to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge after its opening on August 29, 2019. Capacity is limited. Additionally, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be available during Extra Magic Hours. During Extra Magic Hours Guests staying at select Walt Disney World Resort hotels can spend extra time at Disney’s Hollywood Studios enjoying select attractions. Details will be available at a later date on Disneyworld.com.

We were actually in Animal Kingdom the day before the “official” opening day for Pandora. It was like a normal rope drop, we were held at the Tree of Life getting ready to head to the Safari (so we were on the Pandora side). All of the sudden, a group of CMs walk out and ask if we are ready to see Pandora. After that, the group of people behind us grew exponentially. We were led slowly into Pandora. I believe they kept Pandora open for half of the day. As far as I know it was an unannounced soft opening.

We were actually in Animal Kingdom the day before the “official” opening day for Pandora. It was like a normal rope drop, we were held at the Tree of Life getting ready to head to the Safari (so we were on the Pandora side). All of the sudden, a group of CMs walk out and ask if we are ready to see Pandora. After that, the group of people behind us grew exponentially. We were led slowly into Pandora. I believe they kept Pandora open for half of the day. As far as I know it was an unannounced soft opening.

they did this for TSL too just came out and said they would open the land. there were rommer they would do this so I was just hanging out by the opening

Toy Story Land did indeed have a soft opening, the evening of June 29, 2018, the night before the official June 30, 2018 opening. It was "unannounced" but word spread like wildfire, and it was open to everyone.

ETA: Just checked to make sure my memory was correct, and yes, around 5:00 pm on June 29, the news spread that TSL would have a soft opening for everyone. This followed a media-only event earlier that day, soooo... maybe check to see if you can find out when SW:GE will be doing their media previews, and that might be the day for you to get a magical surprise!

Last edited:
Toy Story Land did indeed have a soft opening, the evening of June 29, 2018, the night before the official June 30, 2018 opening. It was "unannounced" but word spread like wildfire, and it was open to everyone.

ETA: Just checked to make sure my memory was correct, and yes, around 5:00 pm on June 30, the news spread that TSL would have a soft opening for everyone. This followed a media-only event earlier that day, soooo... maybe check to see if you can find out when SW:GE will be doing their media previews, and that might be the day for you to get a magical surprise!
I was there sitting outside the gate every 20 or so minutes a CM would come out and say there would be not soft opening and enjoy your day at the park it was raining some and I was tier so I just said under the cover talking to some other guest that where there then a manager came out and side they were indeed doing a soft opening

I was there sitting outside the gate every 20 or so minutes a CM would come out and say there would be not soft opening and enjoy your day at the park it was raining some and I was tier so I just said under the cover talking to some other guest that where there then a manager came out and side they were indeed doing a soft opening

That's SO great!! It was definitely super-rainy that day. Also I just noticed I typo'd once again; the soft opening was around 5:00 on June 29th, not 30th.

Hard to tell. They had soft openings for Pandora for AP holders and DVC members. My wife and daughter were there for it and loved it. It was very limited (you had to reserve ahead of time). Only few hundred people every 2 hours at most.

I hope so. The 28th is my birthday! It would be the ultimate birthday present from them to me! I mean, we already had a trip booked, already at BWI, so the perfect location. What more can they do but to open early, just for little ol me ;)

I'd let all y'all come too, don't worry :bday:

I'd love it if they opened on the evening of 8/28. I will be arriving that afternoon and plan on going to DHS right after getting to my room just in case it's open.
Then I'll need to go get some sleep in preparation for getting up extra early (you know 2am or so) to get in line for opening day. LOL

We where in Animal Kingdom a couple of weeks before Pandora opened, and where able to attend the Dvc preview. It was great!!! We had to make reservations ahead of time. I think the previews stared almost a month before the land opened

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter