SWGE RUMOR

I still think the reservation system was put into place solely because they knew they were getting close to "summer 2019", and ROTR wouldn't be ready in time. It was their way to keep the lands numbers in check until they thought it was ready....June 24th. IMO, that attractions status has been driving this whole thing the entire time (and obviously not wanting to lose out on $$). The whole "soft" or "phased" opening thing is cute and all, but I think its all because ROTR started to fall apart on its timeline. So, that being said, as we get closer to June 23rd, I would bet that the reservation windows will be extended until the end of summer or fall, when they have a better timeframe with ROTR.

I still think the reservation system was put into place solely because they knew they were getting close to "summer 2019", and ROTR wouldn't be ready in time. It was their way to keep the lands numbers in check until they thought it was ready....June 24th. IMO, that attractions status has been driving this whole thing the entire time (and obviously not wanting to lose out on $$). The whole "soft" or "phased" opening thing is cute and all, but I think its all because ROTR started to fall apart on its timeline. So, that being said, as we get closer to June 23rd, I would bet that the reservation windows will be extended until the end of summer or fall, when they have a better timeframe with ROTR.
They could always extend the reservation window - they could do anything for any number of reasons. But they are very clear that the reservation window will end June 24. The Galaxy's Edge site not only says the reservation window only lasts until June 23, it also explicitly states that reservations will no longer be required starting June 24. Why bother to be that explicit about it if there's even a small chance they'll extend it? Doesn't make sense.

Uh, no, that's not how people are. You have obviously never worked in a customer service/management role. :)

I was being sarcastic. I worked for years in my 20s as a waiter and I know very well people are @#$%^. But anyone who goes to Disneyland this summer should expect trouble. Many will leave dissappointed for various reasons but everyone knows very well what they are getting into. I personally think going this summer is a really bad idea.

Last edited:
I was being sarcastic. I worked for years in my 20s as a waiter and I know very well people are @#$%^. But anyone who goes to Disneyland this summer should expect trouble. Many will leave dissappointed for various reasons but everyone knows very well what they are getting into. I personally think going this summer is a really bad idea.

I was hoping you were being sarcastic.

I'll be there all summer, as always (it's not hard when you live 15 minutes away and have two kids to keep busy). I'm being very nonchalant about SW:GE. I want to see it. I want my husband, especially, to see it before he leaves the country for a year mid July. He has been waiting his whole life for this and he will see it, by golly! However, he is willing to put up with a lot of "stuff" to get the opportunity to do so. Me, not so much. If I get a reservation, great. If not, I'll just check it out eventually. My kids are neutral about it. We have a DAS, so will need to wait and see how they handle that regardless. My husband is willing to camp out on Harbor all night. He's that level of dedicated SW fan.

Would I plan a once in a lifetime Disneyland vacation for this summer? HECK NO!

Ugh! This is exactly what I've done. 1st week of June. Planned long before the opening dates announced. Always wanted to try disneyland and california. I planned in hopes that people were guessing right at a June 23 opening. Going to stay far away from GE but dreading the rest of the park will be a nightmare. What have I done?? Hubby says it will be ok. He has no clue. Lol

What? I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

the reservation period is a litmus test to see what they need to do to control stand-by lines outside of the SWGE entrance. On the day the reservations are open to book, if all three weeks is booked by the opening day, they have underestimated what the demand for the product. I am extrovert and have no problem to talking to folks dress in Disney and Star Wars attire, before SWGE it was questions about the crowding issues. Now I ask about their expectations for SWGE, with the Star Wars fans, they are planning really hard to have road trips to split the cost and to what extent they will join your husband and the 1,000s of other campers.

I have yet to hear of anyone on this site who has been interviewed by Disney about SWGE, but the random folks I talk to in the grocery style.....they feel as though they are the only ones visiting.

Ugh! This is exactly what I've done. 1st week of June. Planned long before the opening dates announced. Always wanted to try disneyland and california. I planned in hopes that people were guessing right at a June 23 opening. Going to stay far away from GE but dreading the rest of the park will be a nightmare. What have I done?? Hubby says it will be ok. He has no clue. Lol
More specifically, that some people were guessing right. Other people were guessing as early as Memorial Day weekend.

I really doubt that DLR will be "a nightmare". And with the reservation system during that time, that will make things much better than otherwise.

:wizard:

the reservation period is a litmus test to see what they need to do to control stand-by lines outside of the SWGE entrance. On the day the reservations are open to book, if all three weeks is booked by the opening day, they have underestimated what the demand for the product. I am extrovert and have no problem to talking to folks dress in Disney and Star Wars attire, before SWGE it was questions about the crowding issues. Now I ask about their expectations for SWGE, with the Star Wars fans, they are planning really hard to have road trips to split the cost and to what extent they will join your husband and the 1,000s of other campers.

I have yet to hear of anyone on this site who has been interviewed by Disney about SWGE, but the random folks I talk to in the grocery style.....they feel as though they are the only ones visiting.

They don't need to survey people. They know there will be huge demand. Bob Iger even said as much. He said they know they don't even have to market this land because of the huge anticipation surrounding it already.

Then what is even the point of the "reservation period?"
Well I don’t know how to explain that when I can’t explain decision A, B, and C.
Why did it take 15 months to redo a carousel? Why didn’t they do three rides? Why did they place Star Wars land in one of the worse geographical locations, where you have to walk through one of the already existing bottlenecks?
No seriously, I think they are trying to tamper things. But if there is room/space or people who no show since these reservations will cost nothing, why not allow a standby line in? Even on a hit or miss basis? Maybe a trial run here or there?
A lot of people will make reservations with no travel plans in place and then try to pull something together? I think there will be a few no shows.

Last edited:
A lot of people will make reservations with no travel plans in place and then try to pull something together? I think there will be a few no shows.
I'm not sure what you mean by "trying to tamper things" but one way to limit no-shows is to require having a ticket to get a reservation in the first place. Might not prevent every no-show, but should limit it to people who are willing to lose the cost of a ticket. You could still get AP no-shows, but my understanding is that APs will be limited to one reservation per AP during the 3 week reservation period, which solves that issue.

Also, it's still not known how one gets a reservation (other than having a room booked). Maybe you'll have to physically be there to get it, like a F! or WOC FastPass. That should also cut down on no-shows.

There's some question as to westsider's facts. I wouldn't be surprised on the reservation system, but I'm not sure about the RoR issues. Someone else on another forum said that the issues should be easy to resolve.
Yep! All just rampant speculation. One random internet person says RotR is horribly broken and may not be running until next year! Another random internet person says the issue is less dire than thought, and with 2 teams (DL and WDW) both working on it around the clock it should be resolved sooner than later. And then other random internet people go into lengthy what-ifs and pile rumor on rumor to try to figure out what the best approach is going to be when they visit in September. It's all too much!

Me too. I went alone 9 years ago, but we are all heading across country in June for everyone else’s first trip. My end-game is Yosemite and Sequoia, but we will be at DLR during the “reservation” window. We can only hope it keeps the insanity at bay. We are not worried about missing SWGE, but we ARE worried about being crowded out of everything else. Fingers crossed...

There's some question as to westsider's facts. I wouldn't be surprised on the reservation system, but I'm not sure about the RoR issues. Someone else on another forum said that the issues should be easy to resolve.

As a DLR CM, I can back up what Westsider is saying about ROTR. It's pretty bad, from what I have heard from multiple people, a November opening is even being a bit hopeful.

Yep! All just rampant speculation. One random internet person says RotR is horribly broken and may not be running until next year! Another random internet person says the issue is less dire than thought, and with 2 teams (DL and WDW) both working on it around the clock it should be resolved sooner than later. And then other random internet people go into lengthy what-ifs and pile rumor on rumor to try to figure out what the best approach is going to be when they visit in September. It's all too much!

This isn't "rampant speculation", you have actual CMs telling you what is going on.

This isn't "rampant speculation", you have actual CMs telling you what is going on.
Even if the CMs are in charge of the project, it’s all speculation until it opens. That’s what speculation means! (And what about the CM who said it’s not as bad as everyone is saying?)

Even in the original post, there are several opening times speculated: later this summer, D23, November, and Holiday.

CM speculation might be more informed than others, but that doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed to be accurate. Best to just wait patiently.

Last edited:
As a DLR CM, I can back up what Westsider is saying about ROTR. It's pretty bad, from what I have heard from multiple people, a November opening is even being a bit hopeful.
Ugh. Say it ain’t so. RotR is the main reason I’m interested in SWGE. Sounds like we might miss it this Summer. Still crossing my fingers for August though.

hope the ride is up by feb 27th next year>>> we're going for my husbands birthday (so he can see HM without the Christmas overlay again... my son's bday is oct and mines nov and we have gone many times but for Halloween and Christmas time it is just the best) but this trip is for hubs so were going way different times than normal and its all for his star wars stuff he is huge fan.

Okay, and then potentially angering those guests who then will complain "why did I pay $600 per night for this guaranteed reservation if you are just letting in people without them?"

That would go over well...
No. Hotel guests with reservations will see the standby line of hours to get into the land and will pat themselves on the back for paying the money to stay onsite.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with comments that this standby line will be put in place after June 23 when AP blackouts start. Disney have been quite clear that you will only be able to enter SW:GE with a no cost reservation. Disney always play their cards close to their chest and don’t tend to release such specific details until they are sure, they would be even more vague than they are been now.
I’m also wondering a little about this “early opening” and “last minute decision” stuff. There have been heavily reduces prices on tickets all ending on May 23rd this year. These have been available since last year so maybe they have always intended some sort of soft opening period toward the end of May.
They’re also opening on a Friday which most speculation said wouldn’t happen so as to not annoy locals and clog the i5 on a busy commuter day so who knows . . . . . . .
All the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter