Switch pass: still useable if over height requirement?

disneycountrygirl

Mouseketeer
Our 4 year old is over 44" so can ride FOP, but we aren't sure if it will be too intense for him.

Since he DOES meet the height requirement, can we still use the switch pass? The plan is that I would go first to scope out the intensity while hubby waits with him, then either they'd both go on or just hubby.

Would they allow that?

Yes, they should. I'm worried about my 7 year old and the bigger roller coasters.

Yes we've done this several times with RNRC. DD has been tall enough for a couple trips but has no interest.

Our 4 year old is over 44" so can ride FOP, but we aren't sure if it will be too intense for him.

Since he DOES meet the height requirement, can we still use the switch pass? The plan is that I would go first to scope out the intensity while hubby waits with him, then either they'd both go on or just hubby.

Would they allow that?

It’s at the discretion of the CM. I would not count on it.

I'm not sure if this is unusual but for SDMT i had my son who is tall enough but was scared. They said since he was tall enough that we all had to go in line and I would just ride when my husband and other son got off. I had never heard of that and I had already told the younger son we'd be riding something else while they are on SDMT so just said forget it. I didn't think it was fair to make the non-rider wait in line (a short FP line but still...) and was surprised they said this.

I'm not sure if this is unusual but for SDMT i had my son who is tall enough but was scared. They said since he was tall enough that we all had to go in line and I would just ride when my husband and other son got off. I had never heard of that and I had already told the younger son we'd be riding something else while they are on SDMT so just said forget it. I didn't think it was fair to make the non-rider wait in line (a short FP line but still...) and was surprised they said this.

I actually do think that's fair. Otherwise, people with multiple kids could game the system a bit.

It’s at the discretion of the CM. I would not count on it.

That is what I was afraid of. I am trying to figure out some other fail safe plan. Because if the CM says no, then someone in our party has to stay back with him, and that is no fun for the one adult who has to miss it and then go back and ride solo at some point. OR we risk the ride with DS, he is terrified, and that too would be no fun. Thankfully we do have FP for our entire party...in fact, we have 2 FOP FP+s with one of them being anytime FPs, so if anyone has any great ideas on how to make this work, I am all ears :-).

That is what I was afraid of. I am trying to figure out some other fail safe plan. Because if the CM says no, then someone in our party has to stay back with him, and that is no fun for the one adult who has to miss it and then go back and ride solo at some point. OR we risk the ride with DS, he is terrified, and that too would be no fun. Thankfully we do have FP for our entire party...in fact, we have 2 FOP FP+s with one of them being anytime FPs, so if anyone has any great ideas on how to make this work, I am all ears :-).

They should at least let you go through the line with him, and wait at the end to take turns riding.

As long as the kid is over the height limit, he can go through the line with you. They may make an exemption since the kid is under 7, but no one will know for sure. I would just have two plans. One where they give you the RS pass and 1 or you might have to take him through the line with you and then switch off after one person rides. Just let the CMs know as you go so they can direct you if you need to wait in a specific place.

As long as the kid is over the height limit, he can go through the line with you. They may make an exemption since the kid is under 7, but no one will know for sure. I would just have two plans. One where they give you the RS pass and 1 or you might have to take him through the line with you and then switch off after one person rides. Just let the CMs know as you go so they can direct you if you need to wait in a specific place.

That makes sense. If I give the "ok" for him to cause I think he can handle it, would they let them both on then since they would both have FPs in hand?

Probably if you let them know one of you wants to check to see if he can handle the ride.

Since all of you have FP, you or your husband could ride first and decide if he should ride. If so, then the other one and your DS could just go through the FP line. If you decide it is not for him, one of you could ride using his MB for a second FP ride. I would just plan on the first person going right at the start of the FP window. This way, the person waiting with your son can take their time and head closer to the attraction towards the end of the window or after the first person is off.

This! It's an ambiguous area with rules that are written inconsistently and applied inconsistently in this context. But with a 4 year old, I'd be very surprised if they didn't offer you the pass even if he is tall enough. That being said, the backup plan is good - go through the line. If he doesn't want to ride they'll likely have a way to accommodate you at that point.

They should at least let you go through the line with him, and wait at the end to take turns riding.

The issue is that for many/most rides they don't offload and load at the same spot. So where does the next rider wait and how do they know when the first rider is done, and how do they do the kid switch?

The issue is that for many/most rides they don't offload and load at the same spot. So where does the next rider wait and how do they know when the first rider is done, and how do they do the kid switch?

I was wondering the exact same thing. Anyone know how the loading is set up?

Last edited:
They aren't supposed to issue a rider switch pass if the child is tall enough to ride. In your situation, the standard procedure is for everyone to go through the line and have one adult stay in the loading area with the child and then switch off with the rest of the party after they've ridden.

I actually do think that's fair. Otherwise, people with multiple kids could game the system a bit.
I'm pretty sure she meant fair to the child, not that the rules are unfair, if that makes sense. I would also hate to make my child wait in a line when he gets nothing in return, although that doesn't mean I think the rule is "unfair" (I hate that word).

It's different with different rides, so you just have to follow the CM's instructions.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

On their own website it says "if guests in your party can't or don't want to board an attraction..."
The website is full of errors. This is one of them. Sort of.

There is a method of switching off (which has already been mentioned multiple times,) but they do not issue an actual pass if the child is tall enough to ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter