Switch pass: still useable if over height requirement?

I'm pretty sure she meant fair to the child, not that the rules are unfair, if that makes sense. I would also hate to make my child wait in a line when he gets nothing in return, although that doesn't mean I think the rule is "unfair" (I hate that word).
I think that if they really didn't want to make the child wait in line, then one adult could have skipped the ride as well and they could have done something else. In the scope of sacrifices you make for your child, that one seems pretty minor to me.

Our 4 year old is over 44" so can ride FOP, but we aren't sure if it will be too intense for him.

Since he DOES meet the height requirement, can we still use the switch pass? The plan is that I would go first to scope out the intensity while hubby waits with him, then either they'd both go on or just hubby.

Would they allow that?
Why can't you just do this with staggered FP+ times?

Why can't you just do this with staggered FP+ times?

They could, for sure, if the FP was available. For us, I'm worried that my son will ride one of the big roller coasters and then not want to get on any of the others. So we wouldn't necessarily be able to plan ahead.

They could, for sure, if the FP was available. For us, I'm worried that my son will ride one of the big roller coasters and then not want to get on any of the others. So we wouldn't necessarily be able to plan ahead.
Then make the FP+ for everyone in your party...some people ride at start of FP+ window and the other(s) get in FP+ line when those are done.
We did this for 7DMT once our twins were old enough.

So we had 2 adults, 3 children. The last day only 1 child wanted to ride.
At start of FP+ (even 5 minutes early), DH and DS-3 went through FP+ line. I waited with DD-3 and DS-10
Then DS-3 and I went through (DS-3 used other DS-10's magic band)

ETA: No Rider Switch needed, no children left unsupervised, no adult had to ride alone, no one not riding had to wait in line

I think that if they really didn't want to make the child wait in line, then one adult could have skipped the ride as well and they could have done something else. In the scope of sacrifices you make for your child, that one seems pretty minor to me.
Yes, I totally agree with that.

ETA: What I meant but didn't state was that I would not ride and stay with my child, rather than make him wait in line for a ride he couldn't/wouldn't ride.

DH and I aren't fond of riding alone. Unfortunately, our older son doesn't like coasters and our other too were too short for a lot of things on our last trips. So we just didn't ride some rides. It was still a fun trip!
We took previous trips when DH's favorite ride (Space Mountain) was down...we kind of just thought of it like that.

This passage has been cited countless times. It means nothing to the CM at the attraction.

I wonder if a person took a screen shot, printed it out, and kept it in their back pocket to pull out and ask to speak to a manager for reinforcement of Disney's policy, if that would work. Sounds overboard, but I had a very bad experience last time I was in Disneyland with a rider switch pass and a CM. It was the only business that ever actually made my break down crying right there in line. She was meaner than a hornet. I am beyond paranoid about rider switch passes now. It was so bad, I am not sure I will ever actually visit Disneyland again

I wonder if a person took a screen shot, printed it out, and kept it in their back pocket to pull out and ask to speak to a manager for reinforcement of Disney's policy, if that would work. Sounds overboard, but I had a very bad experience last time I was in Disneyland with a rider switch pass and a CM. It was the only business that ever actually made my break down crying right there in line. She was meaner than a hornet. I am beyond paranoid about rider switch passes now. It was so bad, I am not sure I will ever actually visit Disneyland again

Also mentioned many times here. I recommend going to Guest Relations in person with your concerns. The CMs at the attractions are just doing what they’re trained to do, including the supervisors.

DH and I aren't fond of riding alone. Unfortunately, our older son doesn't like coasters and our other too were too short for a lot of things on our last trips. So we just didn't ride some rides. It was still a fun trip!
We took previous trips when DH's favorite ride (Space Mountain) was down...we kind of just thought of it like that.
Children definitely changed the way we enjoy the parks. I love to travel with mine and see their excitement, so I don't mind it at all.

I did note that CM's were way more strict with the rider swap passes this time. Before they just handed them out no question, but everytime we got one this visit they wanted to see who was not riding (the child). Kind of annoying, but I get it.
That said, I'd ask for one, and explain the situation. Then just ask for a supervisor if need be. You'll get your pass with minimal hassle.

Then make the FP+ for everyone in your party...some people ride at start of FP+ window and the other(s) get in FP+ line when those are done.
We did this for 7DMT once our twins were old enough.

So we had 2 adults, 3 children. The last day only 1 child wanted to ride.
At start of FP+ (even 5 minutes early), DH and DS-3 went through FP+ line. I waited with DD-3 and DS-10
Then DS-3 and I went through (DS-3 used other DS-10's magic band)

ETA: No Rider Switch needed, no children left unsupervised, no adult had to ride alone, no one not riding had to wait in line

This was my ultimate end plan, but was wondering if there were other ways I might be overlooking. Sounds like no, not without the potential for SP drama, which I will avoid at any cost. This may be the best one though...just split our group of 7 into 2 groups, with the second group getting in the FP line after first gets off. It will consume more time this way and demands we get there right when the SP hour opens, but won't cause any issues.
What happens if the FP line is long enough that your FP timeslot expires while you are in line? I hear the FP line isn't as short as it used to be now that they opened up so many more.

FWIW, I agree that it would be unfair to allow people SPs when their child is over the required height, especially since they let you take others with you for the second party through. It is a gaming loophole for sure. I do appreciate that Disney does allow their CMs the grace to make exceptions to that rule without getting into trouble, but it's not a something I want to bank on and then have to deal with figuring out while the party is boarding.

That is what I was afraid of. I am trying to figure out some other fail safe plan. Because if the CM says no, then someone in our party has to stay back with him, and that is no fun for the one adult who has to miss it and then go back and ride solo at some point.

But that's how rider switch works - someone stays behind with the child who's too short to ride, then gets on the ride later with the switch pass while someone else waits with the child.

But that's how rider switch works - someone stays behind with the child who's too short to ride, then gets on the ride later with the switch pass while someone else waits with the child.

Unless the switch pass is denied because the child is over 44". The odds of that happening is what I was inquiring about cause if there is any chance at all it will be denied, we will go to plan B.....and based off the responses, that is just what we will do.

More than "a bit." They could actually book 6 fastpasses every day instead of 3.

People with babies and toddlers could do this too. If this is the concern, they should only allow the first rider into the FP queue if both parents have FPs for the ride. Otherwise the first parent should wait in the regular line and the second can go in the FP line (as this was originally intended so the second parent did not have wait through the longer line making it double waiting for them to do the ride). This way they would not have double fastpasses and could allow parents with taller children to use the rider switch without having to ride alone. (I believe they let someone else go with you? I've never used it myself.)

It's different with different rides, so you just have to follow the CM's instructions.

The website is full of errors. This is one of them. Sort of.

There is a method of switching off (which has already been mentioned multiple times,) but they do not issue an actual pass if the child is tall enough to ride.

They have for us many times. We just tell them she doesn't want to ride. We are not trying to game anything. She really truly does not want to ride RNRC or Tot. We get swaps for both and she's tall enough for both.

I suppose. We've never had an issue though.

I've been refused with an obviously disabled DS who could not ride.

On the ground CMs have the final word, so it's best to have a plan in case the switch pass is not given.

For us, I sit out and don't ride. I use his/my FP+ on something else.

I've been refused with an obviously disabled DS who could not ride.

On the ground CMs have the final word, so it's best to have a plan in case the switch pass is not given.

For us, I sit out and don't ride. I use his/my FP+ on something else.

I'm very sorry to hear that happened to you. I would have been very upset in your shoes. Did you complain to guest relations? What did they say/do? I definitely would have had their own website displayed on my phone when I walked in there.

If they want to change their policy, they are free to do so. But until then, they should honor it as posted. I wonder why there is a disconnect?

In my case we were denied a RS pass on TOT for a 4 yo child who was barely 40, we were offered some type of internal switch but my nephew was to afraid to even wait in the line. Since I don't really like TOT much I just took him for ice cream while the rest of our party rode.

We did visit Guest Relations - not so much to complain but to clarify so that we could proceed the rest of the vacation with good information and GR backed up the TOT CM. Their stance was that when a family can not ride together because of an imposed restriction (height) then RS was offered to avoid a double wait for the family and so that the 2nd adult didn't have to ride alone. Since my nephew could ride but chose not to then RS was not an option.

Not looking to debate - just sharing our first hand experience. I have read the reports of people that are able to get a RS pass with a child who can ride but chooses not to but - honestly based on our experience I wouldn't count on it. I would make FP+ choices based on not being able get the RS pass if the child is tall enough, then if you do get one consider it a bonus/pixie dust...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts