T-shirt making for dummies!UPDATE PICS in #77

the hubby got many comments on this design!!It reads -Prince Charming...maybe.Daddy to 2 princesses...definitely!

Lisa-upnorth,

Love your shirts. It looks like you have prince charming on a white block on a blue t-shirt. How did you get it to transfer white? I have read in a few places that white does not transfer.

Not sure where I picked it up, but I have a white mickey head outlined in pink with very subtle pink and purple butterflies, I have some shaded deep pink text inside the mickey head. I wanted to print it on a deep pink t-shirt. Now I am confused whether the mickey head will print white or not.

I ordered AmyMickey transfers, but I have not received them yet. Thanks for any advice! :thumbsup2

sweety-you are good to take note of that!Dark shirt transfers for any shirt that is not white will be how you get the white 'box' outline.The transfer is 8X11 so you do not need to have that large of a white box around your design if it is smaller-just trim it!If I had used a light transfer everywhere you see white would have been the same color as the shirt(blue).

Thanks for the tips.

Your post is making me believe I can do this. I'm just waiting to get my designs and give it a try.

I'm glad to hear I can get the transfers at Staples.

First off, I am another newbie and I can't thank you enough for all of the tips.

I am planning for a Spring trip and I am making 4 different shirts for each of 12 people (yeah, I like to take too much on).

Lisa-upnorth - you posted something that I hadn't read before. If I use the light color transfers on a colored shirt, the white doesn't show? Is that correct? What colors ot t-shirts can I use light color transfers for?

I have bought transfers from Amy as I read that those were the best but it sounds like they are the best when I have white in my design.

Thanks to everyone, any help would be appreciated.
April

it is my understanding that light shirt transfers are for white shirts-unless you have no white in the design maybe:confused3 Meaning, that everywhere there is white in the design would be the color of your shirt.So, if you have no white at all you might want to try it.I will search around and try to confirm this.I only used light transfers on white.

found this from a posting=

If putting design on a white shirt - you can use either light or dark transfers; On any other color shirt - use dark transfers or else ALL white areas of the design will be the shirt color.
- Dark transfers tend to have more vibrant colors and are more of a matte finish and light transfers are more shiny.

I would not use light transfers on anything but white.Almost all designs have some white in them.You can run out and get some dark transfers at Staples if you need them fast.Package has 5 transfers in it.Hope this helps:thumbsup2

Thank you so much, that is very helpful information. I will make sure and only use the light for white t-shirts and the dark for all other colors.

Now, can I ask you about 2 of your t-shirts in your picture?

First, the black t-shirt with the Mickey Head and "crown." Was that something you printed and ironed-on? If so, how did you get the white out of the middle?

Second, on your mermaid shirt with the bubbles on the bottom right of the picture did you cut around every image so as not to have white in the middle of the mermaids?

Sorry if this is too detailed questions, I am just dying to learn how to make such beautiful shirts!
April

Thank you so much, that is very helpful information. I will make sure and only use the light for white t-shirts and the dark for all other colors.

Now, can I ask you about 2 of your t-shirts in your picture?

First, the black t-shirt with the Mickey Head and "crown." Was that something you printed and ironed-on? If so, how did you get the white out of the middle?

Second, on your mermaid shirt with the bubbles on the bottom right of the picture did you cut around every image so as not to have white in the middle of the mermaids?

Sorry if this is too detailed questions, I am just dying to learn how to make such beautiful shirts!
April

You would ask about the 2 I didn't make:rolleyes:
Joking aside-you are correct in your thinking-if I had made the black top with mickey head/crown I would have had white inside and around design-unless I trimmed it all out which would have been VERY hard to do!I would not advise it.
The mermaid shirt was store bought.Looks hand painted.

Your questions show that you are thinking correctly:woohoo:These shirts would not look this way had they been made with the transfers.
Have fun making your tops-you CAN do it!!!:wizard:

Lisa Up-North, thanks again for you updated answers. I didn't mean to pick out the two you didn't do, oops:rolleyes1!

I was just trying to pick the ones I couldn't quite figure out how you did. I am so excited to get started on my own shirts and I really appreciate you explaining this all to me!:worship::thanks:

I just found this thread and I can't thanka you enough. I have never made a t-shirt before but had planned to make two for my upcoming cruise for me and my friend. I just bought the fabric transfers and shirts (which I'm glad to learn that I bought the right things), but I have been very nervous about starting this project because I am not very crafty. This thread and detailed directions have eased some of my fears so I just wanted to thank you for putting it out there and I am looking foward to making my first shirts.

Its my first time attempting to make the shirts. I was wondering, what are the dark transfers for? Do you us them if you are making it on a dark shirt. I didn't realize they was a difference. Thanks for any info.:confused3

What if you are using a light pink shirt and there is white in the design but I do want the pink the show through. I would want to use the light transfer paper, right?

gretchen-see post #46 above

Tammy-yes, you are correct.If you want all of the areas that would have been white to be pink than use the light transfer.Remember-if you have someone's eye in the design they will be pink.

Thanks Lisa. That's what I thought. I will keep in mind about the eyes.
I just bought my t-shirts and transfer paper today. So, if I have any other questions I'll be back.

Awesome info! I just found the DISign board and well, I've been going a little crazy saving so many amazing designs. I bought my transfers today. I got the light ones but thanks to your info, I'm going to have to go get some dark ones. I'm really glad you posted about the differences because I didn't know and probably would have messed one up but luckily I haven't done any yet. Thanks again for taking the time to help us newbies out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter