Take my 82 year old dad to Epcot for flower and garden?? Yes or no??

kathy884

DIS Veteran
Normally the only park my dad does in Orlando is SeaWorld. He likes the beautiful landscaping, shows, and ease of renting a scooter and getting around.

We are going to a family wedding next March and I saw that Flower and Garden is going at Epcot. Do you think maybe this would be fun for him too? He doesn't like to get in and out of cramped little cars -- Is a slender 6 ft. 2. He has mobility issues too -- can walk a little, but can't wait in line -- has handicapped sticker and would rent scooter in the park. He likes gardening and botanical gardens. // Also if Epcot sounds like something he might enjoy, are there any attractions we should hit or would it be best do you think in his case to just explore the garden exhibits and country exhibits. If there are certain attractions you think would be worth doing and work for him, if you could list those that would be great. Test Track would be a no for sure. I'm not sure about soaring. I think he did that before when he was younger a few decades ago, so he could probably make a decision on that. With your other suggestions, I could maybe look on utube and see what he thinks.

Also, what about crowds. That is Mardi Gras and I hear many escape from New Orleans to Disney. With a scooter it is difficult with really heavy crowds. Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

I would vote yes. I think he would really enjoy looking at the various topiaries and gardens. In terms of attractions, I would suggest Living with the Land (slow boat ride seated; I think his scooter could also be pulled on to the boat), which takes you through the Land gardens, etc. He may or may not like Soarin; I am less sure about that. But definitely plan to spend time looking at the various Flower & Garden exhibits and seeing the Land pavilion. Enjoy!

If he likes landscaping, then Flower & Garden time would be the absolutely best time for him to go to Epcot. It’s beautiful! And now they’ve added food booths similar to F&W. In addition to Soarin’ I’d suggest Living With the Land. And check the entertainment schedule (quite a variety of shows).

Thanks so much. It sounds like it would be worth trying / checking out, that Flower and Garden is that nice. I wouldn't even consider it if it weren't for that And Living with the Land, I know he would love. I couldn't think of the name of that. I went to Epcot with him back in the 80s when I was in college along time ago, and I remember our both loving that. I'll definitely check out the entertainment schedule too.

I love Epcot during the Flower and Garden festival! It's so pretty! I bet that he could see all of the movies pretty easily right from his scooter. He should be able to do a couple of the water rides (Living with the Land and Mexico). Sorry, I don't remember if he has to transfer. I would skip everything else ... either too fast or too small or both ;).

So helpful. Thanks all. Good to know to skip most of the attractions with the exception of the water rides and to enjoy the pretty displays, pavilions, and movies. Sounds perfect and like a totally lovely relaxing day to do with my dad. First time I won't be scrambling to get fastpasses at a Disney park lol.

Spaceship Earth might be accessible to him standby, but they also have ADA vehicles I believe if you wanted to check that out too!

I think you would go to the exit and a CM would help you. If it's super busy, they might give you a return time.

SpaceshipEarth1_ADA_car.jpg

These are the ADA vehicles for SE.

I’d also consider the Seas pavilion (enter through the gift shop). Obviously not as much there as at Sea World (in its entirety) but Turtle Talk With Crush is a hoot!

I vote yes! I'm just back from taking my 84 yr old aunt and 73 yr old mom who both have mobility issues and were in rented scooters! We did Soarin, living with the land, Figment, Spaceship Earth, the short films! Then toured the world taking in the flower & garden, butterflies etc! They had a great time!

Great advice here OP!!
I want to take my dad to a Park so bad!! So envious OP
enjoy every second!!!

Aww I would!! Our upcoming trip is mostly for my 76-year-old Dad. I did take him in the past to the food and wine festival and he didn’t eat a lot but he always loves Epcot.

Normally the only park my dad does in Orlando is SeaWorld. He likes the beautiful landscaping, shows, and ease of renting a scooter and getting around.

We are going to a family wedding next March and I saw that Flower and Garden is going at Epcot. Do you think maybe this would be fun for him too?

Absolutely! We just got back from a trip to see the Flower and Garden Festival and we met up with a friend of my mom's who is about to turn 84. Had the best time. He is pretty mobile, and didn't need a scooter, but we just took our time and took several breaks around the way to get off our feet and have a meal/snack/beverage. We only rode Soarin' and Living with the Land (both in the evening), but the focus was really on looking at the gardens and enjoying each other's company.

Attractions he can probably do are Living with the Land, the boat ride in Mexico, and Nemo. Those three he can transfer to a wheelchair to ride. A CM will tell you where the transfer will occur. There are some fish/dolphin/manatee exhibits in the building where Nemo is located.

He should be able to do Journey into Imagination- I don’t know if he would need to transfer, but the cars are easy to get in and have lots of leg room. There’s a 3D film next to Imagination as well. Spaceship Earth has very little leg room and travels backwards at a steep incline for several minutes, so that may not be a good one.

The mime in Italy (Sergio) and the French servers acts are excellent. The Chinese gymnasts are pretty good. There’s several music acts; whether you like them depends on your taste in music. The Voices of Liberty are amazing.

Be sure to pick up a map, as all the topiaries and gardens are listed on it.

As the month of March goes on, the crowds will build as colleges and some school districts start to have spring breaks. It shouldn’t be horrible as Easter isn’t until April 21. There is no slow time.

Epcot seems to be a favorite of older people, especially during the Flower festival. With a focus on edutainment instead of rides, most of the park can be experienced by everyone, regardless of physical abilities.

I think Epcot would be fine.

Soarin' has changed their movie; so, I think that would be a good one to do. You can take the scooter all the way to the ride. It's parked off to the side not too far away. The one awkward thing in the Land Pavillon is you need to use an elevator if you want to stay on the scooter. The same is true to see the Living with the Land boat ride. Worse to worse maybe you could manuever the scooter on and off the elevator for him.

Mexico has a boat ride and Norway, too. The Norway one is very popular; so, you will have to see if you can get a FP for it. It's called Frozen Ever After. There are movies in WS.

There's a lot of street live entertainment throughout World Showcase that he should enjoy.

Innoventions in FW should be okay, too.

We just went this past April with my dear, 74 year-old mom and she loves it. She loves LWTL and Soarin, but won't go on TT. She just likes walking around WS and looking at the flowers and topiaries. This was our first trip that I noticed she was having a hard time keeping up and got tired more easily, but she walked the whole time. I tried convincing her to rent a scooter but she wouldn't. I think by 82, she will definitely need to though.

We are going to a family wedding next March and I saw that Flower and Garden is going at Epcot. Do you think maybe this would be fun for him too? He doesn't like to get in and out of cramped little cars -- Is a slender 6 ft. 2. He has mobility issues too -- can walk a little, but can't wait in line -- has handicapped sticker and would rent scooter in the park. He likes gardening and botanical gardens. // Also if Epcot sounds like something he might enjoy, are there any attractions we should hit or would it be best do you think in his case to just explore the garden exhibits and country exhibits. If there are certain attractions you think would be worth doing and work for him, if you could list those that would be great. Test Track would be a no for sure. I'm not sure about soaring. I think he did that before when he was younger a few decades ago, so he could probably make a decision on that. With your other suggestions, I could maybe look on utube and see what he thinks.

Also, what about crowds. That is Mardi Gras and I hear many escape from New Orleans to Disney. With a scooter it is difficult with really heavy crowds. Anyway, let me know your thoughts.
Yes, I recommend Flower & Garden to anyone with an interest in landscaping. Living with the Land is a must, and I also recommend the Behind the Seeds Tour that takes you to the backstage area of Living with the Land (this tour requires reservations and has a reasonable extra cost).

Maybe breakfast at Garden Grill, too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter