Taking a first timer

Pdollar88

DIS Veteran
Hi all! I’ve been posting over the last few months about taking my bf on his first Disney trip. Since he’s not a Disney fan, I’ve gotten some great advice on here how to tailor the trip to him.

My latest question - in one of our lengthy breaks, or after heading back to the room at night, do you think it would be terrible to venture into a park solo? I don’t want to wear him out or expose him to characters, but I’d like to do some additional things or meet/greets while he’s resting.

I’m thinking of Epcot because I can just walk over from Yacht Club. Or after AK closes and he goes back to the hotel, I head to MK for some EMH time.

Thoughts or experience appreciated!

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s terrible to venture out on your own but I will say that his feelings on Disney might change after actually visiting the parks with you. My husband was pretty anti-Disney when we met and after going to Disney with me the first time, he was hooked. We are from central Florida so he had even gone in the past but going with someone who truly loves Disney changed how he views it and he’s just as addicted as me. So make your plans and let him know that there’s no pressure to come along if he’s done for the day.

I don’t think it’s terrible to venture out on your own but I will say that his feelings on Disney might change after actually visiting the parks with you. My husband was pretty anti-Disney when we met and after going to Disney with me the first time, he was hooked.

I'm soooooo hopeful this happens for my bf. Fingers crossed.

So make your plans and let him know that there’s no pressure to come along if he’s done for the day.

That's exactly what I'm doing, so that makes me feel a bit better! I told him when he agreed to go that he doesn't have to do every last thing. So I'll reiterate that I'm going to go do additional things, but there's no pressure to go if he just wants to rest at the hotel.

I appreciate your input and experience!

I'd say go for it! When my parents and I went on our last trip, we made a deal early on that we were not obligated to stay together the entire time and we often split up or went to the park at entirely different times. And it worked out great; my parents got more of the relaxation they wanted while I was able to hit the ground running.

Spending time with your loved ones at Disney is great but Disney by yourself can be pretty awesome too. ;)

The advice I would give is to not assume up front that he won't enjoy certain things. My husband and I recently went for our first time--I'd NEVER been and he went to Epcot for an afternoon once during a business conference. I planned the whole thing and he kind of went along because he likes me to be able to do things I want to and knows I would rather do them together. We spent a week, did EMH every day, rope dropped one park, closed another every day. He loved it--all of it (and no one was more surprised than he was). We have two more trips planned--partly because he insists that, at the very least, we'll have to go back when Star Wars land opens.

With respect to M&Gs, obviously don't force anyone to do something they refuse to do, but in my opinion you should always take it with a grain of salt whenever anyone says they don't enjoy something they've never done. When my husband found out that I wanted to meet the characters his reaction was a mixture of horror and outright disbelief, not only could he not believe I wanted him to do this thing, he couldn't even believe I wanted to do such a thing. Until he actually tried it--and you know which pictures ended up on his Facebook page and which experiences he can't stop talking about, right? The character interactions ended up being a real high point for him.

I would suggest you try to at least let him sample the whole experience--and don't downplay how much you enjoy it or what you're excited about. My husband said that one of the things he really enjoyed was just to sit back and watch my joy at the whole thing! I hope your trip is amazing!

Invite him for everything and you may be surprised. I was when DH and I went the first time. He was DBF of a whopping 1 year at the time. Now he says he wouldn't mind spending a month at WDW if we ever had the money.

The advice I would give is to not assume up front that he won't enjoy certain things. My husband and I recently went for our first time--I'd NEVER been and he went to Epcot for an afternoon once during a business conference. I planned the whole thing and he kind of went along because he likes me to be able to do things I want to and knows I would rather do them together. We spent a week, did EMH every day, rope dropped one park, closed another every day. He loved it--all of it (and no one was more surprised than he was). We have two more trips planned--partly because he insists that, at the very least, we'll have to go back when Star Wars land opens.

With respect to M&Gs, obviously don't force anyone to do something they refuse to do, but in my opinion you should always take it with a grain of salt whenever anyone says they don't enjoy something they've never done. When my husband found out that I wanted to meet the characters his reaction was a mixture of horror and outright disbelief, not only could he not believe I wanted him to do this thing, he couldn't even believe I wanted to do such a thing. Until he actually tried it--and you know which pictures ended up on his Facebook page and which experiences he can't stop talking about, right? The character interactions ended up being a real high point for him.

I would suggest you try to at least let him sample the whole experience--and don't downplay how much you enjoy it or what you're excited about. My husband said that one of the things he really enjoyed was just to sit back and watch my joy at the whole thing! I hope your trip is amazing!

This sounds like my bf to a t! He’s said that he’s excited to go because I’m so excited. So I won’t rule anything out, and I’ll give him the opportunity to try every experience I have planned! Thank you :)

Invite him for everything and you may be surprised. I was when DH and I went the first time. He was DBF of a whopping 1 year at the time. Now he says he wouldn't mind spending a month at WDW if we ever had the money.

Love this! I think he’s going to like everything more than he thinks.

My husband does this with me! I fall asleep a lot earlier than him usually, so we'll go back to the resort and he'll leave as I am getting into bed. It doesn't happen too much now that we have kids, though.

My husband isn’t a big fan of WDW but he goes because he knows I am. Our last couple trips I’ve left him in the room after dinner and walked into Epcot or HS but we have been married 26 years and understand each other. I almost think when you plan a trip with a first timer you have made a commitment to make sure they have a good time. The last thing you want to do is have them tell you they don’t want to come back. Not that you shouldn’t enjoy your vacation but everyone handles things like the heat, weather and crowds different. Just make sure he is always drinking water and snacking, people get tired and cranky when they are dehydrated and hungry and that can ruin a day.

My husband isn’t a big fan of WDW but he goes because he knows I am. Our last couple trips I’ve left him in the room after dinner and walked into Epcot or HS but we have been married 26 years and understand each other. I almost think when you plan a trip with a first timer you have made a commitment to make sure they have a good time. The last thing you want to do is have them tell you they don’t want to come back. Not that you shouldn’t enjoy your vacation but everyone handles things like the heat, weather and crowds different. Just make sure he is always drinking water and snacking, people get tired and cranky when they are dehydrated and hungry and that can ruin a day.

He’s bad to not take care of things like that just being at home. So I’m definitely going to make sure he stays hydrated and fed. And not run ragged (hence my 3-4 hour breaks at midday). :)

Some have already mentioned this but it’s very possible his perception will change after he gets there. Dh and I went for our honeymoon (he was very reluctant because it didn’t seem “romantic”). We had an amazing time and are going back this year for the 3rd year in a row! He doesn’t like admitting it much to other people but I’ve seen his face when he is there and after we get home he talks for like a week about how he wishes he was back.

My DH went on his first trip to Disney kicking and screaming!!! In his words, “ why on earth would I want to go see Mickey Mouse?” Now he is just a big kid and is as excited as I am planning a Disney trip. That being said, I do have to tailor it to something more his style. He is an outdoorsman so we stay at FT wilderness and by 3 pm he is done in the parks for the day. He is perfectly happy drinking a beer and watching tv while we go back to the park for a few hours in the evening. Good luck and I hope you both have an awesome time

Hi all! I’ve been posting over the last few months about taking my bf on his first Disney trip. Since he’s not a Disney fan, I’ve gotten some great advice on here how to tailor the trip to him.

My latest question - in one of our lengthy breaks, or after heading back to the room at night, do you think it would be terrible to venture into a park solo?

Here's hoping he turns the corner! I will say, though, that if you want him to really enjoy this trip and have fond memories and associations, you could maybe plan something a little more special for nighttimes that doesn't involve leaving him. ;-)

Here's hoping he turns the corner! I will say, though, that if you want him to really enjoy this trip and have fond memories and associations, you could maybe plan something a little more special for nighttimes that doesn't involve leaving him. ;-)

That’s fair! I’ve gone pretty “no holds barred” for nice dinner ADRs, and we’ll be viewing all the nighttime spectaculars together.

The only night I thought about leaving him was for EMH at Magic Kingdom, after we’ve eaten at Yachtsman and viewed ROL. We’re already doing a full day there and a DAH day, so I doubt he’s want to do that. Any other time I *might* leave him at the hotel would be during our lengthy afternoon breaks as I stroll into Epcot.

I hope and think I’ve got enough special experiences planned. I just don’t know how I’ll handle rest times from the parks — but maybe I’ll need those breaks and will enjoy that too!

Last edited:
I think you have a good balance. Don’t completely change how you do Disney based on how you think he will react. I assume this will be the first of many trips and if you are missing out of things you want to do every time, you might not enjoy your vacation as much.

That’s fair! I’ve gone pretty “no holds barred” for nice dinner ADRs, and we’ll be viewing all the nighttime spectaculars together.

The only night I thought about leaving him was for EMH at Magic Kingdom, after we’ve eaten at Yachtsman and viewed ROL. We’re already doing a full day there and a DAH day, so I doubt he’s want to do that. Any other time I *might* leave him at the hotel would be during our lengthy afternoon breaks as I stroll into Epcot.

I hope and think I’ve got enough special experiences planned. I just don’t know how I’ll handle rest times from the parks — but maybe I’ll need those breaks and will enjoy that too!

I don't think this was what EdmondD had in mind when he said "something special for nighttimes"

I think this can depend on endurance. I could be in the park for 12 hours, no problem. With hubby it's an average of 6-7 hours.

I wouldn't exclude your bf; I would be informative with your intentions.

I wouldn't leave your bf every night, but a few times might be all right.

My DH wasn't anti-Disney, but he didn't love Disney when we first met. He thought it was ok, but not something he had to do every year or even every few years. I think he had been twice as a kid to WDW. We met and went to WDW over spring break in law school and he LOVED it. We have been married 10 years and are DVC members. These days I think he LOVES it more than me. He is the one who is anxious to plan our next trip. You never know....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter