Taking Boyfriend to Disney, He's nervous its going to be boring

TaylorLaine

Earning My Ears
Hello, friends, I am anticipating taking my boyfriend with me to Disney next May. We will be going with my parents and my sister as a college graduation present for myself. Growing up going to Disney I know we're going to have a ton of fun but my boyfriend hasn't been since he was two and he's not that excited because he doesn't think there are a lot of "adult" things to do there. Could anyone suggest to me some fun things we can do so I can make sure he has the best time possible?

I would personally emphasize making sure you do 'rope drop' and ride some of the relatively thrilling attractions first thing. I'm sure you know what they are!!

This can set a good pace for the day. For our family, we typically do one park in the morning, afternoon break, and then an ADR for dinner and different park in the evening. This keeps us moving without causing too much stress. Also, with the day broken up, I cannot imagine one getting bored.

I am not personally a Disney Springs fan, however there are supposed to be some really cool bars and things there now! Maybe something to look into.

I am 65 years old and I don't understand the comment "not enough adult things to do". I go to WDW for the expressed pleasure of becoming a kid again. If I want to do adult things I will stay at home, go to work, pay my taxes, etc. BORING. There are plenty of activities that he will enjoy as far as rides are concerned. There are also the shows, character meetings, parades, fireworks - oops, I'm getting into the "it makes me fell young" stuff. Don't woryy. He'll love it.

He is probably thinking it is all Magic Kingdom. Soarin and Test Track at Epcot are a must, at Hollywood Studios, you have Rock n Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Tower of Terror, and Indiana Jones, plus the Star Wars fireworks. Animal Kingdom has Pandora, Expidition Everest, the Safari, and Kali River Rapids. He won’t get bored, believe me. I went to Disney for the first time in my 30s and love it.

He is probably thinking it is all Magic Kingdom. Soarin and Test Track at Epcot are a must, at Hollywood Studios, you have Rock n Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Tower of Terror, and Indiana Jones, plus the Star Wars fireworks. Animal Kingdom has Pandora, Expidition Everest, the Safari, and Kali River Rapids. He won’t get bored, believe me. I went to Disney for the first time in my 30s and love it.

I totally agree!! I might recommend avoiding MK for the first few days, since that is probably the most sentimental and stereotypical Disney of the parks.

We have heard this from my son's girlfriends, through the years we have taken one of his girlfriends and his then wife and both of them were surprised and when it came time to leave were asking when they could come back. My son is 37 years old and has been going since he was just shy of 3, he will tell anyone that he enjoys it more now as an adult than he ever did as a child. We don't spend a lot of time at MK, maybe 3 hours one day and hop back for a couple of hours on another night but we spend park of every single day at Epcot, especially during F&G. We aren't ride centric any more but he still goes at least once a year and I got at least twice. Don't try to over book or over plan the trip. Book you 3 FPs if you must but let the place work it's magic and go with the flow when things don't go as planned.

I went through this with a few people Ive taken to the parks, unless they are a drinker I wouldn't do Epcot first. I would do Hollywood Studios first because its what people expect with "thrill rides" like Rockin Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror. Even Star Tours is intense and Toy Story Mania is a skill kinda game. So I think its got the most "fun" things that thrill seekers want. Even eating at Sci-Fi Drive in would be very unique.

I hear this alot - and have one case where it was true for them (won't do that again horrible trip for me). Since I have thought about his specific interests - he is into running and good food. The rest of the group were WDW regulars and we forced him into our "way" of doing things. If I had to take him again - I would plan for a race weekend so he could do that and then book 2-3 excellent meals so he had something that was specific to his tastes.

In every other case, WDW won them over on its own merits. Just focus time on what you think will be right up his alley.

I hear this alot - and have one case where it was true for them (won't do that again horrible trip for me). Since I have thought about his specific interests - he is into running and good food. The rest of the group were WDW regulars and we forced him into our "way" of doing things. If I had to take him again - I would plan for a race weekend so he could do that and then book 2-3 excellent meals so he had something that was specific to his tastes.

In every other case, WDW won them over on its own merits. Just focus time on what you think will be right up his alley.

I totally agree!

I am also wondering if the attention given to Disney Springs is to help attract and maintain a childless adult market. For me, I can't handle drinking in the FL heat (except a margarita at the Mexico Pavilion); but could see how a compromise between doing mornings at the parks and evening at the Springs could work out well!

I find that I enjoy Disney more and more the older I get. You can really appreciate getting to escape the stresses of the adult world and feel like a kid again. Hopefully he finds that out over this trip! My school's marching band went this year, and my boyfriend had only been once before. He's nowhere near as crazy about Disney than I am, but I can tell he enjoyed having me as a "tour guide", because I knew all the attractions to go to and the strategies to use. I even dragged him on CBJ.

Some things to do outside the parks depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

Regardless if you are drinkers or not. Trader Sams grotto is a great Adults Only Location, also there are really tons of fun things to do. Me and My wife who are in are early 30s go all the time. We have no Kids but we find the Adult fun things to do without a problem. The house of Mouse aint just for Kiddies

I think everyone has pretty much covered it. Plan rides that would cater to his interest. There are so many that please adults alike.

DW's cousin also was uncertain about Disney. His girlfriend was a Disney fan and wanted him to go. He finally agreed and, no surprise to us DisBoarders, he had a great time. DW and I met them for lunch in AK on the third day of their trip and he admitted that he had no idea how much fun Disney was. They have been back a couple of times since then.

I suspect that if his only visit was when he was two he probably doesn't remember much of the complexity that makes Disney attractive to adults.

As previous posters have suggested, start with trying to align your boyfriend's interests with some attractions or shows. Otherwise, pick a few headliners and just start exposing him to the depth of the Disney stories. Challenge him to find some hidden Mickey's.
Wishing you both a pixiedust: visit!

The question is: What does your bf like to do? If he doesn't like going on rides, no matter what they are, or walking, or using a swimming pool (which is the saving point for some anti-parks people), or seeing animals, then you're going to have a hard time finding something to amuse him. I assume he likes to eat, so there's at least that. And perhaps he likes to drink, which is something else WDW does pretty well. Maybe he's a golfer? WDW has great golf courses--and he could play while you were at the parks.

But if his idea of a good time is, for example, mountain climbing or hunting or snorkeling, WDW is not the place for him and nothing you could do would make it okay. Since I don't know your bf, I can't guess what he'd like, but I wouldn't push things on him. No one likes that.

Have you shown him ride videos? You might start with that.

This is a very expensive vacation to go on if it's not something you'd enjoy. If he really wouldn't like it, he should stay home. Seriously. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I think the best approach is just to ask if he would go with you because you love him and want to share this with him. Don't try and convince him that he will have a good time. Just go and don't try to contain your enjoyment. Sometimes that alone will win someone over. Happiness can be contagious. Do the things that you would like to do, and if he suggests something, by all means, go along. I just don't think you can force the issue with anybody. Some people love Disney others think it is lame, but, don't make it a contest. Just let him fall into it. Ignore negative things that are said or simply just say, I think it is wonderful and I'm glad that you will share it with me. There are many times in life when no pressure is just exactly the amount required. It has been stated by many that their S.O. didn't want to go at first and now he/she wants to go all the time. That could be the case here.

If finances permit, ask him how he would feel walking over a suspension bridge 10 feet above a pit of alligators? The Wild Africa Trek is fantastic. In addition to going back stage where you become part of KS ride, you will get a snack which is more like a meal, received a disc of photos taken during tour and make a contribution to wild life fund. If Haunted Mansion ends up becoming one of his favorite rides, there is a tour (Marceline) that takes you down underneath the ride while it is operating. The Behind the Seeds tour is interesting, short (about a hour long) and is the least expensive tour on property and again you become part of the ride of Living With the Land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!