• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking kids on Space Mountain

brenda1966

DIS Veteran
I'm going back to DL this July and it will just be me and DD, age 4.5, so I will have no one with me to watch her while I ride Space Mountain. I'm seriously considering taking her on it and am wanting to hear from others who have taken small children.

She's a fairly good sport about riding things. HAs been on the "runaway train" several times but isn't eager to ride again. She's been on Star Tours a few times too but the villian seems to bother her. She'll go on Splash with me but is a tad reluctant. She likes the Pirates and Haunted mansion. She likes the Sun Wheel (which freaks me out).

I've told her Space Mountain is fast and dark, but not scary. There are no monsters (like Matterhorn which I have not taken her on) and no villians. I've told her it's fun, like when someone holds her and spins around real fast or when Grandpa tosses her in the air.

She's tall enough, I'm just wondering if it will scare the daylights out of her or thrill her.

ETA: I took her on a zip line once. She was SCARED but I made her go. Afterward, through the tears, she says "I want to go again!" and went went 3 more times. I'm hopeful that's what her SM experience would be like, without the tears.

I took my 4 year old DS on every ride he was tall enough for and he loved all of them. Now he does have a brother who is 5 years older and he may have been trying to keep up with him but he loved all the thrill rides. Every child is different but my DS's couldn't wait to go on any ride.

My kids both ride it. Last fall when we went they were 3 1/2 and 7, then we went again in the spring and the younger one was 4. Its not his favorite, but he will get on it and he doesnt cry. They will both pretty much ride anything though. He doesnt like the matterhorn because of the monster, but will ride anyway. My 7 year old dd doesnt like matterrhorn because its rough and bumpy. She likes her coasters smooth.

If I were you I would work your way up to it. Ride haunted mansion, big thunder, etc- some dark, some fast, then ask if she want to try it.

When we take my 4 year old I always sit with one arm in front of him, holding him tight to the seat. The restraints are not that great on that ride. Not that he would fall out, but he would get tossed around in the seat and probably not feel secure.

I'd say if she's been on Splash, BTMR, and Haunted Mansion, she'd do fine on Space. Splash has the speed, BTMR has the coaster track, and HM has the darkness. Combine them all together and you get Space. There are no big drops and most of the ride is turns and twists. Hope you have fun

if she is into music, just tell her to rock out. My son didn"t go on Space Mountain until he was eight, but it sounds like your daughter will do allright.

We just returned a few weeks ago and our twins age 5 both went on Space Mountain and did fine.

It sounds to me like your dd has been on some "rougher" rides than Space Mountain. As somone else said, start with the milder rides and work your way up to Space Mtg. That's what we did and our kiddos did great. All kids are different and it's hard to say, but sounds like she could do the ride. Our twins even did Tower of Terror and were fine. They are quite daring, though. We saved the thrill rides for later in the day after we knew that all the other rides were fine for them. I was probably more scared then they were :sunny:

Have fun on your trip.

My son loved SM the very first time he rode it a 4 yrs. old. He loves it even more now! It is really smooth! The Haunted Mansion freaks him out! (Go figure! LOL) He also love Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
Good Luck! :goodvibes
Steph :wave2:

Last Nov we went and I was not thrilled about going on Space Mountain, but my dh, and ds were going and our 4 year old dd wanted to try it, so I went for her sake, after the ride we (me and dd) decided never ever do that ride again as long as we live! We can say we did it. Personally I wouldn't push anyone to go on a ride they didn't want to go on.

We recently took our DD 5 who was just tall enough. We wanted to be able to buy the picture so we had her in the front. She was also next to her 8 year old brother.

She was very scared (the picture agreed with this). I think for the first time she should have been with one of us parents and not in the front.

She said she would try again another time though.

We also did all the large rides she could go on this trip. She hated Tower of Terror, but loved Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. Star Tours they had let her on previously.

Also, she has been on the Matterhorn before (smaller size restriction). The first time she rode it DD said, "I never want to ride it again". This time it was her favorite ride.

I would have her try it. Good luck.

By your description she sounds alot like my boys. They are a couple frady cats overall. They too will ride but now with any great pleasure. My 8yo is getting better and actually likes Thunder Mountain but so far I havent been able to get either of them on Haunted Mansion. Which makes no sense since theyve ridden mission to space and test trac!

If she is not into theatrics(like my 6yo) than I would say hit it first. What scares people is the unknown so I personally would have her get it out of the way. She already knows what to expect on the other rides and you make her go on all those first she might be too annoyed with you by the time you hit Space Mountain. My boys have yet to ride it either but thier able to wait for mom so I dont run into this problem. I would drag them on if my 6yo didnt throw such a fit.

Ofcourse this answer is very politically incorrect. :guilty:

We took my 4.5 year old nephew last year. He was scared during the ride, but afterwards he thought it was pretty cool and wanted to go again.

My daughter rode it when she was 3. Of course she also rode Tower of Terror when she was 3. She did okay on Space mountain, and rode it again on her 4th birthday, but this time with the lights on. She liked that better (this was before the rehab). They then shut it down right after that. She rode it again last year after it came up and didn't really like it, but the next time we went to ride it she rode it so while it isn't her favorite she will ride it.

I've always taken my young kids on the rides as soon as they have met the height restriction. They were always scared to get on the ride, but after the ride they wanted to do it again and again. My girls are now roller coaster lovers and all they want to do is run from roller coaster to roller coaster.

Linda :jumping1:

My DD5 loves SM. First time we went I held her leg with my arm. When she got off she said she loved the ride, but her stomach hurt. I thought the "thrill" of the ride made her a little woozy. Next time we went I did the same holding of her leg and she complained about her stomach again. Went on a second time that day and she rode with her DH. No tummy ache. The next time I realized that by holding onto her leg, I pushed the bar into her stomach and it locked a click tighter than it had been when we started the ride.

Oh yeah, she had her hands in the air everytime we rode. SM is a very smooth rollercoaster.

Enjoy...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter