Taking my elderly mom and have many questions

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by smallworldnh, Oct 11, 2017 at 6:25 PM.

1. Simba's Mom

Simba's Mom <font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha

Also, you may hear negative reports from people about chivalry. When I took my elderly mom, let me tell you, chivalry was alive and well. Not only did people always offer her their seat on transportation, quite often, I got offered a seat nearby "so your mother isn't alone". People who saw us ran to open doors. Our experience was that chivalry was alive and well at WDW.

mamabunny and smallworldnh like this.
  2. Aladora

Aladora DIS Veteran

Since the humidity is an issue for your mother, have you thought about going to DL instead of WDW? It will still be hot in May but not humid.

smallworldnh likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. smallworldnh

smallworldnh DIS Veteran

That's wonderful! I saw this a lot during our last visit. Over all people were very nice, especially to those with young children and the elderly!

5. smallworldnh

smallworldnh DIS Veteran

Unfortunately, I think the travel would be too long for her, we live in New England. It's too bad because my DD lives near Los Angeles and she's never been to see her. She usually comes to see us. I think DL would be much easier for her to handle too!

6. Kaytie

Kaytie DIS Veteran

Do you mean actual flying for five hours, or the entire travel experience? When my brother was sick, he and my mom went to Las Vegas. He intentionally booked the flights with a stopover (as midway as possible) so he could get a break from the long sitting.

smallworldnh likes this.
  7. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

Yep; we had to fly with my Mom cross-country, and we booked an overnight layover in Chicago, stayed at an airport hotel, got up the next morning and continued on. Made a huge difference to her travel experience.

smallworldnh likes this.
  8. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

@jo-jo has a brilliant (see what I did there? LOL) idea about strapping a light to your mom's cane.

Consider a bicycle light that can clamp on, and swivels - a quick Amazon search will yield all kinds of results! :)

smallworldnh likes this.
  9. smallworldnh

smallworldnh DIS Veteran

It would be the entire long travel experience along with the time difference. She won't travel cross country at all any more, not even to visit her granddaughter.