Taking our Parents on a Cruise * 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona

June 3rd - Sea Day.

After a light breakfast at Daisy's De-Lites we send DM and DF to the Art of the Theme Show Tour. Sam and I did this on our second cruise, and really enjoyed it. DF and DM thought it was okay. After relaxing at Quiet Cove we got ready for our Palo Brunch.

Online we had only been able to book a table for two, but once on board it was no problem to make it a table for 4.

6R3BQba.jpg
mMaRUK0.jpg

bLTHKRX.jpg
VZWOaJl.jpg

I love trying new things, and once again brunch was wonderful, though in my opinion the Palo Brunch on the Wonder was slightly better.

The rest of the day we relaxed and enjoyed our MDR and evening show. I'm not one to keep track of when I ate at which MDR and what show followed. We find dinner at the MDRs good and enjoyable though not awesome. We like the theming on each restaurant as well as the shows. We went to all the Disney shows, though usually skip the guest entertainers. Instead, we enjoy seeing the movies in the theater. We saw Solo, Black Panther, and Infinity War.

Last edited:
June 4 – Naples (Pompeii)

Port Adventure: Pompeii Half Day - Adult Only Departure (NP39)

We tend to book excursions through Disney unless we're in an area we're very familiar. Pompeii is one of the reasons we wanted to do this cruise and it did not disappoint. Pompeii is one of those places where photos and videos don't do it justice. The size of the place, the stories, the buildings, it's all very impressive and the tour guide did a good job (the right pace, right amount of info, and the right amount of freedom).

2bDAvJP.jpg
SOsJ4Bh.jpg
sSCIap7.jpg

We were back in time for lunch, and had time to go into Naples on foot. Unfortunately, Naples was very disappointing. It was run-down, dirty, we saw residents throwing trash on the ground, and the atmosphere was depressing.

eCuGqfO.jpg
KVkoJzw.jpg

After about an hour of walking through the city we returned to the ship, now somewhat apprehensive about Rome the next day....

Putting Naples out of our mind for now, we enjoyed today's dinner and show/movie. This evening I managed to make photos of dinner and desert.

Ja3BUrY.jpg
2WzZdEG.jpg

Pompeii is one of the reasons we wanted to do this cruise and it did not disappoint. Pompeii is one of those places where photos and videos don't do it justice. The size of the place, the stories, the buildings, it's all very impressive and the tour guide did a good job (the right pace, right amount of info, and the right amount of freedom).

I'm so glad you enjoyed Pompeii!

Unfortunately, Naples was very disappointing. It was run-down, dirty, we saw residents throwing trash on the ground, and the atmosphere was depressing.

Sorry about that--I remember reading that you were planning on exploring Naples and thinking "um, why?" I've had friends stationed there and nothing good is ever said about Naples except its proximity to the rest of Europe. But...I was optimistic that maybe things had changed and/or you were someone who might like it. So sorry it sounds like it hasn't changed! How are your parents enjoying their trip at this point? Hopefully you were able to change their minds!

How are your parents enjoying their trip at this point? Hopefully you were able to change their minds!

Our parents were blown away with DCL. The service, the MDRs, the shows, the ship, AND not seasickness!. Plus they loved that it brought them to several interesting places in one vacation. They can't wait to get back to cruising (which we are planning for 2020).

So good to hear :)
My mother loves cruising and DCL but my father retired from the Navy and it took some convincing for him to try it out...now he's a fan, too. I'm really anxious to see the summer 2020 itineraries, hopefully something will fit with my schedule--I do love the Magic!

Enjoying your trip report, Chrissy, keep up the great work!

I’m looking to book the half day Pompeii excursion. In your opinion, was it worth the cost?

Enjoying your trip report, Chrissy, keep up the great work!

I’m looking to book the half day Pompeii excursion. In your opinion, was it worth the cost?

It was 100% worth it to my and my family.
I knew that I wanted to see Pompeii, but was a little hesitant about spending that kind of money; I'm originally from Europe and am used doing things on my own instead of paying $$$ for excursions. However, the information given on the tour was really good and added a lot to our experience compared to walking around on our own (which is possible).

It was 100% worth it to my and my family.
I knew that I wanted to see Pompeii, but was a little hesitant about spending that kind of money; I'm originally from Europe and am used doing things on my own instead of paying $$$ for excursions. However, the information given on the tour was really good and added a lot to our experience compared to walking around on our own (which is possible).

Thank you, highly appreciate this!

I am really enjoying your trip report. We are booked on the June 8th 6-Night Mediterranean Cruise. I am curious as to what you thought of the Cannes, Grasse and St. Paul excursion? Disney is also offering the option of just doing St. Paul de Vence. I will be traveling with teens and wondering if they will be bored in Grasse. Thank you!

With our next cruise just 5 weeks from now, I'm looking through the photos of our Mediterranean cruise and am making time to finish this TR (after I figured out how to post photos :worried:).

June 1st - Barcelona

My sister (Sam) and I left Miami on May 31st and arrive the morning of June 1st. We took the bus from the airport to the city and enjoyed exploring Barcelona on foot. We love the architecture and culture of the city. It was the second visiting, and I wouldn't mind going back again one day.

Our parents arrived late that afternoon. After checking into the AC Marriott hotel and getting some fast-food for dinner, Sam and I were exhausted and excused ourselves from evening activities, but DM and DF went out and confirmed that Barcelona is a great city after dark as well.

Do you recall how long it took to clear customs, get your luggage, and get to the hotel? We are on this cruise (in reverse this year May 25!) and have booked a noon Chocolate Tour. We're concerned about having enough time to do all this and get to the chocolate museum on time. The tour operator didn't seem concerned???

Do you recall how long it took to clear customs, get your luggage, and get to the hotel? We are on this cruise (in reverse this year May 25!) and have booked a noon Chocolate Tour. We're concerned about having enough time to do all this and get to the chocolate museum on time. The tour operator didn't seem concerned???

Going through customs went smooth for us, we walked off with our luggage, and it took about 30 minutes if I remember correctly. After that, we grabbed a taxi, also very easy and quick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!