Takumi-Tei - Thoughts??

We are considering eating there this coming Christmas Eve as it will nicely balance the heavier meal we'll be eating on Christmas Day (Shula's) as well as the fact that traditionally we eat a fish based meal on the Eve.

Final decision hasn't been made yet on whether we'll do a dining plan or not although the fact that this restaurant isn't accepting it might figure in my decision to eat here or not.

I've read a few disboard, yelp, and blog reviews and for the moment am definitely tilting towards making the reservation.

We are considering eating there this coming Christmas Eve as it will nicely balance the heavier meal we'll be eating on Christmas Day (Shula's) as well as the fact that traditionally we eat a fish based meal on the Eve.

Final decision hasn't been made yet on whether we'll do a dining plan or not although the fact that this restaurant isn't accepting it might figure in my decision to eat here or not.

I've read a few disboard, yelp, and blog reviews and for the moment am definitely tilting towards making the reservation.

Sounds fun, although specialty and focus of the menu at Takumi-Tei is beef, not fish.

I went last week and had the tasting menu with drink pairing.

My husband used to be a senior chef at Nobu and found the food of similar style and quality, but with the slight north american twist of having two beef courses.

Price is similar to an Omakase menu for a similar quality meal in a major European or American city.

I enjoyed it very much but perhaps would have preffered one more fish course and one less beef course.

Sounds fun, although specialty and focus of the menu at Takumi-Tei is beef, not fish.
The tasting menu is a combo of Waygu beef and fish however there are enough fish dishes to make a body happy on the a la carte side:).

I read @GADisneyDad14 's review which helped me to better decide that the tasting menu wouldn't fit our wants this time out err which won't stop the man from opting in to the Wagyu beef. He'll probably say something like fish eating is my family's tradition not his which I seem to recall is takeout Chinese food:D.

My husband used to be a senior chef at Nobu and found the food of similar style and quality, but with the slight north american twist of having two beef courses.

Price is similar to an Omakase menu for a similar quality meal in a major European or American city.

I enjoyed it very much but perhaps would have preffered one more fish course and one less beef course.

I agree with the comment about the beef and fish. Granted I was a willing consumer and ordered it as advertised, but after trying it I would have preferred a more balanced fish/beef courses as well.

I agree with the comment about the beef and fish. Granted I was a willing consumer and ordered it as advertised, but after trying it I would have preferred a more balanced fish/beef courses as well.

The counterfactual is that they would almost certainly drop the bone marrow in favour of fish, which would be a real pain because the bone marrow with the spoon was great.

The tasting menu is a combo of Waygu beef and fish however there are enough fish dishes to make a body happy on the a la carte side:).

I read @GADisneyDad14 's review which helped me to better decide that the tasting menu wouldn't fit our wants this time out err which won't stop the man from opting in to the Wagyu beef. He'll probably say something like fish eating is my family's tradition not his which I seem to recall is takeout Chinese food:D.
How long did the meal last? Curious as we are going in October and can't decide between ala cart or the tasting menu.

The counterfactual is that they would almost certainly drop the bone marrow in favour of fish, which would be a real pain because the bone marrow with the spoon was great.
The beef marrow is right up my alley and I really hope it isn't retired before we try the Omakase menu.

Anyone have an opinion/remembrance of the palate cleanser? It sounds like a good marriage of flavors (cucumber and ginger I think) but at least one blog reviewer didn't enjoy it although they really didn't say why.

The beef marrow is right up my alley and I really hope it isn't retired before we try the Omakase menu.

Anyone have an opinion/remembrance of the palate cleanser? It sounds like a good marriage of flavors (cucumber and ginger I think) but at least one blog reviewer didn't enjoy it although they really didn't say why.

It is as nice and interesting as a palate cleanser can be. There is nothing at all to complain about in the taste.

I completely agree. DS11 and I went last Monday and we both ordered the tasting menu. I did it mostly because I wanted to have the experience and really wanted to see the tea ceremony. I loved the sushi and the bone marrow dish, but, after that, I really didn't want any more beef. I only ate about half of the wagyu, which was kind of a shame. My DS11 ate absolutely everything including most of his dessert (I wasn't really into water cake). We will go back again the next time DH is with us, but, this time I will order a la carte to switch up the courses a little bit.

How long did the meal last? Curious as we are going in October and can't decide between ala cart or the tasting menu.
We did the tasting menu with only one non-alcoholic drink each and it took 90 minutes.

My DS11 liked it. He literally ate everything that was put in front of him and ate about 1/3 of my shortrib as well! I really didn't like the palate cleanser. It tasted like cucumber soap to me. I'm typically a pretty adventurous eater, but the palate cleanser and dessert were not really to my liking. I know, next time, to order things, a la carte, that are probably more to my liking - I'll get the cheesecake next time!

thank you. Somewhere, I thought I had read that they expected the tasting menu to be about 3 hours. 90 minute to 2 hours works well.

Just to add another data point to your earlier question that is similar to @DisneyWishes14's post, our reservation was for 6pm, we showed up around 5:50pm and were seated right away. I have a pic of the sashimi course at 6:17pm, bone marrow course 6:29pm, a CM doing origami with DS at 7:20pm (I noted in my review on another thread that one of the courses was taking quite awhile to come out and the CM jumped in with origami for DS to pass the time).

Afterwards we walked straight out of Epcot via the IG.... I have a pic outside YC with a 7:50pm time stamp. So 90'ish mins is just about right from our experience (would have been a bit less if that one course had not taken so long).

Hope that helps.

We visited in late July and loved it. Definitely the most expensive meal we’ve ever had, but everything from the food, drinks, atmosphere, service, etc. was fabulous. The experience was something we thoroughly enjoyed. I’m definitely a foodie and my DH loves Japanese food and culture.

We are not ones to rush through a meal but we also don’t linger too much either. My pic time stamps show we arrived at 6:15, cocktails at 6:25, appetizer at 6:45, sushi at 7:00, entree at 7:20. We did a la carte and no dessert. Hope to go back but it might not be an every-trip restaurant.

0EF25401-94AA-411E-AE7F-208B0A2680B2.jpeg
1A4A3149-656F-45DB-AF3E-BEC25548E1E2.jpeg520099E3-F175-4F6E-8D8B-DF3B383BEA03.jpegAAAF0FF6-0C00-4927-B5A1-8D62CA25D5FE.jpeg34A00C29-CF62-487D-8885-DDE6567EADFD.jpeg134F2BB2-2FFA-4B76-8F42-19EACC811D8D.jpeg23FDB743-713C-4994-9D80-486127D892F0.jpeg

What drinks did you order and what specifically is the cocktail in picture #2 with the foam heading, please?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter