Talk DVC with the Dis Dads

Ok, so my inquiry to DVC via email was answered but I did not pose the question correctly:crazy2:

Much like my mis stated lines above re: borrowing, the same applies here. I essentially asked if you borrow 20 points for a room, but then change and only need 15 points, what happens to the difference?

The answer is that any time points are borrowed, it is considered a final transaction and the points will remain in the use year into which they were borrowed.

For the record, I strongly disagree with that approach. For example, I book a 2BR bc there's no 1BR available. It costs me 20 more points. Then my wait list comes in and I get a 1BR for less points. I'm screwed with the extra points.

It's the same with banking. Their pond. Their rules.

With my trips, in the banking/ borrowing, I've "lost" a total of five points over all the years combined. Once you learn the system, then just make it work for you. In the example you provided above, instead of losing 20 points, I would just do a split stay or try a new resort, room size, or view.

It's the same with banking. Their pond. Their rules.

With my trips, in the banking/ borrowing, I've "lost" a total of five points over all the years combined. Once you learn the system, then just make it work for you. In the example you provided above, instead of losing 20 points, I would just do a split stay or try a new resort, room size, or view.

Oh stop with your blasted logic and let me feel sorry for myself. I mean, I have ignored my kids' college savings, leveraged my debt to the hilt and by golly, I want DVC to cater to me regardless of what I agreed and signed. Why are you being so difficult?:lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:
At least that's what I hear from people over and over and over...

Seriously, you're right. It's about learning the ropes and making it work.
One of the realities that people need to understand is that you absolutely can do Disney cheaper outside of DVC. However, you can't do it cheaper and stay at the level of luxury that DVC members get.

I have done the stays off-site and at the Values. I am not an elitist, but I have drunken from the golden cup and can't go back!

I came across this article re: DVC and it explains alot of things that many DVC owners do not understand.
http://wdwuntangled.com/disney-vacation-club-dvc/

I just did some math at lunch time. That usually doesn't result in anything good. My notebook looks like something from Leonardo Davinci's notes, yet it was merely me trying to account for banked, borrowed and used points. I ended up banking my full allotment of 2014 UY points. That's 305 points. I am now in the (enviable?) position of using 305 points in 205. As I probably noted previously in this thread, I have booked a Theme park view at BLT, but fully intend to switch at the 7-month mark. Currently the 1BT T view at BLT is 241 points. For those keeping score at home, that leaves me a balance of 64 points to use. It looks like someone is going to have to upgrade to something classier!:lmao::cool1:

Now, the debate is, where and what! I want to get as close to suing the 305 points without going over as I'd hate to unnecessarily borrow from 2015 points.

Should be interesting when i explain this to the DW. I'm anxious to stay at VWL but am not sure if there is the place to do a 2BR villa. I'm leaning towards Beach Club. Of course we are going to be there 10\10 - 10\17 which is F&W and MNSSHP, so not sure how much will be available.

Seriously, you're right. It's about learning the ropes and making it work.
One of the realities that people need to understand is that you absolutely can do Disney cheaper outside of DVC. However, you can't do it cheaper and stay at the level of luxury that DVC members get.

I came across this article re: DVC and it explains alot of things that many DVC owners do not understand.
http://wdwuntangled.com/disney-vacation-club-dvc/

That article didn't cover holding points. :stir: :duck: :lmao:
I admit I didn't know everything when I bought, but I knew enough. It is difficult to grasp all of it.

You're right on the cost thing, assuming one is willing to stay off site. Without DVC, we could have stayed in the value resorts for the same price. But, I never want to try an offsite stay. Throw in a week long stay at the ocean (VBR) resort for a dues payment and that cost factor changes.

I just did some math at lunch time. That usually doesn't result in anything good. My notebook looks like something from Leonardo Davinci's notes, yet it was merely me trying to account for banked, borrowed and used points. I ended up banking my full allotment of 2014 UY points. That's 305 points. I am now in the (enviable?) position of using 305 points in 205. As I probably noted previously in this thread, I have booked a Theme park view at BLT, but fully intend to switch at the 7-month mark. Currently the 1BT T view at BLT is 241 points. For those keeping score at home, that leaves me a balance of 64 points to use. It looks like someone is going to have to upgrade to something classier!:lmao::cool1:

Now, the debate is, where and what! I want to get as close to suing the 305 points without going over as I'd hate to unnecessarily borrow from 2015 points.

Honestly, I'm not sure why you would want to change. BLT and BWV are my favorite two resorts. The ability to walk to the parks is amazing. Plus, you'll have some difficulties at the 7 month mark during F&W at BCV. We did manage to get into VWL at 7 month during F&W in a studio. Any desire to stay in VGF? THV?

That article didn't cover holding points. :stir: :duck: :lmao:
I admit I didn't know everything when I bought, but I knew enough. It is difficult to grasp all of it.

You're right on the cost thing, assuming one is willing to stay off site. Without DVC, we could have stayed in the value resorts for the same price. But, I never want to try an offsite stay. Throw in a week long stay at the ocean (VBR) resort for a dues payment and that cost factor changes.

Honestly, I'm not sure why you would want to change. BLT and BWV are my favorite two resorts. The ability to walk to the parks is amazing. Plus, you'll have some difficulties at the 7 month mark during F&W at BCV. We did manage to get into VWL at 7 month during F&W in a studio. Any desire to stay in VGF? THV?
The intent to change is to experience the different resorts. Like most things, you and I are on the same page. I love the resorts that are walking distance to the parks. Also a fan of the monorail. I did start looking at THV and VGF. I kep hoping that my FIL recovers enough physically to do a WDW trip with us. He and DW step-mom have done so much for us and our girls that it would be so nice to treat them.

October 2015 is looking like a pimped out room.
November 2016 is supposed to be DCL. My intent is to bank the 2016 points rather than burn them on DCL. I think DCL is going to be cash transaction.
So 2017 it looks like we'll have about 600 points!

The intent to change is to experience the different resorts. Like most things, you and I are on the same page.

October 2015 is looking like a pimped out room.
November 2016 is supposed to be DCL. My intent is to bank the 2016 points rather than burn them on DCL. I think DCL is going to be cash transaction.
So 2017 it looks like we'll have about 600 points!

Yes, staying at all the DVC resorts was a priority for me as well. And, I will try to stay at the new ones as they are built as well. But, the point differentials are HUGE. I can stay at BWV standard for almost twice the # of nights as VGF for the same points.

600 points is awesome by the way!!!!

Currently the 1BT T view at BLT is 241 points. For those keeping score at home, that leaves me a balance of 64 points to use. It looks like someone is going to have to upgrade to something classier!:lmao::cool1:

So, ummm, let me know what you want per point to transfer those 64 points. :scratchin

Yes, staying at all the DVC resorts was a priority for me as well. And, I will try to stay at the new ones as they are built as well. But, the point differentials are HUGE. I can stay at BWV standard for almost twice the # of nights as VGF for the same points.

600 points is awesome by the way!!!!
Yeah, I hate to use MORE points for the same thing. I love being walking distance to resorts and with BLT, you get the monorail, too. Truthfully, I'm not sure that the monorail is any faster when you facot in the stop at the TTC. But mentally, it feels like it's shorter. maybe b\c I don't find myself standing the entire time. LOL.

DW was waiting for bad news as I told her about the amount of points that we had. She said that she's game for the Poly or VGF. I think I'd still prefer BC. I'm okay with any of them though.

So, ummm, let me know what you want per point to transfer those 64 points. :scratchin
Yeah...transfer.:rotfl2:

Stupid airfare is what keeps me from making multiple stops at the World.

Yeah, I hate to use MORE points for the same thing. I love being walking distance to resorts and with BLT, you get the monorail, too. Truthfully, I'm not sure that the monorail is any faster when you facot in the stop at the TTC. But mentally, it feels like it's shorter. maybe b\c I don't find myself standing the entire time. LOL.

DW was waiting for bad news as I told her about the amount of points that we had. She said that she's game for the Poly or VGF. I think I'd still prefer BC. I'm okay with any of them though.

I'm thinking a split stay. I'll stay at VGF and put two non-park days together, and then back to BWV. That way, I can try a new resort and save some points. Those bungalows @ Poly look cool, and so do the THV. I doubt I'll have enough points to book many nights there at all.

I'm thinking a split stay. I'll stay at VGF and put two non-park days together, and then back to BWV. That way, I can try a new resort and save some points. Those bungalows @ Poly look cool, and so do the THV. I doubt I'll have enough points to book many nights there at all.

I think that my DW stance on the split stay is softening. I don't think that she'd embrace it, but based on feedback that she's received from people that have done it, it seems far more palatable now.

So after having my next 2 trips 'all figured out', now DW suggested that we invite my parents for either summer 2015 or January 2016. We would have to either have them rent points or we have to book a 2BR (more likely scenario). My parents are separated but still get along really well so I'm sure they would split a room.

So now I guess we have to talk to them to see which trip they would be interested in. This is going to hurt my point balance. :scared:

So after having my next 2 trips 'all figured out', now DW suggested that we invite my parents for either summer 2015 or January 2016. We would have to either have them rent points or we have to book a 2BR (more likely scenario). My parents are separated but still get along really well so I'm sure they would split a room.

So now I guess we have to talk to them to see which trip they would be interested in. This is going to hurt my point balance. :scared:

If these plans result in a new variable to this thread Rocket Science DVC Math I will be VERY upset. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I think that my DW stance on the split stay is softening. I don't think that she'd embrace it, but based on feedback that she's received from people that have done it, it seems far more palatable now.

Originally, I hated the split stay and still do. It seems like so much work to pack & unpack, only to pack & unpack, only to pack & unpack. One of my favorite aspect of the WDW vacation is drive, park, unpack, and never see the car again until we leave to go home. Going to the VBR made the split stay a bit less bothersome, as we were changing entire locations. But, moving from one resort at WDW to another resort at WDW just stinks for me. However, that will be th only way I will ever be able to stay at VGF with those high point night stays.

:scared1: :eek: :scared1: :eek: :scared1:

I'm not sure which is worse - doing more math for Tim or the parents going on a trip. :lmao:

Just keep in mind - once borrowed always borrowed. If you are using your points for them, I would try to have them stay in a time where you can use your current UY points in the banking window, so if something changed and you didn't need a 2 BR, maybe you could still get a 1 BR and then bank the remaining points forward. Good luck.

I'm not sure which is worse - doing more math for Tim or the parents going on a trip. :lmao:
Yea, there will be more math involved here. But with the parents coming along, Melody & I might actually get to have a date night or 2. :thumbsup2

Just keep in mind - once borrowed always borrowed. If you are using your points for them, I would try to have them stay in a time where you can use your current UY points in the banking window, so if something changed and you didn't need a 2 BR, maybe you could still get a 1 BR and then bank the remaining points forward. Good luck.
Good point... July 31 is my banking window but I'd know all the particulars by then. Then obviously Jan 2016 is 1 month after my UY so I should be fine there too. :thumbsup2

I think I may approach Aaron about us doing DISDads DVC podcast. It will involve points about bringing guests, split stays and the use of an abacus for point calculations!

So after talking to my parents it has been decided that my mom is going to come with us this summer. Because of a work mess up I lost one of my weekends that I originally had took off. :headache: Good thing is I'll be making $, bad thing is I lose WDW time. There still is a slight chance that I could have the 2nd weekend off, but I just met with the client for that weekend and they said they are going to book me for their wedding.

So plan is leaving for Tampa Wednesday Aug. 12. Staying with Mel's grandfather 12-14, traveling towards WDW but staying with Mel's cousins 14-16, then staying at BCV 16-20.

5 days and 4 nights is NOT what we had in mind when we originally talked about this summer vacation last summer. I am kinda disappointed. I was hoping for 7-10 days in WDW including trying out a waterpark. We might be able to talk Mel's cousins into a WDW day or maybe doing Blizzard Beach one of the days we are hanging with them but I'm not counting on that.

There is also a slight chance that Melody's grandfather won't be up for a visit... he is actually in the hospital right now and we don't really know the extent of his sickness. Mel's father is flying down there tomorrow so hopefully everything will be OK.

The 1BR is booked costing us 140 points. Which is good because I have 153 2014 points and I didn't have to borrow. 13 points could be banked to help with the January 2016 trip. I'm not going to be able to book these 1BRs much longer if we bring a guest. I'm thinking a studio in January at OKW from Wednesday-Monday would cost us only 56 points. Not too shabby. Plus we would have the double beds which would be great for the kids. We gotta get these studio stays in before we are forced to a 1BR or forced to stay in resorts that allow 5 in a studio. Who knows.. maybe we will just get nuts and stay at VGF or PVB. :rolleyes:

So after talking to my parents it has been decided that my mom is going to come with us this summer. Because of a work mess up I lost one of my weekends that I originally had took off. :headache: Good thing is I'll be making $, bad thing is I lose WDW time. There still is a slight chance that I could have the 2nd weekend off, but I just met with the client for that weekend and they said they are going to book me for their wedding.

So plan is leaving for Tampa Wednesday Aug. 12. Staying with Mel's grandfather 12-14, traveling towards WDW but staying with Mel's cousins 14-16, then staying at BCV 16-20.

5 days and 4 nights is NOT what we had in mind when we originally talked about this summer vacation last summer. I am kinda disappointed. I was hoping for 7-10 days in WDW including trying out a waterpark. We might be able to talk Mel's cousins into a WDW day or maybe doing Blizzard Beach one of the days we are hanging with them but I'm not counting on that.

There is also a slight chance that Melody's grandfather won't be up for a visit... he is actually in the hospital right now and we don't really know the extent of his sickness. Mel's father is flying down there tomorrow so hopefully everything will be OK.

The 1BR is booked costing us 140 points. Which is good because I have 153 2014 points and I didn't have to borrow. 13 points could be banked to help with the January 2016 trip. I'm not going to be able to book these 1BRs much longer if we bring a guest. I'm thinking a studio in January at OKW from Wednesday-Monday would cost us only 56 points. Not too shabby. Plus we would have the double beds which would be great for the kids. We gotta get these studio stays in before we are forced to a 1BR or forced to stay in resorts that allow 5 in a studio. Who knows.. maybe we will just get nuts and stay at VGF or PVB. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about the change of plans and short stay. The longest we stayed was 8 days and it was enjoyable. I want to get to a 10+ day stay, but probably won't be able to do that for the next decade until we get out of the high point summer season.

Just remember, you have 40 more years of vacations to plan and enjoy. Hope that gives you some consolation. :thumbsup2

Our plans have changed again. Melody's grandfather passed away in January after a short illness. It is sad because we haven't seen him in a couple years and we were looking forward to spending some time with him.

So we were going to book a studio (probably at OKW to use less points) for Wednesday & Thursday (8/12-14).

Our plans have changed again. Melody's grandfather passed away in January after a short illness. It is sad because we haven't seen him in a couple years and we were looking forward to spending some time with him.

So we were going to book a studio (probably at OKW to use less points) for Wednesday & Thursday (8/12-14).
Super sorry to hear about the bad news. We asked my DW's dad and step mom to go with us in October. My FIL is still dealing with the many after effects of battling Leukemia. They do so much for us that we're hoping that they decide to join us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter