Target making Halloween Costumes for *all* kids

mamabunny

DIS Veteran
I know.. I know... This probably belongs in the "Community" section up there - and the Mods should totally move it if that is where it fits better, but this is just some nice news! 😀

Target is selling Halloween costumes this year for kids with sensory issues (Unicorn or Shark) with no tags or itchy seams! And they are selling costumes that match wheelchair accessories and even wheel covers to complete the theme (Princess or Pirate).

I hope I see a whole bunch of kidlets all over MK this year at MNSSHP dressed up in these outfits! 😍

Target Unveils Adaptive Halloween Costumes For Kids With Disabilities

I think it's a great idea - wish they would make all clothing without tags. Not sure why they only have two costumes without tags? Why not make them all without tags, at least? So many t-shirts, underwear, etc, come without tags now. Why not do that all the time?

Also, if someone wants to be a princess, with wheelchair accessories, they wouldn't be able to self propel, would they? It's a good start, but not completely thought through?

Yeah, that looks like a power chair of some sort. The back tires are smaller, but not small. But the article did say the accessories could be cut

I used to work for Target's parent company yeeeeaaaaaaaars ago, and what I am hearing is that if this is as successful as they hope it will be, there will be more of these types of costumes (different characters, etc.) rolled out (no pun intended)

There are parents who pull their littles in wagons who are excited for the wheelchair costumes as well; it never occurred to me that would be a possible demographic for that product.

@DisneyOma I full agree with you - all kids clothing - shoot, ALL clothing for everyone - should be made without seams or itchy fabrics.

I believe that the accessories are made of some type of foam, so that it can be easily modified and will fit multiple sized devices.

Yeah, that looks like a power chair of some sort. The back tires are smaller, but not small. But the article did say the accessories could be cut
The chair in the princess picture is a stroller type wheelchair - not meant to be propelled by the user. The top of the castle looks like it would interfere with seeing out to the sides. I would need to fix that if my daughter used it on her power wheelchair.

Either type could be used on a power or self propelled wheelchair - depending on the chair, they would need to be cut or arranged a little differently to fit and still allow use of the wheelchair.
I imagine they are made from thin foam sheets- I’ve used that for costume pieces before. It be easily cut and since it’s foam, the cut edges won’t ravel or tear.
I’ll see if our Target has them the next time I go there.

They're being released August 22 - and all preorders for the accessories are sold out online! If anyone is seriously considering either of them, I'd plan to be at Target before it opens that day.

the costumes are still in stock.

I bet a lot of people ordered them to use on wagons, etc. Hopefully Target can order up some more, and won't pull the store stock to cover the online pre-orders.

They also have adult sizes! I’ve seen the brands, but didn’t realize they were adaptive clothing.
https://www.target.com/c/women-s-adaptive-clothing/-/N-r23zu
https://www.target.com/c/men-s-adaptive-clothing/-/N-bints

Just checked out what they mean by "adaptive" - I get that the seams are much smoother, but this part?

"Designed with flat seams and no back pockets for added convenience, they're sure to become a quick favorite in your collection of denim."

No back pockets? How is that more convenient?

Just checked out what they mean by "adaptive" - I get that the seams are much smoother, but this part?

"Designed with flat seams and no back pockets for added convenience, they're sure to become a quick favorite in your collection of denim."

No back pockets? How is that more convenient?
That might be a big deal for some people in wheelchairs - no pockets mean there’s not another ‘lump’ the person is sitting on and no pocket to possibly get caught doing transfers.
Not necessarily more convenient.

My daughter wears mostly ‘activeware’ like Target’s C9 or Kohl’s Tek Gear or Gaiam. Since they are made for exercise, most are soft, stretchable fabric with no labels..

Brilliant! Wish more UK places would do clothing without the awful hanging tags that itch and rough seams. I wear a lot of jeggings for that reason. And don't get me started on the bizarre cuts and fits in some brands of clothing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter