TEA/AECOM 2018 Theme Park Attendance Numbers

And then comes Nintendo... All of this should be fun for a while. :)

Frankly I'm surprised that Epcot is as high as it is. I wonder if multi-day tickets help? I don't travel a zillion miles to go to festivals but to each their own.

When is Nintendo supposed to happen anyways? I for one, cannot wait for that!

When is Nintendo supposed to happen anyways? I for one, cannot wait for that!

Well Super Nintendo World will open in Japan next year.
Followed by Singapore.
Then likely Hollywood.

For Orlando it’s expected to open with the new park at the earliest now since the Zelda and Pokemon expansions both got shelved.
2023-2025 at the earliest for the new park.

Followed by Singapore.
Then likely Hollywood.

For Orlando it’s expected to open with the new park at the earliest now since the Zelda and Pokemon expansions both got shelved.
And Hollywood has already broken ground on Nintendo there.

And then comes Nintendo... All of this should be fun for a while. :)

Frankly I'm surprised that Epcot is as high as it is. I wonder if multi-day tickets help? I don't travel a zillion miles to go to festivals but to each their own.
Oh I agree.

I'm not much of a fan of Universal but I LOVE how they are making Disney step up their game!

Followed by Singapore.
Then likely Hollywood.

Is it going to be called Super Nintendo Land in Japan or Super Famicon Land? It isn't called Nintendo Entertainment System over there.

Is it going to be called Super Nintendo Land in Japan or Super Famicon Land? It isn't called Nintendo Entertainment System over there.

It’s been advertised as Super Nintendo World, more like Super Mario World than Super Nintendo Entertainment System. It’s all Mario related attractions. The other franchises aren’t coming yet.

Last edited:
There seems to be a long-running thread of conversation (not so much on these boards, more in social media) that many folks who used to frequent the Disney parks can't or won't go back because they feel that they have been priced out. It's been especially pronounced over the last couple years as ticket prices and packages have gone up in reaction to overcrowded parks, among other things. And yet the attendance numbers continue to climb, and SW:GE hasn't even dropped yet.

I think it's safe to say that we haven't seen the end of price increases in the short term. For those who disavow the parks because of the cost, I doubt Disney will break a sweat. The line forms to the left of those eager to take their place. (And I will be standing in it myself.) IMO, the only thing that will derail this train would be a major shift in the overall economy that sends tourism overall into a downturn a-la 2001.

There seems to be a long-running thread of conversation (not so much on these boards, more in social media) that many folks who used to frequent the Disney parks can't or won't go back because they feel that they have been priced out. It's been especially pronounced over the last couple years as ticket prices and packages have gone up in reaction to overcrowded parks, among other things. And yet the attendance numbers continue to climb, and SW:GE hasn't even dropped yet.

I think it's safe to say that we haven't seen the end of price increases in the short term. For those who disavow the parks because of the cost, I doubt Disney will break a sweat. The line forms to the left of those eager to take their place. (And I will be standing in it myself.) IMO, the only thing that will derail this train would be a major shift in the overall economy that sends tourism overall into a downturn a-la 2001.

I consider ourselves one of those people. The only reason we went this time, is because my father in law paid 50% of the bill since it was my son's birthday gift AND we nabbed the Canadian resident discount. Had it been only one or other other, the trip wouldn't have happened.

We now have one more trip planned, but only because we were given free one day park hoppers by the resort. We will stay off site, rent a car, and merely do the one day we have been given. The other days will be spent at other (less expensive) attractions. It will be a Florida vacation, not a "Disney" vacation.

We just absolutely cannot afford Disney at full price. And even as I type that, technically, I suppose we can afford it, I just can't justify the cost. We had a blast this trip, but for the 4 of us to do Disney for 5 days at full price is $2600 (CDN funds). Just for tickets. Disney's awesome, but it's not worth that.

I love this kind of stuff...

One thing that stands out to me are the Japan Disney and Universal numbers. For one, wow, I didn't realize the theme park industry in Japan was as big as it is. I mean, sure, I knew Disney had a fantastic park there (by all accounts I've seen/heard) but I didn't realize the parks there would rank 3rd and 4th, with Universal at 5th, behind only Magic Kingdom and Disneyland California. I would have never guessed that. Secondly, the % change for these three parks: Disney's (2) parks in Japan grew about 8% while Universal's sole park decreased by more than 4%. That's pretty significant on all accounts. I don't know the story here but the numbers alone indicate Disney is siphoning existing guests from Universal as well as attracting new ones who haven't yet been to Universal (and likely never will). Which goes along with my own family's interest as well as some people I know who have gone to Japan solely for Tokyo Disney.

Another thing that caught me by surprise was how vast the difference in attendance numbers is between Disneyland California and Disney's California Adventure, with their respective attendance numbers being 18.6 million and 9.8 million. So... these parks are separated by a distance about 100 yards ... and yet the attendance for DL is 2x that of DCA. Surely I can't be the only one who is really surprised by that. Is it that only half the people who visit this area visit both parks? Or is it that locals really, really love DCA? lol

I think some people probably go for long weekends, and spend two days at DL, and one day at DCA. We used to go down for five days, and generally spent 60 to 70% of our time at DL.

I love this kind of stuff...

One thing that stands out to me are the Japan Disney and Universal numbers. For one, wow, I didn't realize the theme park industry in Japan was as big as it is. I mean, sure, I knew Disney had a fantastic park there (by all accounts I've seen/heard) but I didn't realize the parks there would rank 3rd and 4th, with Universal at 5th, behind only Magic Kingdom and Disneyland California. I would have never guessed that. Secondly, the % change for these three parks: Disney's (2) parks in Japan grew about 8% while Universal's sole park decreased by more than 4%. That's pretty significant on all accounts. I don't know the story here but the numbers alone indicate Disney is siphoning existing guests from Universal as well as attracting new ones who haven't yet been to Universal (and likely never will).

Oh yeah, people in Japan love theme parks! Yes, Tokyo Disney Resort is fantastic - but they also swarm to Orlando and Anaheim for Disney and Universal too. They love Disney, and so many people dress up in matching themed costumes (they're not really costumes as we think of it - but it's like themed dress - the hotel had a "costume boutique" where many young ladies get all done up for the parks). There is an intensity to it that rivals the US.

Which goes along with my own family's interest as well as some people I know who have gone to Japan solely for Tokyo Disney.

You can count me as one of those people! :teeth: Okay, I saw other stuff too, but the primary reason to go was TDL.

Oh yeah, people in Japan love theme parks! Yes, Tokyo Disney Resort is fantastic - but they also swarm to Orlando and Anaheim for Disney and Universal too. They love Disney, and so many people dress up in matching themed costumes (they're not really costumes as we think of it - but it's like themed dress - the hotel had a "costume boutique" where many young ladies get all done up for the parks). There is an intensity to it that rivals the US.

You can count me as one of those people! :teeth: Okay, I saw other stuff too, but the primary reason to go was TDL.
I expect Tokyo to continue to rise as their expansion get closer and then open. They also open soarin this year.

Thanks for compiling the charts @rteetz

What this shows me is theme park visitation is inelastic to price (at least on their own, apart for an economic downturn)

Prices have only gone up and look at that chart - especially for Disney but really all of the top 3

So prices are only going to keep going up

screen-shot-2019-05-23-at-2-15-43-pm-png.402527

Just curious. I had a quick trip to Universal Florida. Bought two day pass with two free days (3-park hopper). First day at U. 2nd at VB with IofA at night. 3rd day VB with U at night. 4th day IofA/U. So how are my park visits counted?

Hong Kong looks rather bleak but the rest is amazing. I'm amazed that so many people have so much money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter