• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

teacher discount

tysei1

Earning My Ears
I'm planning a trip to WDW in June and am leaning toward CBR. I am a teacher and heard something about a teacher discount. Can anyone tell me where to find more info about that? Thank you!

Do any of the Disney resorts offer this? Possibly you are thinking of the Swan & Dolphin which do offer teacher, nurses, etc discounts. (See the 2 major S/D threads here - one is anchored near the top of this board).

The Swan & Dolphin offer significant discounts to nurses & teachers. I don't think they post actual prices, but you can get more info from their website: http://www.SwanDolphin.com I was able to get the Dolphin over New Year's with the nurse/teacher rate, which was at least half the rack rate. Might be worth a look!

I, too, am a teacher. We stayed at the Dolphin this past August at the teacher rate of $129 a night. I could book up to three rooms. You need to show your teacher certification or pay stub or a letter from your principal upon check-in. This is an awesome rate for a deluxe resort. However, I'd call early since they have limited rooms at this rate offered in a given week.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
mouseteacher

The earlier this year they raised the teacher rate to $149. Still a great deal.

Just checked on the Dreams Unlimited site and the rate for August 2003 is showing at $129. However, the only proof they will accept is your state teacher certification certificate.

Just returned from the Dolphin, the teacher rate is still at $129. In the past they have always (yup, done it a lot) accepted my pay stub as proof. This time they didn't even ask to see it.

Haven't stayed there yet, but got deluxe balcony resort view at Dolphin for $174 (or standard for $129). When I reserved I was told that for the teacher rate I needed to provide a copy of my state certificate. For the nurse rate, a copy of my license. (And yes, a copy is okay). I'm bringing copies. The rack rate we were quoted is close to $400 when we are going, & I don't want to take a chance.

I, too, brought my state certificate since I didn't want to take any chances. I brought my original certificate figuring they may not want a copy. Figured, they could make a copy if they needed to. All went well upon check-in - no problem - received a standard room at $129 and got an upgrade to CL because of spg and Starwood AMEX cc.

Oh, I reserved two rooms (one for DB and his family) on my teacher rate - no problem there either... and I racked up spg points for my future trip.:)

also keep in mind that you may have to try various places to get this discount. It generally never comes up as available on their web site. I called the 800 # and could only get some of the days but dreams unlimited (link on this site) had all days at this rate

All went well upon check-in - no problem - received a standard room at $129 and got an upgrade to CL because of spg and Starwood AMEX cc.
I also booked at the nurse/teacher rate but upgraded to Deluxe balcony/resort view for $174/night. I will have an SPG AmEx with some points by then, and hope to upgrade to CL (but I know there is no guarantee, & really want resort view!) Are there different rates for CL as well (views, balconies) or is it all random? I'm wondering if I just go with the $129 rate, if I will end up in the same place anyway...?? If I call two weeks ahead to request an upgrade, would they let me know if I could get the same upgrade from the standard rate?
Thank you! :confused:

I was told I needed a certificate for our December trip. However, some people are certified that aren't working, so I think a pay stub would make more sense!
Robin M.

I am a certified teacher, but not currently teaching. I called the Dolphin desk directly to clarify, since obviously I don't have pay stubs, and they said all that mattered was being a teacher with a current certificate.

Incidently, before I finished my degree, I was working in a school district as a substitute teacher and my paychecks were paid out of the same account as the regular teachers. (At least in my state, K-12 subs could have a college degree in ANY subject -- no teaching background or certificate is required.) If the S & D will accept pay stubs as well as certificates, then it sounds like non-certified substitute teachers could qualify as well, though I doubt that the program was designed to include subs. (Personally, I don't want to take any chances, so I'm bringing my state license.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter