Tell me about January please

Nana2Callie

DIS Veteran
We were coming in May, then October, then December - but I'm not sure that I want to do the Christmas season so I'm wondering about early January. Tell me your experience - what to expect please. Thank you,

January is a mixed bag. Sometimes coolish and rainy, sometimes warmish and sunny. So pack accordingly.

We used to visit in January before the kids started school. About one - two weeks after New Year's, but before MLK weekend. It could be very quiet. The marathon brings people, but not Christmas/Easter mob scenes either. Water rides and water parks are usually closed for maintenance. It was good time to visit.

What to expect? In terms of crowds? Weather? Activities?

I think this year - due to the cancellation of runDisney - that takes that crowd out of the picture this year and that does impact the crowd flow normally.

They announced the Arts Festival at Epcot as starting January 8 - I think that's a nice add to Epcot in January.

The big thing about January is preparing for the WIDE variety of weather you can have then - you just have to pack for a 40 degree temperature range. And be prepared to "pack/dress" right for the park day - it could start in the 40's and be in the 80's by midday.

But I love January at Disney. It feels relaxed to me.

My daughter visited January 2018 and 2020. She hated it. A lot of people there both years. It was cool so jackets and jeans every day (no pool time), plus a lot of rides were down because of updates. Who knows how 2021 will be. Good luck.

Absolutely love January in Disney. We go multiple times a year in January to take advantage of the cooler weather and lower crowds. Weekdays are of course best, and avoid MLK weekend if you want to avoid heavy crowds. This year should be even better without the marathon!

We went the last week of Jan 2020. LOVED it. The crowds were manageable and the weather was so much better than June. We aren't pool people, so we didn't miss that at all. It was relaxing, we rode everything we wanted except FOP and 7DMT, and we were out of the parks by dinner. We stayed offsite, so we took advantage of the less expensive options outside the parks at night.

We had such a great time that dh, who really, really doesn't like it when I suggest Orlando theme parks for vacation, volunteered to come back Jan 2021 to do Universal and "that after dark thing you did with your sister in August" (MK DAH event). So, that is already booked and we are not cancelling it. Well, except that there is no DAH this year, so we'll just do one day at MK instead.

We wore jeans / jeggings every day; paired with layers. Highs ranged from upper 60s to upper 70s, and lows were mostly mid-50s. I only wore a sweatshirt one day, though I did wear a jacket over a french terry hoodie over a t-shirt the morning we hit HS at 6am in the dark and mid 40s. By lunchtime, the jacket was in the bag. Dh wore short sleeves most of the week, and told me it was the first time he'd been to Orlando that he didn't sweat himself to death. We drove, so we were able to overpack. We're flying this time, so I will have to be more strategic with packing, but do plan for 40s to 80s, and bring light layers and a park bag that can hold the things you take off.

We've been twice in mid-January (kind of in between Marathon weekend and MLK holiday). One trip the weather was nice (high 60s for highs) and crowds were low. Our other trip the weather was nice for part of the week and then got cold (low 50s for highs) with above-average crowds.

If you're sensitive to cold you'll want to bring layers, hats, gloves, etc., just in case. For DW anything below 80 is cold and she really didn't like the trip where temps were low. She bought a wool hat and gloves and still was uncomfortable.

I have visited WDW in January many times. It may be my favorite time of the year to be there. I normally go after the New Year's rush but before the MLK holiday weekend. Temperatures, as mentioned, vary widely- I have experienced freezing rain in January but have also encountered 80-degree weather (with no humidity). This year is unlike any other, so it is difficult to predict. There will be no marathon but many resorts have not yet reopened.

Thank you for all the info and we are looking to go the week before MLK. Planning to fly and so that does add to the packing dilemma.

We have went the past 2 years the last week of January into the first week of February. The heaviest I packed was a hoodie and leggings. We had the thin gloves and hats also. The first year (2019) was chillier then this year (20). We went swimming both years but are also from Michigan so the first year it was -20 when we went so even 60-70 felt nice in the heated pool.
We have road almost all the rides so we haven't had to deal with to many rides being down. Last year Test Track was down and the first year I believe Splash Mountain.
We are booked for the same week this year!

Thank you for all the info and we are looking to go the week before MLK. Planning to fly and so that does add to the packing dilemma.
I typically fly - and it is tougher to get everything in the suitcase for a January trip to FL vs. a May trip. I have taken some laundry soap to help - and typically wash in the sink my leggings/jeans/bulky shirt from the first day or two of the trip so I can wear them again later in the trip. A scarf has also been a must-pack because it can make a huge difference when its cold out (I have a great one from Disney that is not bulky but adds warmth).

I'm there every Nov - March and January is like they all say... a mixed bag. By January 2022 hopefully we will be back to some normalcy so just remember they have the 5K run and Epcots festival so there are tons more people there than there used to be. I really love Xmas time as the weather is usually very nice and the crowds may be there but it's uplifting.

I think this year - due to the cancellation of runDisney - that takes that crowd out of the picture this year and that does impact the crowd flow normally.

I wouldnt be so sure of that. What I mean is, the runners themselves don't impact the parks that much. Now, the runners who are there on vacation do and I am going to assume that not all of them who planned to go on vacation over marathon week/weekend will cancel their trip just because the races are virtual now. It will definitely make transportation easier and will open up resorts but you would have to think a good bit of the people who planned to be there the second weekend in January will still be.

I've lived in Florida for three years and have visited during Jan many times. Yeah, it can get cold. But like another poster said, it's touch and go. It can be nice wearing a jacket at Disney. The comfort adds to the ambiance. Get a coffee or hot chocolate. Typically, though I don't know now, but pools are heated. One of the best times of my life was going to Carribbean Resort in Jan and playing volleyball at midnight with my my wife. If it's too cold, fill the bathtub and relax.

We've done several January trips (3x right after New Years and 2 or 3 MLK weekends). The weather has always been a total crap shoot for us. Seems like we had colder weather more than we had decent weather. In fact the last 2 times that we went were FREEZING several days. Like wind chills in the upper 20's and low 30's. Long johns, hats, gloves, wool socks, pools CLOSED etc. So we've decided no more January trips. Did not enjoy standing outside for 14 hours a day freezing. Too cold to eat counter service meals outside etc. Nope. We would maybe have 2-3 days out of a week long trip that were decent.

We've done several January trips (3x right after New Years and 2 or 3 MLK weekends). The weather has always been a total crap shoot for us. Seems like we had colder weather more than we had decent weather. In fact the last 2 times that we went were FREEZING several days. Like wind chills in the upper 20's and low 30's. Long johns, hats, gloves, wool socks, pools CLOSED etc. So we've decided no more January trips. Did not enjoy standing outside for 14 hours a day freezing. Too cold to eat counter service meals outside etc. Nope. We would maybe have 2-3 days out of a week long trip that were decent.

I'm going to agree completely with @Anal Annie so that you will all stay away in January.

I love January. It's not necessarily warm, but you will get some really nice days. And you will get some where it will be cold. The evenings will definitely be cool enough for jackets and maybe gloves depending on how far the temp dips.

There are countless stories of people who came with shorts and tees buying expensive $79 sweat shirt souvenirs for their family.

It works for me, but I'm older and I drive, pack everything I need and sometimes only spend a couple of hours in a park, usually inside having dinner at Epcot, or I will walk around World Showcase for exercise.

On days I'm wearing a hoodie, I've seen cast members bundled up in parkas, so Floridians think it's cold because they are not acclimatized to northern weather. They are also standing around at a work station while I'm walking and in and out of buildings.

So, don't be afraid to come because of the cold, unless you really want to swim when it's 30-40 out. But, beware of the rain days, as that's a combo that sort of ruins it.

Pack to dress in layers. The weather is so unpredictable and daytime temps can be way different than nighttime temps.

I wouldnt be so sure of that. What I mean is, the runners themselves don't impact the parks that much. Now, the runners who are there on vacation do and I am going to assume that not all of them who planned to go on vacation over marathon week/weekend will cancel their trip just because the races are virtual now. It will definitely make transportation easier and will open up resorts but you would have to think a good bit of the people who planned to be there the second weekend in January will still be.

We were supposed to do the Star Wars race last year and when they cancelled it we changed to marathon weekend, hoping that it would be far enough out so that things might have been better. Even though they cancelled the races were are still going and going to run our own little 5k. As soon as they announced the cancellation I started looking for openings at the boardwalk but couldn't find anything, still waitlisted there though. Point is, I think you are right.

As far as January goes, we have been a few times and I really like it then but like everyone else says the weather is a crapshoot, and the crowds can be good. In 2009 (Jan 19-26) it was some crazy weather, almost record lows (got down to 32 during the fireworks) and then by the end of our week there I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt (mid 80s). Crazy.
Also, one year they had the Christmas decorations and music going well into January. I don't remember the exact date but it coincided with the marathon so like around the 10th or so. I don't mind the Christmas music but I love Disney bgm more so I would rather hear that when I am here, especially in January.

I've been in January multiple times and it is my favorite time of year to go because I don't like intense heat and humidity. We went January 2019 and were lucky with the weather, beautiful, sunny, dry and cool. Again in Janyar 2020, the weather was good (this was sometime during first two weeks of January). Other times we have been, it has been 39-40 degrees on a couple of days and I wore a parka, earmuffs and gloves, but I still saw people in shorts and flip flops. We have had the occaisional heavy rain but it was not typical of our January trips.

Try to avoid New Years Day, Marathon Weekend and MLK weekend. We have usually arranged our trips between these dates and it works out well in terms of crowds. The week before marathon weekend was not bad. Sund-Wed was dead, with people starting to arrive on Thursday. It still wasn't bad in terms of crowds but I would still avoid if they are doing it this year. I have never gone at the end January so not sure what events/groups might be attending.

I would always pack jackets and gloves and appropriate footwear (in addition to summer clothing) when traveling there in January. The temperature can swing wildly during the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!